PDA

View Full Version : Cross referrence question

contender1
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
In the excellent book, "From Ingot to Target, A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners," by Glen Fryxell & Robert Applegate they mention a grease for mixing their lube. It is "Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Moly-Graph Multi-purpose."
Well, I've looked in a few auto parts houses, and no one seems to know of it.
Is there a brand name or something I can look for to get this grease? I want to try it. Or is there another brand etc that is like this formula? I see stuff from Valvoline, Mobile, store brands etc. Just not this stuff. I found a moly based grease, but it wasn't high pressure, and didn't have graphite. Any & all help would be appreciated.

cbrick
12-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I did a Google and got this.

Sta-Lube Moly Graphite High Pressure (http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-Moly-Graph-Pressure-Multi-Purpose-Cartridge/dp/B004L41SRK)

Rick

mdi
12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
One of my ideas on lube making is to make small lots and test them, so if the lube fails, I wouldn't be out much in materials or time. I'd try the grease you found, the moly based, and try it out. Make a small batch, lube up some bullets and try it. Part of the fun of bullet casting...

Jim
12-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I use the Sta-Lube Moly-Graph grease and bee's wax formula and it works really well for me on large groove boolits. However, I ONLY use it on large groove boolits.

contender1
12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks cbrick. At least I now know it what it looks like. I'll keep looking at other places. That link on amazon shows that the grease costs less than the shipping.

kenjuudo
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
The local NAPA stores carry it here.

jim

Dark Helmet
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
NAPA or WALMART

bruce381
12-29-2011, 02:09 AM
that is a lithium complex grease with 3% moly. As far as interchangable other than perhaps base oil viscosity used in the grease about ANY lithium/moly grease should work the same.

Glen
12-29-2011, 03:40 PM
There are other moly greases on the market. For example, I have some from Valvoline that seems to work about the same. I don't think the graphite is important. You want a lithium-based grease that has a few percent molybdenum disulphide in it. I like the Sta Lube version because it works so well, because I can find it everywhere around here, and because I found a clearance sale a couple of years ago and am now set for life as far as lube goes.