PDA

View Full Version : eBay changed, for the better

hunterldh
12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I read on another forum that eBay relaxed their restrictions on gun parts a couple weeks ago. Barrels, bolts, magazines and the like are starting to show up for auction again. Now if they would roll their fee structure back a few years maybe some of the hate would temper back to just a healthy dislike. I do not know the truth to this. I am simply the messenger. Hunter

Bulltipper
12-26-2011, 07:26 PM
GreeeeeedBay!

Trey45
12-26-2011, 07:34 PM
While it's probably a good thing that ebay has relaxed a little bit, I doubt it has anything to do with respect of Americas 2nd Amendment and has everything to do with their bottom line. ebay simply cannot afford to be left behind. I predict paypal will follow suit and begin allowing gun sale charges if things keep going the way they are.

Casting Timmy
12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
They probably are allowing it since they want to increase the amount of money they make. It'll be interesting to see if it's true and how long it takes for ebay to become popular for it again.

Tazman1602
12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
HMMMM, gotta go check on that one.......I'd hope they'd relax rules on EVERYTHING. I used to buy antique .22's on ebay but they've come down pretty hard on that, haven't bought a box in five years or more.

We did have a code among collectors when selling on ebay and got away with it for a bit. We would list the antique .22's and "This auction is for the BOX ONLY! All shells have been removed and the box is *just the way collectors like them*."

Once you found a seller who was reputable --- there were lots a few years back, and you caught that phrase in the auction, you always knew you were going to get an excellent, full of correct ammo .22 box.

Art

Love Life
12-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I remember brass going super cheap the last few hours before e-bay shut down component sales. Funny thing is not many people really listed much brass on gbroker at that time. Gunbroker was known as that "Other auction site".

fatnhappy
12-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Didn't Ben Cannon start a new auction site to compete with Ebay? How's that going?

gandydancer
12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
ebay is not an american owned company is it??

cdet69
12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I think it is owned by GE Capitol.

Olevern
12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Just went over and checked....brass and bullets still banned....barrels now o.k., saw a number of Contender barrels listed, among the to be expected 10-22 take offs.

Used to buy a lot of brass and bullets over there, not much reason to return as Gun Broker is doing a good job.

I am still divorced from ebay, I didn't leave them, they left me.

fatelk
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I do think Gunbroker is much better now than they used to be for parts and components; I'm sure that's a direct result of ebay's idiocy.

I just wish Gunbroker had a little different structure. The way they have it now maybe one item is sold for every thirty or forty listed.

pmeisel
12-27-2011, 05:20 PM
fat, I have read on other boards that Ben's company ran into all kinds of trouble, people were having trouble getting their money. I haven't frequented the boards that had the most on them in quite awhile but if you go a googling I'll bet you find it....

Roundnoser
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Here is the exact verbiage from E-bay:

"The following gun parts and accessories are allowed on the eBay US site only. The seller must be in the US and offer domestic shipping only:

En bloc clips
Barrels
Bolts
Choke tubes
Cylinders
Firing pins
Hammers
Magazines with a capacity to accept 10 rounds or less (high-capacity magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds are not allowed)
Slides
Trigger assemblies"

For what its worth, I still rather do business with the members of this site...Everyone gets a good deal, and we avoid the excessive fees! I want to support this site, not Ebay if I can help it.

3006guns
12-27-2011, 06:04 PM
One thing I noticed about Ebay when they did allow brass and gun parts...the winning bids seemed more reasonable, that is, you got a bit of a bargain. For whatever reason the other auction sites seemed to command higher prices. Maybe it's just me?

I suspect that Ebay finally realized they made one He!! of a mistake when they infuriated a lot of their market. I remember the anger quite well. They simply didn't understand that the so called "gun culture" is a real and massive part of this country.

I'll start looking for a 1911 barrel today.

Edit: Yep, it's true! I found rifle bolt sleeves, trigger guards, pistol barrels, etc.......glad they learned their lesson.

Crawdaddy
12-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Wont be of much use to me until they do brass and bullets. Like another said, I would rather do business here.

bruce drake
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
well, I put my first bid on Ebay since they got stupid on gun parts. But I bid on a mold instead of a part.

Bruce

fatnhappy
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
fat, I have read on other boards that Ben's company ran into all kinds of trouble, people were having trouble getting their money. I haven't frequented the boards that had the most on them in quite awhile but if you go a googling I'll bet you find it....

sarcasm sir. it was sarcasm.

Roundnoser
12-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't understand Ebay's prohibition on things like brass or projectiles. Do they think some gang thug in L.A. is going to buy components, reload them and use them in drive-by shootings?

You can buy knives on E-bay....Knives can be used as weapons to hurt or kill people...So why aren't they banned also?

I know its all politics, but it is also hypocritical....Now that Ebay need more money, they are relaxing their listed of prohibited gun items. So, what has changed? Its obvious their decisions are not ETHICAL ones....Its all about personal politics, and now (appearently) greed.

pmeisel
12-28-2011, 11:57 AM
OK fat.... I haven't been around for awhile. Haven't heard anything about Ben's exploits in some time.

colt 357
12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I buy molds and die off of ebay. Can't get them here in town or at a gunshow for that cheap. I work with one guy and he cuts me a great deal on shipping to. Last thing I order from him was .45acp bullet mold, bullet resizing die, case trimmer 3 die reload and a couple of same items for less then a $100.00. Here in town it would have been over 200

357maximum
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I had over 240 + positive feedbacks selling/buying gunparts and such on ebay. The day they outlawed gunparts I outlawed them with a real short poinient note closing my account. I have learned alot about their bussiness practices and their political beliefs since that day. I will not open another account and as far as I am concerned they can still go pound sand.

jcwit
12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
And just what does that proof in the grand scheme of things?

