PDA

View Full Version : What lube do you use

Andrew Quigley
12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
on the ram of your press? I just got my Dillon upgrade finished and was going to lube the ram last night but all I had was bearing grease. Got me to wondering what others use.

zxcvbob
12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I use Silicone spray. I've tried grease and oil but they attract dust and get sticky after a while.

blaser.306
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a Hornady LNL Progressive and it has factory installed grease zerks , All I have ever used is Exxon ( Epic 102 ) works very nicely and doesn't need much to get things running smooth as silk.

winelover
12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I use a dry lube on press rams so as not to attract grit. Hornady "One Shot" comes to mind.

Winelover

Ickisrulz
12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
There was just a thread on this subject no too long ago. It seems like people use pretty much everything and they all work. Just keep the ram clean and lubricated.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40.

LUBEDUDE
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Dillon told me to use 30 wt motor oil. And NOT grease.

Ickisrulz
12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=132749

Here's the other thread.

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I use WD-40. If I have it, a silicone spray if I am out of WD-40

I don't really have any trouble with grit because I clean it top to bottom after each session.

Happy New Year.

'74 sharps
12-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Ballistol - always on my bench...

btroj
12-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I have been using any old oil in the past but have started to use a bit of Bullplate. Works quite nicely.

seagiant
12-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi,
You guys need to buy a quart of Mobil 1 syn. oil! I use this on everything from my pistols to my reloading presses. After shooting for over 40 years I don't think you can do much better in the REAL world!

When the oil turns black and thin after use just wipe off and reapply sparingly,easy enough! Price is right also!

Andrew Quigley
12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Sounds like anything and everything just as long as it's slick. LOL!

Bullet Caster
12-29-2011, 09:39 PM
I have used boolit lube on my press ram, the 45/45/10 Alox/JPW/MS. When it turned black and kinda gummy I wiped it all off and now I use silicone fuser oil that is used in Kodak copiers. That stuff is slick as greased owl s**t. I was wondering if I could use it as boolit lube. Any suggestions?

In no certain terms would I ever use WD-40. That stuff causes metal to rust. I keep it away from all metal especially in guns except to spray into locks that stick and the key won't open it any longer. I thought I'd better clarify "locks" so you wouldn't think I meant to spray my flint "lock". BC

buyobuyo
12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I use lithium grease on my LNL-AP and Tri-Flow on my single stage.

Recluse
12-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I use Silicone spray. I've tried grease and oil but they attract dust and get sticky after a while.

+1

:coffee:

jimkim
12-29-2011, 11:26 PM
I've tried Rem Oil, Lithium grease, synthetic oil, Ed's Red, and Dexron VI. The best ones are either the Ed's Red or Dexron VI.

Ickisrulz
12-29-2011, 11:54 PM
In no certain terms would I ever use WD-40. That stuff causes metal to rust. I keep it away from all metal especially in guns except to spray into locks that stick and the key won't open it any longer. I thought I'd better clarify "locks" so you wouldn't think I meant to spray my flint "lock". BC

How in the world does WD-40 cause rust?

Reverend Recoil
12-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Rem-Oil works well on my presses. Three drops of most any kind of light oil is all that is needed.

stubshaft
12-30-2011, 12:48 AM
3 in 1 or whatever is handy.

338RemUltraMag
12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
I prefer ATF for oiling everything gun related, including my press

cp478
12-31-2011, 06:59 AM
what kinda lube is recomended for the dillon square deal b?

40Super
12-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I use a moly grease on the LNL and Break Free or Balistol on the single stages.

donald duck
01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I use Rislone (Drippings form adding to my engine oil) on cases, rams and anything that needs lubing. Use a Q tip to lube inside of case mouths before resizing. Resize .223 to 7 MM TCU in two steps, first to .225, then to 7 MM. Hardly ever have a case split. Try it, You may like it. Sure takes care of sticky valve lifters!!!!!!

1bluehorse
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
gun oil on the ram.

midnight
01-13-2012, 05:59 PM
I use Mobil 1, same as all my ARs.

Bob

catmasher
01-14-2012, 02:12 AM
VO5 hair cream
Slicker than you know what
Case lube too.
Don't laugh

dromia
01-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Synthetic 2/stroke oil - Bullplate. I've got so much of it about with all these NOE moulds. The little bottles are handy applicators and you can leave them all over the place where lubrication is needed.

Alvarez Kelly
01-14-2012, 03:39 AM
How in the world does WD-40 cause rust?

