PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving!

ScottJ
12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Mods please forgive if in wrong forum and move accordingly.

So, I've accepted a new job in upstate SC (will be between lakes Hartwell and Keowee so I hope to fish lots more).

It's happening fast. I accepted Friday. Gave notice at current gig today and report to new gig on 1/16.

The logistical plan at the moment is that I'll go up and rent something the week of the 9th. The wife and kids will stay here until the house sells or school year ends (whichever comes first).

I'm trying to balance getting the house in shape to go on the market with casting and loading like mad.

Would love to hear from other upstate SC casters and also from anyone who's done the cast and/or reload thing while in a rental place. The only renting I've ever done was a trailer lot while in college. I owned the trailer so I was fine having a reload bench in there.

Moving all my Pb will be quite a chore. I have 5 buckets needing to be smelted.

Blammer
12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
What county in upstate SC? May be near me.

ScottJ
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
What county in upstate SC? May be near me.

The company is in Oconee. Not sure where we'll end up house wise.

The one we really like is a mere 2.5 miles from the new office but is a short sale so we can't do a contract unless ours sells first. No contingency contract allowed when buying a short.

Crawdaddy
12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
From someone who moved 9 times in 15 years I dont know whether to say congrats or feel bad for you.

I had a boss who once told me "at the very least, moving is inconvenient". I still have boxes that are not unpacked from the first move.

Good luck and enjoy the fishing.

Mumblypeg
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Welcome to South Carolina !

ScottJ
12-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome to South Carolina !

Thanks. You close to the Oconee County area?

ScottJ
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I had a boss who once told me "at the very least, moving is inconvenient". I still have boxes that are not unpacked from the first move.

Your boss had the gift of understatement.

My last move was across town and that was a huge headache.

DLCTEX
12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I always moved every few years before moving here and it kept my junk pared down. Now that I've been in this house for 20 years I need to move just to get rid of some stuff. I feel for you, it's always tough to make such changes.

Mumblypeg
12-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Scott, not realy. Oconee is about 2 to 3 hours away. I'm southeast of Spartanburg, southwest of Charlotte,NC. You'd be closer to Blammer but I think there are one or two members here in the Greenville area, that would be closer.

Hang Fire
12-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Company I retired from transferred me several times to different states and locales. I never minded so much for was a great company who made moving painless as possible. But the wife and kids sure hated it, when got transferred from Alaska, damn near had a famiy insurrection on my hands, same thing when got transferred from Cody, Wyoming.

contender1
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Blammer hails from the Asheville area. I'm a bit closer in that I'm nearer the SC line in a little town called Lake Lure. (I'm 1.2 miles from the lake actually.) I own a gun range & love Rugers. We shoot USPSA at my range. I have done quite a bit of SCUBA diving in Keowee & some in Hartwell. It's about an hour or so from Keowee for to me.
Moving is a bit rough, as I actually move 4 miles from one of my houses to another last year. I still have stuff in my old house. Good luck, and if you wanna come up into the hills a little bit, get in touch with me.

mpmarty
12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Worst move I ever made left a 35 gallon drum full of wheel weights in Reno Nevada.

ScottJ
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Worst move I ever made left a 35 gallon drum full of wheel weights in Reno Nevada.

I have three 5 gallon buckets of WW, and a couple of range scrap.

I would love to get them all into ingots before I move but doubt I'll have the time.