No more than me saying I'll never shop at WalMart will hurt their bottom line.

contender1
12-28-2011, 10:55 PM
My nickname for ebay is "sleezbay." I joined many years ago and bought a bunch of stuff, and sold a little. However, as they grew, I saw them get more & more restrictive on gun parts etc. Then, "pay us twice pal" was put in as "required." With all their fees, folks got to where the item would be listed at a low price, (final sale fees lower) and the shipping would be higher. Well, they figured out how to dip into our pockets on that as well. The more they dug into MY money, the more I decided I didn't need them.

Sleezbay is GREEDY!!!!!!!!

Sleezbay is anti-gun!!!!!!!!!!

They own "pay us more pal."

So, yes, a lot of folks got tired of dealing with them and quit using them.

One person quitting won't even make them blink. A hundred folks quitting won't rate anything. A thousand folks quitting MIGHT get a bean counter to have a passing thought. A hundred thousand folks quitting does get their bean counters to notice. A million folks quitting makes them re-think some of their marketing. So, in the grand scheme of things, YES, quitting the use of such a crappy company IS a way to make a difference.

Just like voting. It does make a difference.

357maximum
12-29-2011, 12:19 AM
And just what does that proof in the grand scheme of things?

No more than me saying I'll never shop at WalMart will hurt their bottom line.

If you read contender1's post and then add....IT SIMPLY MAKES ME FEEL BETTER you might have a notion of what it proves. ....and for the record I only shop at GreatWalofChinaMart when I absolutely have to. If we stop buying stuff from those greedy ******* that mean us harm eventually good things will take their place.........Gotta Have faith;) You can vote with a pen or your wallet and apathy will get us nowhere. [smilie=b:

jcwit
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
If you read contender1's post and then add....IT SIMPLY MAKES ME FEEL BETTER you might have a notion of what it proves. ....and for the record I only shop at GreatWalofChinaMart when I absolutely have to. If we stop buying stuff from those greedy ******* that mean us harm eventually good things will take their place.........Gotta Have faith You can vote with a pen or your wallet and apathy will get us nowhere.

Fact is, I agree with you, but at the same time I've grown old and sorry to say I gotten tired of fighting. I continue to vote, but again it seems to do no good, the libs still control. I've fought W/M for years but its gotten me nowhere.

As far as E-Bay and PayPal goes all of my experiences have been positive with them, I've gotten excellent deals, better that anywhere else and P/P is free for my uses.

As far as the gun issue with E-Bay the same holds tru with AARP, Progressive Insurance, Target Stores and the list goes on and on. Then also we have our own folks that refuse to join the NRA for such petty reasons its unblieviable.

So I guess one can call it apathy, which I guess it is, or just getting a migrain from beating my head against the wall, with no positive results. What can I say.

Best
jcwit

3006guns
12-29-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm in the same boat as one of the previous posters.....small town, not much available locally so Ebay provides a convenient source for things I need. When they "outlawed" brass that was the last straw though. As mentioned, do they really think some of these street punks are buying Dillons? No, just trying to be PC in the world's eyes, that's all.

I now find my brass here and the money goes to a fellow caster/reloader....who isn't whacked with their phoney Paypal fees.

Mk42gunner
12-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Ebay used to be a place that bargains were common, but for about a year before they banned the good stuff bargains were getting harder to find.

I bought a few rifle stocks from there, One turned out very good, one was a not yey dry enough piece of curly maple that strtred warping about the time I had the forearm worked down to where I wanted it. It would have been a gorgeous stock if it had been dried for another couple of years. That really wasn't ebay's fault, I eventually used the stock for another rifle, the forearm just looks strange.

I quit using them when they started requiring you to use paypal. The last thing I bought on ebay was an engine for my pickup, paypal required of course. When I got directions to go pick it up, I asked the kid that had it if cash was okay, of course he said yes.

Any of the online auction sites rely on honest descriptions by the seller, and let the buyer beware.

Robert

Throckmorton
12-30-2011, 03:36 AM
most everything I need I can find here or another board I frequent,don't need Ebay or their policies.

shotman
12-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Feebay has dropped the deal on wads. I see them and shot from time to time . Big thing is the stores are selling there now . Midway is there, gun parts corp, several pro shops. couple Lee sites
Some hide them well ,till you get the shipment
there used to be about 4 to 5 thousand listings, now its 12 to 13 thousand

nicholst55
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I had over 240 + positive feedbacks selling/buying gunparts and such on ebay. The day they outlawed gunparts I outlawed them with a real short poinient note closing my account. I have learned alot about their bussiness practices and their political beliefs since that day. I will not open another account and as far as I am concerned they can still go pound sand.

Hear, hear! Well said, sir! Bugger fleabay. I only wish that more firearms owners felt the same way - all the rat bastages want is our money.

jcwit
12-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for serving nicholst55.

all the rat bastages want is our money.

Well that is a true statement and the same holds true for everyone, it is afterall what makes the world go around. Those that do not do it for the money or for profit will not be around long.

357maximum
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
You have a point but the ones that turn around and invest their profits into things that go against my beliefs that I CHOOSE not to deal with. It is my right.... just as others have the right to justify their allegiances for the sake of convenience.

evan price
12-31-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't care what eBay says about having to use Paypal. I take CASH when I sell cars and large parts, cash on pickup. Deposit on Paypal, but cash on pickup. Screw eBay & PayPal...I USE them not the other way around.