WD-40 is a water displacer. It is not a lubricant. It drives out moisture, but leaves no protectant behind. Metal sprayed down with WD-40 will be clean enough, but will not be lubricated OR coated in any way. Unfortuneatly, lots of folks think it is a cure all. I've had to replace a lot of locks on homes "lubed" by liberal use of WD-40 over time. The tumblers wear out. Dry graphite would work better for the locks.

Now... for the Dillon main shaft, I follow Dillon's own recommendation; a light coat of 30 weight engine oil.

Mooseman
01-14-2012, 04:08 AM
WD-40 is a water displacer. It is not a lubricant. It drives out moisture, but leaves no protectant behind. Metal sprayed down with WD-40 will be clean enough, but will not be lubricated OR coated in any way. Unfortuneatly, lots of folks think it is a cure all. I've had to replace a lot of locks on homes "lubed" by liberal use of WD-40 over time. The tumblers wear out. Dry graphite would work better for the locks.

Now... for the Dillon main shaft, I follow Dillon's own recommendation; a light coat of 30 weight engine oil.

Funny,
On the back of my can it says LUBRICATES,cleans, protects, penetrates, and displaces moisture.For Best rust protection do NOT wipe off... WD-40 has petroleum distillates as well as a fish oil and DMSO from what I saw in an old analysis report.

Kevin Rohrer
01-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Dillon suggests any motor oil to lube the ram.

I use Breakfree for lubing all my close tolerance parts and Synthetic motor oil for non-critical lubrication.

hiram1
01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
kroil is my friend

rugerdude
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
A couple of drops of Quantum Hot Sauce fishing reel oil works great. It is a lightweight, low viscosity oil that also has great shear strength and is designed to bond to metal.

If'n I can't lay my hands on that fairly quickly (my reel cleaning bench is right next to my reloading bench and is usually trashed), I use some spray silicone lube.

Alvarez Kelly
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Funny,
On the back of my can it says LUBRICATES,cleans, protects, penetrates, and displaces moisture.For Best rust protection do NOT wipe off... WD-40 has petroleum distillates as well as a fish oil and DMSO from what I saw in an old analysis report.

After years of replacing stuff that rusted away after being "lubricated" with WD-40, I don't care what the can says it does. Maybe it does lubricate for a short while... but I will no longer use it for ANYTHING. There are too many good products that actually protect metal to waste my money on something that actually seems to ATTRACT rust. Real world results trump advertisements everytime.

Bullet Caster
01-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I agree with Alvarez Kelly--WD 40 has never worked for me and I use it mostly to remove gunk from anything. If I want rust protection I'll use Remington's Gun Oil with Teflon as it has been PROVEN to adhere to metal not just on the surface but actuallly penetrates the surface of the metal. There was a thread posted on this forum where a guy did a test on just about all known lubricants. From this observation he stated that the best oil for protecting against rust was the Teflon oil. BC

Alvarez Kelly
01-18-2012, 01:32 AM
I LOVE Rem-oil. Spray teflon in a can. It works!

mtgrs737
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
I like and use Mobil One 15w50 synthetic motor oil on all my pistol slide to frame surfaces and hard working parts. I also like the Mobil One synthetic grease for those parts that need it. For press rams I use 90 weight synthetic gear oil keeping it well lubed, MEC recomends this weight oil for their presses.

I have used WD-40 on my steel moulds for years and have yet to find a speck of rust on them even though they have been stored in a unheated out building for many years between uses. I also spray/wipe my tools down with WD-40 and have never had a problem with rusting, so I don't know how some folks are having rusting problems using it. I do always shake the can or spray bottle before I use it to re-mix the contents as it does seperate after sitting for a while.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Gun oil, wipe to clean, couple more to lube.

1hole
01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not critical, there is precious little side loading on a ram so there is little wear effect. Anything that keeps it 'wet' will do all we need done.

Oil is better than grease simply because oil flows and takes some of the routine grit with it, gease just makes a gritty slurry and holds it in place.

WD-40 certainly doesn't 'cause' rust but it has little long term rust protection qualities, a couple of weeks maybe. Nor is it much of a lube, that's not what it's made for. It's perhaps the best surface water displacement treatment commonly available.

r1kk1
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm not a WD-40 fan either. I like Rem oil and Ballistol. I use Ballistol on yearly cleanings on my 550 and then Rem oil.

Take care

r1kk1