PDA

View Full Version : Paint in or out?

iwottopq
12-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Hello to all.
I made GC with GC maker by Pat Marlin for my .308 boolits.
I use a layer of litho sheet and a coca can layer overlying with the coca can sheet in the outside.
The question is: Is best to put the painted side of the coca can in the outside or is best the inner side (that seems to have a light plastic layer on it)?
Thanks in advance
Nino

pistolman44
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I would think to keep the painted side of can not to touch barrel bore. Just incase the painted side would foul the bore after a lot of fireings. Maybe not the right answere, but this is what I would do.

waksupi
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I think you may be plowing new ground, and will need to experiment to see if there is a difference. And then report back!

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I have never heard of any testing in this area but I would put the painted side "in" until somebody decides to do the work.

Happy New Year.

Sagebrush7
12-29-2011, 12:59 PM
I have experimented with painted coil stock and clear finshed aluminum. Both will jam up a check die in about 2000 checks. Since the base for paint is stripped mined out of the ground in south Georgia I would not recommend having it turned out on a check. My two cents worth!

JeffinNZ
12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I put the Coke can material on the inside of the check. Being only 4 thou thick I fear there is a risk of the rifling cutting through it and compromising the material. Litho outer, soda can inner. Paint/ink side doesn't matter in my results.

iwottopq
12-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Hello to all.
Thanks for the replies.
The question born becouse I thinks that is more easily to clean a barrel with traces of paint that a barrel with traces of melted plastic. I used so far a few GC with painted side outside.
If will be news I will report you.
Thanks again.
Nino

beagle
12-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I try and make them with the paint in. So far, I haven't noticed any pain in the bore although a few tend to flip on me.

I don't think it makes any difference as the inside of the can has some type of coating./beagle

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I have made and shoot 500 or so popcan checks
with my 35 cal Patmarlin checkmaker die set, all with Paint/ink side OUT.
To be honest, I did so because it made the boolits look cool.
all shot in 357 mag revolvers with a standard load of Bluedot.
I have seen no indication of bore fouling.
I have recovered a few of these boolits,
IIRC, most of the Paint/ink was still on the check...except for where
the sharp edges of the rifling scratched it.
Jon

FrontSite
12-31-2011, 01:12 AM
HI,
I've used several hundred Litho/Coke can checks in 30 cal. and haven't seen a whit of difference regarding which side is to the powder. Mine seem to punch better (FreeChex) with the Coke can as the base.
When I shoot with my buddies they can often can see the red of the coke can base as the bullet wings out to towards the 300 meter steel pig, not all the time but if the sun is shining on the base just right. Kinda cool, I think.

iwottopq
12-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Hello to all.
After your replies (and incouraged by these...)I made some trials with the coca can sheets inflaming a strip of this with a lighter but no sign of paint or plastic melted.
Then I shooted 200 boolits loaded to obtain a mean velocity of 450 m/s and another time no sign of red (or another color) during the cleaning. So the same after another 200 boolits with the outside of GC by the inside of the can.
I think that no there is difference to shoot with the paint in or out.
Thanks to all for the help.
Ciao
Nino

canyon-ghost
12-31-2011, 10:25 AM
This is one of those questions we'll have to ask a chemist. I think I'd rather shoot the gun than analyse the checks.