PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from the hexperts

Beekeeper
12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I have 2 Isralli Mausers (M98) in .308.
One shoots a lot better than I can, the other would try the patience of a saint.
It doesn't like anything I have fed it so far.

stats
.301 land
.309 groove
Fired brass read .318 and a .314 boolit for the mosin Nagant slips and falls into the brass.
I am using IMR 3031 powder , 27.5 grains and a 1/4 oz tuft of dacron.

Do you think it would be safe to try and shoot the .314 boolits and see if this creature will digest them?
Would like very much to get this one to shoot as good as the other.

beekeeper

Reload3006
12-26-2011, 05:48 PM
that will be an awfully big boolit yep your bore will swage them down but at the cost of a lot of pressure. Personally I would not do it but its your gun and life. At minimum sneak up on it. reduce way way down.

MtGun44
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Pressure will be fine. Give it a try. Filling the throat is reported to be the most important
thing with rifle boolits, so maybe this one has a large, worn throat and needs a fatter
boolit to stay straight during "launch". I think the first issue will be to make up a dummy
round and see that it will chamber and not jam in the throat. Another possibility is seeing
how far out you can seat the original boolit and still chamber smoothly, to get closer
to the rifling. But I tend to think that fatter will work better by filling the throat better.

If the fired case will release it properly, and you show that it can by dropping the .314
boolit you intend to use into the fired neck (which actually springs back a bit smaller than
it is when under pressure) you will be OK. The pressure difference in the barrel between
a .308 groove and a .311 boolit (which is what I normally use) and a .309 groove and
.314 boolit will be very small.

Another thought is to drop back to 10 gr of Unique. This seems to bump up the boolit
and gets good results an amazingly high percentage of the time. This is super mild and
folks report going up to th 13 gr or more range with no issues, and no filler or wad is
needed.

Bill

geargnasher
12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
+1 Bill, just what I was going to say. The close fit of a loaded cartridge in the chamber neck is one of the key ingredients to accuracy, and may be where you're losing it. Back off and work up the load with larger boolits like you would when making any other change, no big deal on the oversize.

Gear

Char-Gar
12-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I agree.. .314 won't cause you any problems and might solve your problem. Try it and find out.

swheeler
12-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I have 2 Isralli Mausers (M98) in .308.
One shoots a lot better than I can, the other would try the patience of a saint.
It doesn't like anything I have fed it so far.

stats
.301 land
.309 groove
Fired brass read .318 and a .314 boolit for the mosin Nagant slips and falls into the brass.
I am using IMR 3031 powder , 27.5 grains and a 1/4 oz tuft of dacron.
Do you think it would be safe to try and shoot the .314 boolits and see if this creature will digest them?
Would like very much to get this one to shoot as good as the other.

beekeeper

I agree with the above posts, the .314 sized bullet will not cause any problems and in all likelyhood will shoot better than the same sized smaller. What I don't agree with is 109 grains of dacron, wow how do you get that much in the case.:coffee:

Beekeeper
12-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry Swheeler,
Old age I guess
!/4 grain tuft of dacron!!
Ain't much on one of these keyboards anyway.
This 2 finger hunt and peck is still too fast for my brain sometimes.

beekeeper

swheeler
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Figured that, just pullin' your leg.:)