PDA

View Full Version : Dropout Mold Release for Lube?

franklin!
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
New to this site, so someone may have experience or advice on this.
I cast for 45/70 and 45/90, smokeless loads at the moment, and don't go over 1700 fps. I prefer 1400 to 1600 fps if I can get it.
I read somewhere( I think Rifle or Handloader, not sure) some time ago that Midway Drop Out Mold Release made a good lube, so my bullets (Lyman 457124) drop about a thousandths or two oversize, and I simply spray them with Drop Out, evenly coating entire bullet.
No apparent ill effects so far, but maybe I'm missing something.
If this post belongs elsewhere, please advise.

williamwaco
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Franklin.

There is NOTHING wrong with bullets that are 1 to 2 thousandths oversize. I don't know what is in that mold release. I have tried it on my molds and really do not like it. It is probably not hurting anything to spray it on your bullets but it is a complete waste of time and effort. You should be lubing with a commercial bullet lube. If you have a sizer lubricator - use it. If you do not, tumble your bullets in Lee Liquid Alox. There is another company White Label Lube co. that also makes excellent liquid lubes that can be used to tumble your bullets.

PS That mold release does make a good high temperature lube. I use it to lube the bottom of the sprue plate and the hinge on my bullet molds. Do not spray it into the cavities of your molds.

Jim
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
.....No apparent ill effects so far, .....

Do I understand that to mean you have fired the boolits with this lube and there's no problem? If that is, in fact, the case, I would say 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

franklin!
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Yep. Fired about 50 thus far in 45/90 at 50 yards, searching for a good smokeless cast bullet load before I begin the whole BPCR thing. Perhaps I will discover this isn't a good idea when I triy some other lube, but for the time being, it has done OK.

John Boy
12-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Franklin, I hope you do know that the majorly of mold release agents are black? They are graphite in an alcohol or acetone carrier. The graphite left on the bullets your shooting is the lube.

And BTW, anytime one coats the cavities of a mold with a substance, the bullets will be smaller in diameter instead of larger - in the .00x range

franklin!
12-27-2011, 03:52 PM
It's black, as you pointed out, or at least a real dark gray. Usually takes 2 applications to get boolits uniformly coated. I don't use it on molds, just bullets. I reckon the graphite is doing the job of "lubing" OK thus far. Or so it seems.

mold maker
12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Has anyone sprayed their ladles bottoms, to avoid the lead beard that always drops off at the wrong time????
I use a 4# ladle to pour 3 X 1lb ingots, and the beard drop, either on the fresh pour, or in the next mold. The distance between the pot and mold is also littered with the droppings.

Mooseman
12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I was taught to smoke treat my Boolit Mold with a match or candle to carbon black it before starting to cast and it seemed to help the Boolits drop easier. I wonder if smoke blackening would help your situation, or even a light wipe of anti-seize around the outer edge of the ladle.

fryboy
12-27-2011, 10:40 PM
ok , years ago i too read of it being used for lube so i tried it ....i wish it came out of my bore as easily as it goes on the projectiles ( i state projectiles because i tried it both on cast and j-words ... perhaps it was the latter that really ironed it into my bore ) i also tried it in my molds ( i learned some lessons the hardway ( and i can admit it , i mean after all this was back in the early 90's ) i found that a good carb cleaner and ALOT of scrubbing will get it off of molds ( and man were those vent lines fun ) sadly it took alot more than carb cleaner and elbow grease to get out of my bore , it will work within reason ( normal oversized castings and at least low to medium velocities ) is it or rather was it worth it ? for me it wasnt or i'd still be using it ( i bought two cans and still have a whole one left ...wonder if it still works ? )

as for ladles and ingot molds ... i tried that as well , it didnt keep my ingot molds from rusting and i cant help but wonder in hindsight if it's kind of like moly ( hygroscopic ) i never re-applied it to either of those instruments again either [shrugz]

all the above is my observations , ye olde comment YMMV applies ( your mileage may vary )

franklin!
12-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Fryboy- Thanks for the heads up on being hard to remove from the bore. That will be a factor, but for the time being, about another 50 rounds (total 100 or so since I started working with this caliber) did the mold release prevent leading to the extent that accuracy suffered?
Giving up on mold release, what lube do you use now?
hunhog

williamwaco
12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Has anyone sprayed their ladles bottoms, to avoid the lead beard that always drops off at the wrong time????
I use a 4# ladle to pour 3 X 1lb ingots, and the beard drop, either on the fresh pour, or in the next mold. The distance between the pot and mold is also littered with the droppings.

I spray the ladle and the ingot mold. The ingots fall out easier and the cast iron rusts less.

It is also a good high temprature lubricant.
I use it on the mold joints, pins, sprue plate, etc. ( But NOT in the cavities. )

It seems to me that it would be a VERY EXPENSIVE bullet lube. I don't know how many bullets a can will lubricate but one 4 oz bottle of Lee or White liquid lubes will lubricate at least 4 or 5000 bullets for less than 5 bux.