PDA

View Full Version : Bullet design ? for revolvers

rockrat
12-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Has anyone noticed any difference in accuracy, lack of leading, ect (better performance)of tumble lube designs vs. traditional designs, in revolver use?

Kind of like between the lyman 429421 design vs a tumble lube design

stubshaft
12-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Nope, I generally migrate towards traditional designs but have put my fair share of TL boolits through my barrels.

Bret4207
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
My experience with TL designs is very limited, but so far they were not as good as traditional.

Keyston44
12-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I've been shooting commercial cast boolits for 25 years. Two years ago I started casting my own. Because of cost and not knowing if I would like casting, I bought a couple Lee TL molds. I like them so much that I bought a couple more. I have 6 now and a couple Ranch Dog molds. I don't see any accuracy difference in my handguns from the commercial cast I was shooting before. I eliminated my leading problems with casting my own. I'm sure that's because they fit my guns better.
I can't give you an opinion of any other manufactures mold because I haven't tried any.
So with my limited experience I say the Lee TL molds work great for what I want.

Key

Guesser
12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I've been reluctant to try a TL, simply because the conventional designs have worked so well for me. I even TL several of the Lyman/Ideal bullets and had great luck. I TL'ed 358311 and 429421 and used in 38 Special and 44 Special; 452374 worked well in 45 Auto, altho, very messy when TL'ed.

44man
12-29-2011, 11:03 AM
TL boolits shoot OK but I will NOT use LLA on them. They work just fine with a good lube.
I don't like to cuss but LLA is a cuss word in my basement! :bigsmyl2:

MtGun44
12-30-2011, 07:27 PM
What Bret said. Tried them, had poor to fair results on the target, really, really disliked the
sticky crud on the front of the boolits, so just quit using it. A solution in search of a
problem if you already own several different lubrisizers like I do. I can see where the new
guy can get started with less cost, and for many (me when I started, too) cost is a very serious
issue.

Bill

shooting on a shoestring
12-30-2011, 11:36 PM
I've got the Lee 158 TL and 358477 and 358156. Of the three in my 4 inch k frame, they all work about the same in low to mid .38 velocities (800 and under). Although, the best 100 yard 6 shot group I've shot was with the TL158, it was 7 and 1/4", lots more right around 12 inches. Shooting sitting with back against a pole, forearms on knees. I've had less 100 yard precission with 358477, and rarely use 358156 these days.

Shuz
12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
My experience with TL designs is very limited, but so far they were not as good as traditional.

That's been my experience as well. Besides, I don't like that goopy LLA stuff. I've tried everything to make it work and not be "tacky", but have never really succeeded.
When tumble lube designs were put in my lubersizers, they performed OK.

Maven
12-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Has anyone noticed any difference in accuracy, lack of leading, etc. (better performance)of tumble lube designs vs. traditional designs, in revolver use? Kind of like between the lyman 429421 design vs a tumble lube design

rockrat, My experience with the 240gr. SWC TL boolit is a bit different than others. Firstly, the CB was a trifle undersized for my Ruger SBH. I.e., I was able to size the Ly. 429421 and the RCBS clone of it to .431", but the Lee TL CB just passed through the sizing die without any metal being moved. Secondly, in spite of being undersized, it was almost as accurate as the Lyman & RCBS CB's up to 1,050fps. Beyond that, accuracy deteriorated and forcing cone leading rose. The Lyman and RCBS Keith types, on the other hand, remained accurate up to 1,200fps, which is as fast as I ever pushed them. Lastly, the manner of applying lube, i.e., tumble lubed in liquid alox v. lubed via lube sizer, made no difference at all in perfomance in the TL CB's. Btw, the SBH wears a 10.5" bbl. and is quite accurate. In short, the 240gr. SWC-TL cast well and was good for plinking and casual target practice, but the Lyman & RCBS Keith types were more accurate and more versatile as well.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
What Mtn Gun 44 said. I got a Lyman 450 when I got started, so tumble-lubing wasn't on the radar for me. I don't think Lee offered it at the time, anyway (1981). Speer sticky swaged bullets didn't impress me, though Hornady's Dusty Critters did all right. I still load their 38 HBWCs once in a while.

LLA as a paper-patch bullet coating has done well for me.