PDA

View Full Version : New front sight help

Hubertus
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
After a real real silent year shooting and posting wise I’d like to have another go at the load development for my 45-70.
You may have read about the little issues with the loose front sight, which has been fixed but another problem arose: Since I have tried several different boolits and loads the mechanical zero is almost every time different - I would like to invest in better front sight with windage adjustment and spirit level.
That way I can dial in the mechanical zero on the front sight and leave the windage for the rear sight. Currently I have the Pedersoli USA469 installed.
Plus a little, what we call "equipment motivation" is always nice, too.

My search criteria might not have been optimal but mostly I found discussion about rear sights.

Looking at the BACO page there is Red River.
MVA: #112, #118, #120
Pedersoli offers the USA426.

It needs to be fitting the 3/8” Pedersoli dovetail.
Are there other manufacturers? What is available on the market? What would you buy?

Thank you in advance
Hubertus

gunplumber
12-28-2011, 10:56 PM
i really like my montana vintage arms sights, somthing like the #112

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/globes.html

Hubertus
12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Oh, yes, MVA, stupid to forget them, since I had looked at their rear sights - thanks.
I'll update the original post.
Are there any others out there?

Hubertus

EDG
12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I do not know what sort of shooting your do. If it is competition you might continue the way you are headed.

If you are a range shooter some of the Pedersoli sights are or can be set up with 2 windage adjustments.
The Soule has to have the parts added for the Sharps type windage on the slider
The Pedersoli precision sights already have 2 windage adjustments one in the base and one on the eyepiece slider.

RMulhern
12-29-2011, 01:16 PM
In my opinion this is the best FS on the market today! It doesn't set overly high requiring added elevation on the rear staff and it is also canted 2* to give a very 'rounded view' of the aperture when shooting long range. It also works well at the shorter ranges even though canted! The level bubble is inside the tube housing doing away with reflected sunlight! A top-notch/quality product!!

http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPages/DTProduct.htm:bigsmyl2:

RMulhern
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM
In my opinion this is the best FS on the market today! It doesn't set overly high requiring added elevation on the rear staff and it is also canted 2* to give a very 'rounded view' of the aperture when shooting long range. It also works well at the shorter ranges even though canted! The level bubble is inside the tube housing doing away with reflected sunlight! A top-notch/quality product!!

http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPages/DTProduct.htm

Hubertus
12-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Thank you!

The Distant Thunder looks good, too.
Unfortunately it has no windage adjustment.

My type of shooting is most of the time range, if possible, hunting on a nice day and if I can make it someday to a competition maybe the Quigley meeting in Denmark.
As you probably know there are only very view ranges in Europe going up to 1000 yards.
My current shooting is not up to speed for that either.

Hubertus

RMulhern
12-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Hubertus

Me thinks the Hoke rear tang has up to 42 moa adjustment so if you need more than that....you may as well whizz on the fire and call the dogs!!:-?:cry:

Hubertus
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
:-)

Thanks for your insights.
I'll have a look and hopefully post a picture with my solution.

Happy New Year,
Hubertus