PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman furnace

saguaro
12-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Greetings to everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I have a question right off the bat.

I have an old Lyman mocdel 61 that has seen better days. I need a new temp control and a power cord. If anyone knows where to get these I'd appreciate hearing from you. Also, what is the best way to test to make sure it is electrically safe to use for casting?

Thanks in advance,
Saguaro

mdi
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Get the model number and contact Lyman customer service for replacement parts http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/

Ziptar
12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Sticky here with lots of info: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=114184

Replacement cords can be had at your local hardware store. They are the same as those used on waffle irons, coffee pots, and electric griddles.

Check with a local appliance repair or restaurant equipment shop on the thermostat. It fairly common and used on deep fryers and the like.

The Lyman 61 is an excellent BP pot. I love mine.

saguaro
12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for thew responses. I tried Lyman and they don't deal with anything that old. No more parts for them. I'll try the other suggestions and let you know how it comes out.

BossHoss
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I have a 61 that needed some TLC.

First...the cord.....best to take the old two pin connector out of the equation it just adds resistance (heat in the cord). Wire it directly to the control.

Next....check the connections on the coil....to do this remove the insulation on either side of the control. The connection wires are spot welded to their crimp on connectors. Soldering them ...bad idea...this IS for melting lead...(solder). So, theymust be mechanical connections.

I doubt the control is bad....you will probably find rotten conns on the coil wires...

I made new wire pigatails...crimped using a good crimp tool, then crimped them to the coil ends after cleaning the wire protruding from the bakelite till it was shiny copper again.

The Model 61 is a great pot, holds it's heat very very well....a great pour spout, and mold guide. Don't give up on it.

But, if you do.....pm me...I'll take it.

Remember the old Frigidaire "ice box's"....I have one that is older than me, works better than any of 1000 dollar fridge's I have bought...still use it today.

The old saying applies...They just don't build 'em like that anymore.....planned obsolescence killed quality products a generation ago.

Heck , most of my most reliable stuff was built before I was born....lol.