PDA

View Full Version : Digital Powder dispensers

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-29-2011, 01:39 AM
I've been considering one of the dispensers for s while now, and would like to hear some opinions from any one who has used more than one brand. I have a RCBS rangemaster scale, but I think it is the older model that will not work with the mew dispenser, bummer.
Anyway, what do you like / dislike about the various offerings?
Thanks

thehouseproduct
12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
I have the Hornady and love it. Great time saver. Best thing for ladder testing ever. Just punch in the number and it gives it to you.

Bullwolf
12-29-2011, 08:05 AM
A friend bought me a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for my birthday. I had just got around to trying it out the other night.

He said it was one of the most selfish gifts he had ever bought for someone else, because he intended to get quite a bit of use out of the thing when he loads with me at my place.

I had mixed feelings about the dispenser, and I probably would have never gotten one for myself.

That being said, now after using it I found out that I really like it a lot.

I loaded up 120 rounds of 300 Winchester Magnum last night using IMR 4831, which normal meters all over the place for me, and I just end up measuring it out by hand.

I let the Chargemaster go to town on the powder charges, and boy was it pleasant not to have to do it all myself.

As long as you don't bump the trickle dispenser while you are picking up the powder pan, it's pretty nice. It meters very consistent powder charges, and it sure beats trying to do them perfectly by hand with a balance beam scale.

I double checked all charges on my old faithful scale, but it was always right where it said - still old habits die hard.

If I had to pick something bad to say about it, I would say it does have kind of a large footprint. It takes up a good amount of bench space. I also can't empty all of the powder out of the dispenser through the drain valve, and I end up dumping it upside down to drain it completely when changing powders.

I really do like the fact that it has a powder drain valve on the side to empty most of the powder out, I just wish it got ALL the powder out. I suppose it's easier to empty out than a lot of progressive measures that are screwed down, or into the press though.

I did appreciate the AC jack too, and not having to mess around with any batteries. The Chargemaster has a nice built in memory for saving popular charge weights too. The auto dispense feature surprised me the first time, but after I got used to it, I found that I really appreciated it. It took me a while to figure out the operation and calibration parts, but once I worked out how the whole thing functioned, it was a breeze to use.

It takes me maybe 18-28 seconds to trickle out 70 grains of IMR 4831. I don't know if that's too slow for someone else, but it was just about the perfect amount of time for me to weigh and dispense a charge. By the time I was done, another charge was ready and waiting for me in the pan.

I know the units are a bit pricey, but it really shined when dispensing annoying inconsistent metering powder in my opinion. What a time saver! I will be using mine quite often from now on.

Unfortunately it is the only digital powder dispenser that I have ever used, so I can't say how much better, or worse it is than the competition.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904efc51e484b72.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3153)

- Bullwolf

midnight
12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
My RCBS is a lifesaver when dispensing 190 to 230gr for the 50BMG. I can pour the powder into the case and seat the bullet and have the next charge almost ready for me.

Bob

contender1
12-29-2011, 09:53 AM
I have the Lyman, and like the other users here, I do enjoy mine. I like to get exact powder charges for my serious rifle caliber loads. I used to hand weigh all of my serious loads. Now,,, it's Soooo much faster using my Lyman auto dispenser. Since I've been reloading a long time, and all my equipment has paid for itself many times over, I can easily see the added expenses for good tools.

bruce drake
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I bought a Hornady Lock-N-Load 1500gr Bench Scale this fall. The first one wouldn't calibrate out of the box so it got sent back and the replacement came shortly from Hornady's customer service center in Nebraska once their next shipment from China came in.

Despite the fact that it is made in China, it is accurate, fast and is easy to use.

I just wish more stuff was made in the United States instead of Communist dictatorships.

Bruce

bruce drake
12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Bullwolf,

RCBS has brought out an upgrade to your Chargemaster that deals with the residue issues you mentioned if you want to go that route (tilting the unit is probably not that great a fix).

Bruce

milprileb
12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I have the RCBS model, my buddy got the Lyman. Four years later we both have no issues with either. I have no idea about the Hornady model but I would guess its as good and its priced a bit better.

Use: Except for rare circumstances, my powder measures are in the drawer. It takes no effort to load exact rifle charges with the digital measure than to throw inaccurate ones with measure and trickle up. Oh ... I could just dump powder from measures, save 10 minutes time in 50 rounds over the digital and make half great ammo....wasting expensive primer and bullets in a less accurate loaded round. Save 20 minutes in 100 rds loaded. Maybe if I had the $275 Culver measure, that time saved would be nice but I ain't found 20 minutes did much for me.

