PDA

View Full Version : lyman 3200 turbo tumbler

12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
i have a lyman 3200 turbo tumbler (no longer made) that the motor is dying anyone had any luck finding a new motor anywhere? lyman no longer makes this big tumbler and does not offer any parts. any info on sources fora new motor would be greatly apreaicted thanks charlie

williamwaco
12-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Try Grainger.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/motors/ecatalog/N-bii

thebigmac
12-27-2011, 11:24 PM
If Granger can't help you. I have no idea where you are, but there's a place in Southern Pa. that will re- build it for you. I'm using the big Dillon shaker and needed a new motor. ELECTRIC MOTOR REPAIR. Google will get the address for you.
If you need the address/phone # PM me and I'll dig out the invoice. (if I didn't throw it out)... Good luck. thebigmac

12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
hi i found a exact replacment motor in grangers new 2012 cat , it was not in the 2011 cat thanks all charlie

zuke
02-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Talk about waking the dead!
A friend has a 3200 and need's a new motor. When he turn's it on it'll spin a couple time's then just sit there and hum.
Any lead's?

GarySiftar
02-19-2017, 04:05 PM
i have a lyman 3200 turbo tumbler (no longer made) that the motor is dying anyone had any luck finding a new motor anywhere? lyman no longer makes this big tumbler and does not offer any parts. any info on sources for a new motor would be greatly apreaicted thanks Charlie

Charlie and others, I purchased a DAYTON 4M080 C-Frame Motor, Ball, Shaded Pole, 2 In. L motor from rakuten, but they are available elsewhere.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/dayton-4m080-c-frame-motor-ball-shaded-pole-2-in-l/262821871.html

You have to move an "Aluminum bearing support Block" from the old motor and transfer it to the new one. It provides strength for the bearing holder. The screws that hold it have to be turned around. I destroyed the original 8-32 bolts removing the old motor (n I cut them off with a dremel tool cutoff disk and had to purchase eight replacements that are 3.5 inches long. I couldn't find anything over 3.0 inches in town so I purchased the 3.5in from from McMaster-Carr.
The new motor also needs 6 holes enlarged. They were the size for #6 screws not #8. You NEED to use #8 bolts for strength because of the off center weight that causes the vibration. I strongly suggest a drill press to enlarge the holes. I put in a smaller bit (the size of current holes) to align perfectly and tightened the vice, then swapped to the larger bit for the #8 holes. It was very easy to drill out.
I don't expect my new parts to last as long as the original, but if it lasts half as long, I'm happy. It cost me under $70.00 for everything. Also there is a bit of a trick to removing the fan from the old motor. Get some dikes and pry off the metal band (without destroying it) and then you can pull the fan off gently. I broke mine and had to purchase another. I purchased larger 5 in. one from e-bay, (5 inch diameter Plastic Fan Blade/Propeller 1/4 inch bore. CCW Rotation) for $9.00 but you can get the correct one (4 in.) from http://www.acmemiami.com/fanblade.html. Model #2404. however they have a $25.00 minimum and the blade is only $1.00
I really like the Lyman Turbo 3200 because of its size.