PDA

View Full Version : 1911 barrel recommendations...?

3006guns
12-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I have a nice old Colt 1911 (1918 production) that I'm very fond of. The original barrel has seen its day however, and I'd sure like to replace it with something more serviceable for cast. Match grade accuracy is NOT a requirement.

What options are out there? I've seen the Roto barrels offered by Sarco but they seem to have a questionable reputation for quality, although the price sure is attractive.

gray wolf
12-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I doubt you will find a drop in barrel for that pistol (1918 production)
Aside from what some may say many drop in parts are far from remove and replace.
As for cast friendly ? a barrel is a barrel --1--16 twist for a 45 ACP.
Yes the tooling on a better barrel may give you a better job on the rifling and that could make it shoot cast a little better. But fit is still king for lead bullets.
Better tooling can also make the adaptation to your pistol a little easier.
The barrel hood to breach face, link, link feet, lock up, timing and bushing
+ what I forgot must be fitted correctly. Yes there are some folks that will tell you
" Hey ! I got a barrel from Bla, Bla and it dropped right in and is great.
I would make some phone calls or do a little reading on the subject and make sure I had the proper tools to do the job before I started.
Other option is to have it done. But you sound like Price is important to you.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

dragonrider
12-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Check with Brownells, they have many barrels at many prices. You will find what you want therre.

69daytona
12-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I bought one of the ROTO barrels just the other day, good practice tool to learn fitting on but the quality isnt there, The hood is way to small from side to side the link lugs needed a lot of work, the barrel OD is small so even with a tight fitting bushing on other barrels there is a lot of play. After fixing most of that it and doing the file work to make it fit and lock up tight it isnt to bad if your only shooting less than 15 yards. Groups are 3" plus with my cast loads and with the stock barrel I can keep 1"-1 1/2" at same distance.

lbaize3
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
KART barrels have worked the best for me.

CJR
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
For accuracy, I'd suggest the KART EZ-Fit. For best value for the buck,I'd recommend a Rock Island Armory (RIA) barrel which are well made, Rockwell hardness tested, reasonably priced, and available on line.

Best regards,

CJR

3006guns
12-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll check on the Rock Island barrels first. If I don't like what I see I'll go for the KART.

Char-Gar
12-26-2011, 07:00 PM
If I were going to replace the barrel in a 1918 vintage Colt, I would use a current or recent production Colt barrel. Should drop right in and is cast bullet friendly and will give all the accuracy your pistol has to give.

Lots of there barrels laying about shops, that folks took out of Colts when they installed high dollar hand fit barrels. Check around on several sites such as this or check with Wilson, Clark and some of those folks who put together high dollar pistols. They will have some take off barrels around the shop.

MtGun44
12-27-2011, 01:54 AM
KART are really fine barrels.

Bill

bobthenailer
12-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I installed a military chrome lined barrel on my 1917 colt 1911 with no issues , I also fitted a new match barrel bushing , My orgional barrel was pitted and leaded badly with cast bullets.
The orgional sights are small and you had to really consentrate on the sights but it wiil shoot .
I have 2 barrels of each for the 1911 from Clark , Nowlin & Kart . all are excellent

kennyb
12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
If you want a accurate barrel that doesn't lead up, buy yourself a Kart. My old Rock Island barrel was good for less the 50 rounds of cast bullets before it was time to clean it....now I clean it once, when I get home from shooting.
Happy New Years All,
Kenny

Skinny 1950
01-03-2012, 02:53 AM
I bought a new barrel for my 1911 (made in 1917) because the cases were bulging, not sure of the brand of barrel but it needed to be fitted which I did myself. At some point someone installed target sights on this gun and it had been shot a lot:

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/Skinny1950/DayatrangeFeb20-2011002.jpg

crabo
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Another vote for Kart.