PDA

View Full Version : Need a fast answer

EWOK
03-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm going to look at some lead that was said to used on shrimp boats and the guy wants 50 cent a pound, is it worth it, said 100 to 50 pounds? Any body know what this lead is?

madcaster
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
It could be anything,if you can scratch it with your fingernail it is soft lead for muzzleloaders,anything else is probably wheelweights and worth about 20 cents per pound.
Probably anchor/net material.

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
like madcaster said 50 cents a lb is high for unknown lead. Most of the fisherman around here use ww for net weights.

EWOK
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys, I leave work in 25 minutes and going by talk with this guy, he runs this army surplus place and said the scrap yard said they would give him 25 to 30 cent but I'll get him down or left him haul it off himself, going to look anyway. Funny I did call this one scrap yard that said they take but don't resale it?

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
scap yard will give him between 7 and 18 cents a lb right now. Those are the figues ive been quoted up here. Offer him 25 max. The scrap yards sell it up here for 35 cents a lb.

Merc41
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
EWOK

If I remember correctly, the lead we used on our shrimp nets was pretty soft. In our part of Louisiana, we shrimped in the river, and the bottom was soft mud.
This probably don't help too much, but if it were me I would probably pass. But I am cheap also. :-D

frank505
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
If you get this lead, be careful of salt left on the lead because it will have water in it. Wash it well and dry well before melting.

EWOK
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Well all you guys were right, when I got there he had one of those "gates" or whatever it's called sitting out. This thing looks to be 4'x6' wood with the lead plate attached to the bottom board with brass screws. The lead is 3/4 or maybe 1" thick x 4" x 18" roughly. We tried to free the lead from the board by using a hammer to break the brass bolt, looked to be #10 screws, but they don't break that easily(I broke one of his cheap short handled pick axes). There was at least 1/8" of salt on all exposed surfaces of the lead. He said he had 40 of these gate and I estimated that there was at least 10 pound of lead on each, so thats 400 pounds of lead and probably 10 pounds of salt(don't need the salt). I offered him $50 for them all and I would remove the lead, he said he had a guy working there he had to pay anyway and didn't know what he really wanted for it and that I could check back in a couple of weeks and see if he had them removed. Mumbling to himself, it sounds like he thinks he can get 25 cent a pound from the scrap yard for this and that would be $100 so if I get by there sometime I will see what has come of it, like someone said I'll probably just pass on this, by the way, I picked up 65 pounds of free WW on the way over at a tire place, that a total of of 145 pound from this one place in a month along with a 160 pounds I already had, I think it's time to smelt and start casting, should give me a few thousand bullet for my 44 and 45 to play with this summer and I got a couple more tire places to check out. I wasn't going to start casting till I had a descent amount of lead but when I took the scales out to the barn and weighted it all I had alot more than I thought. I cast some muzzle loader boolits maybe ten or twelve years ago, so I got a Lee bottom pour pot and have an old cast iron dutch oven pot for the smelting, angle iron and mig welder to make some ingot molds. bought a Lee 6 banger 45 mold and a bunch of knowledge I've gained here so I think since it's warming up some here that I'll be making my own before long. Thanks for all the help and I'll probably be asking for some more.

hpdrifter
03-01-2007, 10:42 PM
welifitsoftmabewortit,butkindasteepseemstome.

about as fast as i can make it

EWOK
03-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Rick, there's one in every crowd, but thanks anyway.