PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP and moly lubed lead bullets

idahoron
12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Has anyone used spray on moly on lead 45 ACP bullets? I will be starting to load for a 45 ACP soon and am curious about options for lube. I use Lee sizers and the mould is a TL452-230-R2 tumble lube mould. Ron

Carolina Cast Bullets
12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Just use 45/45/10, instructions and more on a thread by "recluse"

If you cant find it, PM me and I'll show you how to make/use it.

I use it and it works great

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

P.K.
12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
The tumble lube workes just fine. BTDT.

ku4hx
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
I have this mold and the truncated cone version. Boolits cast from both work very well in my guns with thinned LLA. Roll a few hundred around in a gallon freezer bag and then pour 'em out and let 'em dry.

To me Moly coating is like mold release, just more trouble than it's worth.

LUBEDUDE
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I've used it with positive results.

Now I've only used it with pistol caliber in both rifle and pistol. I have no need to go over 1000 fps. Have no leading and skip a few cleanings if desired.

Sure is a PIA and wasteful. Tumbling is better.

Lube is lube.

leadman
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I tried it years ago in a 1911 45acp. This gun was prone to leading with the hard lube I used back then.
I tried the spray moly alone and over the hard lube. alone it leaded worse than just the hard lube. sprayed over the hard lube leading was almost non-existant.

Accuracy with the spray moly alone was not as good as hard lube or hard lube and spray.

Another option not mentioned is Rooster Jacket. This is a liquid lube for low velocity loads only. Many of the 22 rimfire bullets are lubed with this. I have not tried it yet but have read of some positive results with it. The chemist at Rooster Labs is a wealth of info and is willing to talk.

DLCTEX
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
+1 on the 45-45-10, done correctly. Fast, effective, and no stickiness or buildup in dies or chamber.

Bullwolf
12-30-2011, 01:38 AM
I tried it a couple of times about 15 years ago when experimenting with different types of spray on coatings.

I tried spray on Moly coatings on 44 special, and 9mm. Both with and without Alox. Oddly enough I never tried applying it to 45 ACP.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904eb4af933c5db.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2599)

I really did not like the smell of the Moly, and it came off the boolits pretty easily. It was hard to get an even coat, and it seemed to adhere the best when it was sprayed on really hot boolits.

Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the Moly spray coating all by itself as a boolit lube. At the time I just went back to just tumble lubing using Lee Liquid Alox. I did not know about Recluse's 45-45-10 (JPW+Alox+Mineral spirits) formula back then.

You will likely end up with some headache leading in your 45 if you just start off only using a spray on Moly coating as a boolit lube.

The Moly coating won't survive one pass through the Lee sizing die, and is a really poor lubricant for sizing your cast boolits. It will tend to chip and flake off when you are handling and loading the boolits, as well as in the magazine, and when the boolits contact the feed ramp.

If it's your first time, why not try tumble lubing your cast boolits with a light coating of the Lee Liquid Alox that came with your Lee sizer kit? I found it easier to work with the Alox after it had dried on the boolits in front of a fan, than the spray on Moly coating. I had a lot better results using the Alox too.

Perhaps look into making yourself some of Recluse's great 45-45-10 mix later on down the road, if you find that you like the ease of tumble lubing .

Tumble Lubing -- Made Easy and Mess-Free - Or how to make 45-45-10.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

- Bullwolf

idahoron
12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Well it looks like I am going to give the 45-45-10 a try. Thanks Ron