PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Number 35 sight for Mausers

ohland
12-26-2011, 11:19 AM
http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/310/Lyman_35/Lyman_No35_Sight.html

I found a ebuy auction in Poland with these pictures. My apologies to the seller, but I do not speak or read Polish.

Added pics of small aperture on Lyman Number 48 (thanks, Kraschenbirn!) Ordered a copy of the Lyman 1906 catalog for a period illustration.

[smilie=6:

Kraschenbirn
12-26-2011, 12:01 PM
The last picture seems to show an insert at the front of the sight aperture, at first I thought it was a crude sight post [smilie=6:

The Lyman 48 on my 1898 Krag "sporter" has that same dual-aperature arrangement. The small-aperature insert hinges forward to unmask a larger aperature for low-light shooting conditions. When I first acquired the rifle, I got in touch with Lyman who replied that my sight (from mfg code #s, and patent dates) was manufactured between 1919 and 1922.

Bill

ohland
12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
The Lyman 48 on my 1898 Krag "sporter" has that same dual-aperature arrangement. The small-aperature insert hinges forward to unmask a larger aperature for low-light shooting conditions. When I first acquired the rifle, I got in touch with Lyman who replied that my sight (from mfg code #s, and patent dates) was manufactured between 1919 and 1922.

Bill

Could you get a _good_ picture of the aperture flipped forward? I'd like to post it.

Kraschenbirn
12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Here ya' go...

Before you posted your pics, I'd only seen one other of these Lyman sights...and it was on another Krag, very similar to mine, which the owner said he believed was one of the guns "sporterized" by the NRA in the 1920s and sold to members for something like $12 each.

Bill

btw...where are in "south central WI" are you located? I grew up in north central IL, right across the line from Monroe and, in my youth, (mis)spent many a Saturday night on north side of the Cheddar Curtain.

Hang Fire
12-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Very interesting sight. shudder to think what the machine work would cost to make one today.