PDA

View Full Version : Price for headspacing

white eagle
12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
what would I expect to pay for a headspace and fit of a rifle barrel ?
the barrel is a pre-fit barrel from pac-nor chambered and threaded so all the gunsmith should have to do is bump the shoulder a bit to get proper headspace.
Curious ?

Rusty W
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't know what a fair price would be. I have a local gunsmith that's a small shop & he's checked my work for free. I've been dealing with him for years on other projects & he treats me fair. I swap barrel's on a couple different savage rifles & here's what I do. So far it's worked for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICBv-0U87Y&feature=player_embedded#!

tomme boy
12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
If it is for a savage I would not pay any more than $15. They are the easiest to do. What cailiber? I have a wrench an blocks I could send you. You would need a HS gauge or a piece of brass that is FL sized to set it.

Nobade
12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Short chambered or long chambered? If it's long chambered and doesn't need indexing you're looking at about 45 minutes of work. In my shop at $75/hour that's $56.25.

If it's short chambered and my reamer happens to have a bigger neck and body than what's already there it's about 1.5 hours. If their reamer happens to be bigger than mine, your chamber will have steps in it and look like ****. At that point I will give you the lecture about not buying short chambered barrels, and let you decide if you want me to leave you with a stepped chamber or cut enough off and fix it. Time? 3-4 hours including trying to get you on the phone and explain what is going on. Oh, if it's fluted, has sights, octagon, etc. that takes indexing then that adds to the time and it will just depend on what it takes to make it right.

So, it is hard to quote a job like that. But I for one would much rather you start with an unthreaded blank than what you have now. It is way faster and easier to just do it right from the start instead of trying to make a halfway done job turn out properly. I can easily start with a blank and have it fitted up in an hour or maybe 75 minutes, including indexing.

Reg
12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I think most shops charge from 50 75 bux. Sometimes even more depending on whats involved. There is just a bit more involved than "bumping" it on a lathe and expecting the headspace to be perfect and the rifle to feed properly.
Even on these pages, you can see where someone gets involved with trying to fit a barrel and all of a sudden a whole new series of complacations will arise.
If it was easy a cave man could do it. Many try and a lot of them get in trouble.
Take it to someone who really knows what they are doing and pay their price.
It's your fingers , eyes and life.

:coffeecom

white eagle
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
It is for a win model 70 push feed
I do believe it is long chambered being why the smith has to set the shoulder back
280 ai is what it is
No one ever gotten a prefit barrel from Pac-Nor ??

tomme boy
12-29-2011, 01:57 AM
$150 tops for fitting a long chambered barrel.

Char-Gar
01-01-2012, 03:00 PM
In my part of the world, a good gunsmith will charge $150 to $175 to fit a threaded barrel to an action, adjust the chamber and set the headspace correctly.

John Taylor
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
$50 in my shop.