PDA

View Full Version : flux candles??

roarindan
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Wife gave me a bag of Xmas candles that were in the attic over the garage and kinda,sorta melted. are these ok for flux in ww smelting??

sabot_round
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I have used them over the years with no issues. I think they are a good source of flux.

williamwaco
12-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Wife gave me a bag of Xmas candles that were in the attic over the garage and kinda,sorta melted. are these ok for flux in ww smelting??

I have used scrap candles exclusively for many years. They are excellent. Although the nod seems to be going to sawdust as a better agent.

mold maker
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Check with the folks that put out the luminares (white bag w/candle) for Christmas. Many, just throw them away.

bobthenailer
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
My wife is a Yankee Candel junkie ! i ony use the candles for fluxing when smelting outside, it creates alot of smoke! so have a fan close by ! inside where i do my casting i use saw dust or Pat Marlin's flux

41 mag fan
12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
I use candles exclusively. I tried the charcoal and welding flux, but like candle wax better. A little goes a long way.
I use those big long pointed candles, I bought several for $1 each.

mold maker
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I once bought 36# of candles that had been wet. The wick wouldn't burn, but made great flux. That was many years ago, and the wicks still wont keep burning.

roarindan
12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks folks!!

cbrick
12-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Candle wax will reduce tin back into the melt but will not, can not remove impurities. If all you want to do is reduce oxidized tin wax is fine. If you wish to clean the melt try swadust, it will do both, reduce tin and remove imputiries.

Read chapter 4 on fluxing, the chemistry of it is explained in easy to understand english.

From Ingot To Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick