PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle, Same Ol' J-bullets

TXGunNut
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Hunting about an hour south of where Ranch Dog hangs his hat, shot a nice big older mgmt spike and brother shot a big old 10 pt with a small rack. Have pics, forgot cord to connect them to my laptop.:redneck: Smartphone would be nice right now. Missed a good pig with a RD 45-70 460-350 about dark, hog was so spookiy he jumped when a rabbit startled him-twice. Second time was an instant before the trigger broke. We'll try again tomorrow.
Had a new Super Grade M70 30-06 given to me by my gracious host so I had to kill something with it, right?

Crawdaddy
12-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Congrats... Looking forward to seeing pics of the deer and rifle. What part of texas? I am on a lease on the Palo Duro Canyon. Talk about pretty!. Going back over in January to try and get a hawg.

x101airborne
12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Man, someone GAVE you a super grade 70? I want one..... LOL. Of course you had to kill something with it. When hogs get that spooky, I get more excited. They are usually shot at quite a bit if not having been shot before and survived. Trap smart and spooky hogs is why the nite vision is going on my 50 beowulf. When you only get one shot..... They are as much of a trophy to me as that old mossback 10 pointer that sees you an hour before you get there.

TXGunNut
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, my brother gave me a Super Grade but he was so excited about it I ordered him one as well when they became available. Mine was replaced under warranty, his has much prettier wood. :grin: Almost too purty to hunt with.
Damn hog gave me the slip again last night, cow wandering by the feeder at dark-thirty didn't help much either. He showed up at last shooting light and hung out in the shadows until after I left. I even fixed the feeder and put out extra corn yesterday! No gratitude.:wink:
Lease is between Beeville and Refugio, pretty far off the beaten path. Drove thru Cuero on the way down, was wondering where that was. Water and electricity have to be hauled in. :wink: Heavy fog this morning so gave the piggies the AM off. Decided a spit bath and a pot of coffee beat sitting in a stand staring at fog. Heading back to civilization tomorrow am, think I'll check out activity at other stands after lunch. I really want to put one of these RD bullets thru a big chunk of pork!

TXGunNut
01-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Just got in, running water and electricity are pretty cool! Lets see if I can post the pics I promised. Nothing to brag about, just a great trip with my brother. We both took management deer Wednesday, the adult spike and the basket-rack 11-point don't represent the genetics they are looking for on this lease.