PDA

View Full Version : Lyman four cavity question

inthebeech
12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I just picked up my first four cavity mould and it happened to be absent the screws. When I took a look at the holes I noticed that they do not have a counterbore for the screw heads to recess down in to, unlike all of my two cavity moulds which do.
So I guess the screw head needs no recess and just bottoms out when you run out of threads or something? I also did not yet check the threads but can spin down the two cav screw heads until they are under the hole diameter size in the four cavity mould and use them that way?
Ed

Ford SD
12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Some of my moulds have pins and allen head set screws to keep the pins in the bottom

williamwaco
12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Those are machine screws. You can get them at any hardware store.
Mine lyman 4 cavity screws are 12x24 and about an inch and an eighth long.
Mine are headless. The entire screw screws into the mold block but I have also seen molds with screws with heads on them.

Take you mold with you to check the thread.

Buy one a little too long and cut it off to fit.

Hardcast416taylor
12-28-2011, 06:55 PM
A friend of mine that bought several 4 holer Lyman molds at an estate auction that were minus the screws like yours did the following. He found the correct welding stick rods and cut off pieces a tad over 1" long. He then got some 3/16" set screws for the top threaded area and these are still working several years later.Robert

MikeS
12-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Rather than trying to make the screws, you can buy them from Lyman. They offer a mould rebuild kit that costs around $10-$12 and includes ALL the screws needed for the mould, as well as a new sprue plate. The rebuild kits are available from Midway, as well as others. If you want to buy just the screws, you can probably buy them direct from Lyman. The screws that hold the mould to the handles are in fact headless, but they're not threaded all the way either, so they are a 'special' screw. The only time making the screws makes sense is when they're no longer available, such as H&G moulds, or any of the other fine moulds that aren't made anymore.