PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-200 SWC, 6 cavity

skeet1
12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I just finished casting for the 2nd time with this mould. I like it the first time but like it even more now! What a great way to make a bunch of bullets in a hurry. After looking at the bunch I just cast I found very few culls. The bullet I cast the first time, I found to shoot better and any of my other .45 cast boolits, they not only cast well but they function through my gun perfectly.

Two other things I did during this casting session that I hadn't done before. While sliding the mould on the mould guide under the 4-20 pot the mould would drag heavily. Since I use Bullplate sprue plate lube I decided to try and lube the bottom left and side of the mould. After lubing in this way the mould slides like it's on ball bearings.

I also lubed the sprue cut off cam on the side of the mould this also worked well in reducing friction and will probable save the side of the mould block from galling.

I'm now of the opinion that I wont be buying any more two cavity moulds if there are 6 cavities available.

Ken

garym1a2
12-27-2011, 03:36 PM
mine can empty a pot aweful fast and most are keepers.

Roundnoser
12-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Skeet,

I have 6 cavity molds for 45, 40 S&W and 9mm. A couple of them have cast 40,000 boolits without a hic-up. The main thing with the Lee molds is to take care of them regularly, and use a good sprue lube...which you are already doing.

If you shoot lots of pistol, and want to save money, you'd be hard pressed to do any better than the Lee molds and a 4-20 pot.

Enjoy!