PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about a certian smith

aarolar
12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
My dad bought a 19-5 nickle plated back when he was 22 and 5 years ago some ******* broke into his house and stole it among several other guns. I would like to replace it this coming Christmas and want to get started looking early, what can yall tell me about these guns? From searching around online they seem to be pretty rare are their any certain models or years I should be looking for or are they all about equal?

Dan Cash
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
A 19-2 is probably a more desireable revolveer in that its barrel is pined and the chambers are recessed. They are not particularly rare but people who have them tend to keep them. Check the gun auctions and the Smith & Wesson forrum. You could even put a wanted to buy notice in the buy/sell section of this forum.

missionary5155
12-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Good morning
Have a 19-5 down here with me in Peru but blued. Really a nothing special model. Does everything I would expect a caliber .357 to do. Had a 6" barrel on it but I really wanted something a bit more versitile for "in the Samurai" while out in the mountains so the barrel got a taste of the hacksaw & is now 3.5". Well built, OK action but I would not trade away a DW for one. I would be inclined to beging a dialog and find out if your dad really wants another one. If so charge ahead. But if someone offered me a DW 15-2 with lets say a 2", 4" & or 6" barrel I would certainly go that route.
Mike in Peru
Mike in Peru

Bret4207
12-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, I simply adore my M19. Mine is blued, as God intended guns to be, and older than dirt. If your Dad really wants one then start haunting the auction sites.

txbirdman
12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I've always been a Model 19 guy like Brett. The 19-5 is when they dropped the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. I currently only have a 19-3 with a 4" barrel. It's a blued gun which I prefer. I did have a nickle 19-4 that was in perfect condition but a relative kept bugging me until I sold it to him. The 19's are great revolvers with a lot of power in a compact package. If I could only have 1 handgun it would be the one.

bobthenailer
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I have had various S&W model 19 & 66 over the years ! i currently have a 4 inch 19 and a 2 1/2 inch 66 ther nice carry guns and shoot well. My wife has clamed them as hers ! she likes the lighter weight of them
However my favorite S&W 357 mag is the 686 for all around shooting and durablity with full power loads. ive had 3 different ones and currently have one
Ive had a S&W model 28 & 27 but both are gone . currently i have 2 - 627's for revolver speed matches where the 8 shots & fullmoon loaders are a + , but prefer the 686 for a all around gun.

Love Life
12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
My dad bought a 19-5 nickle plated back when he was 22 and 5 years ago some ******* broke into his house and stole it among several other guns. I would like to replace it this coming Christmas and want to get started looking early, what can yall tell me about these guns? From searching around online they seem to be pretty rare are their any certain models or years I should be looking for or are they all about equal?

There was a nickle 19-5 in the gun store here is great condition. I believe the man wanted $535 out the door. I can give him a call if you like, or I can give you the gunshop's number. I think it had a 4 inch barrel, but I'm not 100% sure. It had a red insert on the front sight and S&W wood grips. Let me know and I will pass the info on to you.

Dale53
12-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I am not a particular fan of the Model 19. But then, I tend to shoot a lot. I had a very nice Model 19 that was, frankly, everything that it should have been. However, I got spooked by the failures of 19's that were shot a lot. It is really a gun for "carrying a lot and shooting a little".

I replaced my Model 19 with a Model CS-1 4" (686) and have never looked back. In fact, a couple of years ago I added a 6" Model 686. I consider that a better platform for full house .357's than the original Model 19.

But then, I shoot a lot...

Dale53

MT Gianni
12-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I have a 66-5, 2.5 " that I am on the verge of selling down the river. It doesn't shoot as well for me as a 4' version. Whether it is aging eyes or the gun I am not sure.

rintinglen
12-30-2011, 02:52 AM
You will have to look on the used market for a M-19 of any flavor. The K-frame Smiths were discontinued 6 or 7 years ago and replaced with the inferior looking 619 and 620 models. They may be good guns, but they don't appear as well finished and fitted as their K-frame predecessors. They just don't feel or look as nice as the Model-19's did. I've a 4 inch M-66 that I think highly of, it is my "If-I-could-only-have-one" gun.