Load development: every charge is exact and I can find the sweet load and duplicate it effortless.

Down side: Not cheap but a nice luxury item for the bench. Not a must have item for normal loaders at all. For older guys with old eyes, the big bold numbers on the RCBS scale and the DING when the correct charge has been dumped make powder charging effortless.

Westwindmike
12-29-2011, 11:21 AM
My friend has the Lyman unit and one day it just stopped working. None of the buttons would do anything. It was in warranty (by about a week) and they fixed it.

The big problem I have with all of them is the 1 year warranty. If they are that good, why not a longer/ lifetime warranty?

milprileb
12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Westwindmike; I agree. That is a concern although mine has not given me any issues.

However, like calculators becoming cheap, I hope these devices drop in price and get more warranty coverage. They are not cheap to replace at current price levels.

Well founded concern indeed. If your gut tells you its too early to invest in one, it probably is.

Not sure I am not in the same boat on this thought.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Are they stable enough, to say be dispensing a charge while you seat a bullet on the same bench or are they gonna go all wonky on you?
I can see changing my routine to take advantage of the dispense time, am I gonna have to have it on an undisturbed bench?
My RCBS digi scale is very touchy, cant even breath near it!

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been considering one of the dispensers for s while now, and would like to hear some opinions from any one who has used more than one brand. I have a RCBS rangemaster scale, but I think it is the older model that will not work with the mew dispenser, bummer.
Anyway, what do you like / dislike about the various offerings?
Thanks

I have only used the RCBS.

Bought the scale first really love it.
Bought the charger about a year later.

see:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews/rcbs-1500.htm

for pros and cons.

Happy New Year

parrott1969
12-29-2011, 12:51 PM
My hornady lnl is very sensitive and I can not do anything else on the bench while it is dispensing. As a matter of fact I can not run the A/C while using it. The shop is 15x15 and the A/C is located on the other end of the shop and the air current still causes it to bounce around.

winelover
12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Are they stable enough, to say be dispensing a charge while you seat a bullet on the same bench or are they gonna go all wonky on you?
I can see changing my routine to take advantage of the dispense time, am I gonna have to have it on an undisturbed bench?

I seat bullets on my bench as I'm waiting for the Chargemaster to dispense the next one. BTW, my bench is 6 ft. long and isn't bolted to anything. Works for me.

Winelover

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Yes. I do it all the time. You have to find something to do with the trickling time. It is not significantly sensitive to slight shaking.

This problem is not going to go away. I have not noticed breathing being a problem but I have to be sure there are no fans running.

( In fairness, I have never owned a scale that was not sensitive to air currents. )

Happy New Year!.

35isit
12-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I have yhe Lyman and it is prone to drifting with air currents. It will drift when walking around or moving in my chair. Not so much seating bullets.

milprileb
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't know about your reloading bench conditions for this RCBS unit but on my bench, I hit dispense and by the time I pull out a case from loading block, stuff funnel on top of neck and pick up a bullet , the DING happens and I can now pour powder into case and stick bullet in it and put it on the block set aside for bullets awaiting seating process.

My combo digital scale moves that powder darn fast, I don't have time to do anything but essential motions as mentioned.

If mine were slow, I would send it back to RCBS for tune up.

Gillie Dog
12-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Jim,

Yes, if the bench is not like a rock it will shake the dispenser/scale. When on the same bench as the press used for seating I saw significant amounts of errors indicated by the machine. Moved it of the side on a separate table and the "problem" went away. I have never seen a "wind" problem where I am set up but my equipment is all at desk height and I am sitting on a swivel chair while loading. About 120 degree turn from scale to loading block to press, no moving/stepping just spin around. By the time I have the bullet seated it beeps at me it is done dispensing that load and no "wind" has effected it.

GD

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I got the Lyman one for my Birthday a month ago. So far it has worked very well but only time will tell.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the name brand devices, and as far a s the Warrantee goes just don't send the card in, they would have a hard time telling when the thing was bought.

Randy

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2011, 06:41 AM
ive got a pact setup and a lyman. the lyman is a bit faster but i kind of like the pact and use it the most. Nice thing about the pact too is that its two differnt units. So a guy can easily take the scale and use it seperately. Another nice thing is if one of the two goes bad it can be replaced cheaper then buying an entire new self contained unit.

milprileb
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
There is a track record of comments that vibrations on the bench do effect these units. That is a consideration to ponder before you buy if you have a reloading sequence that makes such vibrations.

Lots to consider before plonking the big bucks on one of these machines. Look before you leap.