PDA

View Full Version : Browning BL-22

mellonhead
12-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I find myself without a 22 rifle again!! Six kids will do that to you. I have been looking at one of the Browning BL-22 and was wondering if any f you guys have any experience with them? Good? Bad?

Toby

softpoint
12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I had one years ago. It was a good little rifle, lightweight, accurate enough, although not a real tackdriver, and I think that was mainly because it had a fairly heavy trigger. I never tried to "tune" the trigger on that one, so I don't know how much it could have been improved. Traded it away for something else I thought I "had" to have. :castmine:

mellonhead
12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I am kinda partial to 22 lever guns. I have never had the Browning though. I'm not looking for a match rifle just a good smallgame, plinking gun. My 12 year old son just claimed my Marlin so its time for another one.

Toby

Tom-ADC
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Take a look at the Henry's I love mine and for the price of the Browning you could get two, the Marlins maybe a little better but for just fun and good shootin can't beat the Henry.

fishnbob
12-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I bought mine from the Western Auto store in 1972 for $71.51. I shot it a lot when I first bought it, then put it away 'cause it was so pretty. I haven't shot it in years but I thank you for reminding me that I have it and I think I will shoot her again. It was very accurate but I suppose that my eyes have changed that. Buy it, you will love it!

Mk42gunner
12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I had a grade II years ago, it was good enough to headshoot squirrels with. I liked the little gun, although the glossy stock was a bit glaring.

Robert

Stick_man
12-28-2011, 06:37 PM
I have one and I also have a 10/22. I prefer shooting the Browning. It is a great little gun and I have never had an issue with it that a quick cleaning wouldn't fix.

IF I had to get rid of one of my .22's, the Browning would be the one I keep.

wv109323
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I have a Gr.II that I bought new in about 1980. I have shot thousands of rounds through it without a problem. I put a rear peep on mine and used it in Cowboy Rifle Silhoutte for several years. It was accurate, smooth with a short stroke of the lever. The main concern with the rifle is it's small size and lightness. That can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on useage. To carry around for a quick handling rifle it is ideal. For a target rifle it is a disadvantage. Another thing if you scope the rifle it seems you have a big scope on a small rifle. Again nothing wrong about that. I like mine because of its small size now that the grandkids are around and can shot it.
Another rifle you may want to look at if the Browning is too small is the Marlin 39. I also have that rifle and it's dimension fit me better but The Marlin is a lot heavier to carry. Either is a good choice. Never owned a Henry but they were popular in the Cowboy Silhoutte and people spoke of their accuracy.

Haggway
12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
My first gun was a Grade II, browing. I put unkown number of rounds down range. Fast accurate and fun to shoot. I still have it.

Lawyerman
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I've owned one since 1986 or so. It has been an excellent little rifle in every way, accurate, good trigger, light weight, reliable. Nothing to complain about. Mine has a Burris "mini" 4x on it, perfect for the rifles' size and weight...... You very rarely see them for sale in my experience, reason for that I would guess.

Ragnarok
12-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I have my father's BL-22 rifle. It's a Japanese made version.

Some aspects of it I like..other points I dislike.

Reliable and accurate are it's main points I like.

Dislikes include skimpy scope mount grooves(hard to keep a mount mounted)...triggerpull is a tough pull....folding rear sight is folded at the wrong times....general ergonomics, the stock comb is about too high for iron sights.

Part of my lack of love for the Browning is the fact that I also own a Henry H001..and a Winchester 94/22M...these two rifles fit me better...work just as good as the Browning..and have enough groove on the receiver to hold a scope in place.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
i looked at the BL too and the Henry and the( mossberg that looks like ****)
but then i found a 1970 marlin 39 its on the way i do like the BL22 and the Henry
the Henry is next on my list

kopperl
12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Gave my son one for his 6th birthday(he is now 43). Used it until he claimed it. Bought my self a GradeII.Out of about 9 lever 22's we have it is by far my favorite.

