PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

contender1
12-27-2011, 12:26 AM
I see several group buys with different offerings. I'm new to buying custom molds. So my simple (and I'm sure kinda stupid to some folks,) is this; "What does RG stand for when ordering molds?"

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-27-2011, 12:44 AM
RG stands for Rude Goldberg. NOE (Night Owl Enterprises) make a mold with the hollow points attached to it. They come in 2 and 4 cavity configurations. The pins can be swapped out for flat point pins if you don't want a hollow point.

A Rude Goldberg type device is comprised of complex gadgets that perfom a simple task in indirect, convoluted ways (from Wikipedia :) ) If I know any better Al from NOE gave it this name as a joke.

The mold performs extremely well, as it has a uncanny ability to keep the HP pins hot and inside the mold, unlike older-style hollow point molds where the pin has to be removed completely from the mold.

It is kind of hard to explain, so here is a picture:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=803654&postcount=1

This was a mold I sold to GP100Man, and have kicked myself ever since LOL!

It is an RG2 (2 for 2 cavity) I had one gas check cavity and One plain base cavity.

Here is how it works. Close the mold halves. Pour lead in mold (like any other mold). Cut sprue. Tip mold upside down and open mold halves. Lightly tap hinges on mold handles so pins slide out of the cavity on the "tracks" they are on and bullets fall off. Repeat process.

These also come in 4 cavity molds.

To sum it up, they are the nicest molds I have ever cast with. Buy one, you won't be disappointed!!

contender1
12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks! That's the exact type of answer I was looking for. Now I understand why they cost a little more, and are "desirable" if someone wants a HP design! I do appreciate your reply!