PDA

View Full Version : Minor aggravation with Lee Classic Turret

txbirdman
12-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I was setting up all my dies in 4 hole turrets for my new Lee press and discovered that some of my shell holders won't work with this press. Upon examination it appears that shell holders of 1980's vintage will not fit the ram. Now I need to buy a #1; #4; and #5 shell holder.

flashhole
12-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I had that problem with a Hornady shell holder but all the others I have work on the press.

txbirdman
12-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I have 2 Lee shell holders and 1 RCBS that won't work. Lee is trying to resolve my issue.

BDJ
12-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Out of seventeen shell holders that I have, nine will not work in my LCT's ram.

Every one of the shell holders will fit in my old 1969 RCBS Jr 2.:rolleyes:

jimkim
12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Out of seventeen shell holders that I have, nine will not work in my LCT's ram.

Every one of the shell holders will fit in my old 1969 RCBS Jr 2.:rolleyes:

My RCBS RS(JR) likes to keep some of mine. They go in fine, but I have to pry them back out with a screw driver. I haven't had any trouble with my LCT, but I haven't tried all of them in my LCC yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Casting_40S&W
12-28-2011, 10:57 PM
What is Lee going to do for you?

williamwaco
12-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I was setting up all my dies in 4 hole turrets for my new Lee press and discovered that some of my shell holders won't work with this press. Upon examination it appears that shell holders of 1980's vintage will not fit the ram. Now I need to buy a #1; #4; and #5 shell holder.

You can buy the whole lee shell holder set for little more than those three will cost you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786187/lee-universal-shellholders-package-of-11

txbirdman
12-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Lee is sending me a new "shell holder insert" in the mail. They think my press has a minimum spec insert and that some of my shell holders are also minimum spec while some are not. We'll see if this fixes things. If it doesn't I'll probably send the "insert" back to Lee and let them check things out.

txbirdman
12-28-2011, 11:46 PM
"You can buy the whole lee shell holder set for little more than those three will cost you."

Yeah, but who's to say they would all work. Lee says there should be no difference no matter how old the shell holders are.

BDJ
12-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Five shell holder out of Lee's eleven (green plastic box) pack. Will not fit into the LCT's ram.
My one and only 25-20 lyman shell holder,will not fit, this sucks.

JimKim --- I have had the RCBS Jr2 for a long time, bought it new in July or Augest of 69. Just before the wife and I went out to New York to check out this open air music festival. a.k.a. Woodstock.

I rebuilt the Jr2 back in the early 90's ---- New ram, linkage, small primer feeder and primer seater arm. RCBS would take no money for the parts.
Give RCBS a call at 1-800-533-5000 and see if they still have parts for the ol' press. Free call and maybe free parts.

30yrcaster
12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Just started to use my LCT and the only shell holder I've tried was a #3 (45acp) RCBS from the late 70's. It has a problem coming out. Sometimes It's jamed in and I needed to tap it out with a brass punch. Other times it goes in and out with no problem. Didn't think it was a year problem. I also have the complete Lee set and many Reddings. I'll have to try them to see.

It will be interesting to hear from txbirdman when e gets the new part from Lee.

williamwaco
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Five shell holder out of Lee's eleven (green plastic box) pack. Will not fit into the LCT's ram.
My one and only 25-20 lyman shell holder,will not fit, this sucks.

That is really bad luck. I have four presses, two RCBS, one Hornady LNL, and one Lyman Crusher II

All the Lee shell holders in my "kit" work equally well in any of the presses.

I wonder if they changed their specs?

Happy New Year.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-30-2011, 01:19 AM
The shell holder on both my Classic Cast and Classic Turret were both tight, but not too tight to take the shell holders I had. Sounds like you guys got some that were right at minimum specification. You could probably take a 6" fine file and judiciously take off a little metal at a time on the shell holder insert and get the shell holders to fit.

flashhole
12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Fine emory paper on a flat surface works better but is the same idea.

txbirdman
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
The shell holder on both my Classic Cast and Classic Turret were both tight, but not too tight to take the shell holders I had. Sounds like you guys got some that were right at minimum specification. You could probably take a 6" fine file and judiciously take off a little metal at a time on the shell holder insert and get the shell holders to fit.

That's exactly what I did and now all my shell holders fit although the #4 for my .223 dies is pretty tight. Thanks for the advice Dave and others.

30yrcaster
12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Checked my Lee shell holder set and none of them will fit at all. You'd think their own shell holders would fit if none of the other brands would. Think they did a real boo-boo here.

Think the title of this post should be Major Aggravation instead of Minor.

txbirdman
12-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Checked my Lee shell holder set and none of them will fit at all. You'd think their own shell holders would fit if none of the other brands would. Think they did a real boo-boo here.

Think the title of this post should be Major Aggravation instead of Minor.

If ALL of mine had not fit it would have been titled "Major Aggravation".

Call Andy at Lee. They need to fix this.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a machining issue. Maybe a tool bit wearing out, a setting wrong in the CNC program. Something like that.

BDJ
12-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Wow -- None of them in the green box work, not good at all.

Got to agree with Dave, CNC, tool misalignment or maybe a worn tool head.

Also agree with Dave and Flashhole it looks like emery paper or a file would be the fix.

Well, bought a RCBS shell holder for my 25-20, works great in the LCT ram.

I'm pretty much set with the LCT, only load 25-20,.223, 22-250, 243, .357 and .45 on this press and I have shellholders that work. :-) Everything else will be loaded on one of the single stage presses.

I'm still calling Lee Precision Monday morning.
This will be the second time I have called them about this issue.

Good Luck 30yrCaster, hope everything works out for you.
TxBirdman -- Let us know what Lee dose to resolve the issue.

Happy New Year :-)

gefiltephish
12-31-2011, 08:51 AM
...Got to agree with Dave, CNC, tool misalignment or maybe a worn tool head...

That's what QC is for, to ensure out of spec parts don't go out the door in the first place.

kbstenberg
12-31-2011, 09:12 AM
If I can ask. How are they not fitting? I read the posts an didn't see where the problem was.
Kevin

zuke
12-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I have an older friend that had a brand new #5 LEE shellholder that wouldn't fit his rock chucker.
I swapped him my old one for his brand new one and it just poped right in there.
I tried the new #5 in my LEE turret ram and it was a tight fit but it did fit.

txbirdman
12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Well Lee came through with another shell holder insert and it works perfectly even with my most troublesome shell holders. Whereas before the shell holder would not begin to enter the insert they all snap right in the replacement part. If you're having trouble like I did just give them a call or send an email. They responded promptly at no charge so I'm satisfied with their service.

greyling22
01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I had the same issue as the op with my turret press classic. I got it early December from factory sales and opened it on xmas. I called lee and spoke to the nice gal at the front desk, who didn't seem to know anything about the issue and kicked me back to the service buys. Service told me that they had a few of those get out with undersized slots for shell holders and was going to drop a new shell holder insert to me in the mail.