Uncle R.
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
I had a BL-22 that I bought new way back in the 70s.
It was fast and slick and I liked it - but - the accuracy was disappointing.
I was a hunter at heart then and now and my standard for .22 rifles was a squirrel's head. A good .22 should keep 'em all on a squirrel's head out to 50 yards. I thought that was a reasonable requirement then and by golly I still do. A .22 rifle that's only reliable on squirrels out to 40 or even 35 yards has no advantage over a 12 gauge shotgun.
<
Anyway - I tried every kind of ammo I could find and a couple of different scopes and my beautiful little Browning wouldn't make the grade. And worse still - my brother had a cheap Glenfield semi auto that would make ragged holes at 50 yards although it cost not half of what my Browning did. You can imagine that I took some ribbing over that.
<
Eventually I found an old 511 Remington bolt rifle that shot very well and served as my squirrel rifle for many years. The BL-22 was consigned to the dark back corner of the safe, and eventually got traded away.
<
I don't know that other specimens wouldn't do better - in my experience most Brownings are very accurate. But only accurate rifles are interesting - and my BL-22 wasn't.
<
Uncle R.

Shiloh
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I have my father's BL-22 rifle. It's a Japanese made version.

Some aspects of it I like..other points I dislike.

Reliable and accurate are it's main points I like.

Dislikes include skimpy scope mount grooves(hard to keep a mount mounted)...triggerpull is a tough pull....folding rear sight is folded at the wrong times....general ergonomics, the stock comb is about too high for iron sights.

Part of my lack of love for the Browning is the fact that I also own a Henry H001..and a Winchester 94/22M...these two rifles fit me better...work just as good as the Browning..and have enough groove on the receiver to hold a scope in place.

Weren't they all made in Japan??

Shiloh

missionary5155
01-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Good morning
Bought a jap about 5 years ago as my son liked my ruger 10-22. Glad he took the 10.22. The browning is by far more accurate & much more handy to carry about all day.
Mine has a somewhat tight chamber & does not like cheap ammo. But one little step up into the better ammo and it realy shoots those well. Golf balls at 25 yards are easy targets with me sitting on the dirt or leaning on a post.
The Browning has a very short stroke lever which is nice for laying in the grass on a warm day to pop gophers. Reliable, ejects, feeds without any problems (minus the wildcat ammo) so I am happy with mine. Paid $235 for it used and happy I did. Another lever rifle I wish I had down here with me.
Mike in Peru

izzyjoe
01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
i seen a bl-22 sat. at a pawnshop, they wanted $450 for it. for that price i think i'd rather have the henry, and have alot left over to buy ammo. i'm in the market for a lever 22 myself, i'd like to have a marlin 39, but the price on them is just crazy! i've seen a new taurus lever 22, it look's pretty cool. it look's like a cross between the model 62 pump, and a 92 lever rifle, and there priced about the same as the henry 22.

Alan in Vermont
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
It's nice to hear that mine isn't the only one with the skimpy sight grooves. I had to file the claws on a set of weaver rings to get them to catch in tiny grooves Browning provided. I say "mine" loosely, I bought it for my wife but after a couple sessions she lost interest in it. I dug it out last summer and mounted a red dot sight on it for coon control in the sweet corn. I zeroed it for 50 yds, taped a 3cell Maglite alongside the tubes and by lick the hot spot of the light was centered around the red spot. I figured it was sure to be a killer, just put the red dot between the glowing amber ones and kiss Rocky Raccoon goodbye. Rocky had other plans though. I was never able to stay awake long enough for him to arrive for dinner. That big light made it wicked muzzle heavy and very hard for me to hold up with my screwed up shoulder but for the short time I could hold it did it ever hang solid! I need one of those litle tactical lights for this year. I'll be planting corn again and I suspect Rocky and offspring will still be in the neighborhood.

Wayne Smith
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
You did ask about the BL-22 but you generally asked about 22's. Look at the Browning T-Bolt, straight pull bolt that locks completely through the action. I have one in .22Mag and wish they would bring it out chambered for the Hornet. I believe it's strong enough.

Anyway, very accurate and a very quick action to boot.

Mike, if you have a tight chamber in yours get one of Paco's .221/.222 sizers and enjoy cheap shooting as well.