PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle

MaxJon
12-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone got a Lyman GPH Rifle .50cal Percussion?? (1/32T) One of the mates got one, i had a hold of it, but not yet shot it. But i already want one! When shouldered the rifle sits very nicely, with the long barrel it just felt so right! Another bonus is you can fit the peep sights on it for some serious paper punching fun! I cant wait to get one! What bullets/moulds are we shooting in this rifle??
BB03:lovebooli:lovebooli

bigted
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
well mine is a 54 cal and the long inch twist for round balls that if memorie serves is 1 in 66 turns. i shoot home cast balls in her and she always has given me what i ask of it.......havent shot it for a while as i got tore up with shooting real bp in cartridge guns and ive given that all my attention for the last few years but what a peach my gpr is.

i built/assembled it from the kit form and did some interesting stock finish as well as a rope twist vinegar barrel and all steel parts but here she is and your rite...it hangs just like a huntin rifle should and mine also wears a peep on the rear on the tang for my tired ol eyes.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/guns%20and%20ammo/gprfinish1.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/guns%20and%20ammo/gprfinish4.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/guns%20and%20ammo/gprfinish5.jpg

she is a bit different then the ussual gpr in the finish i put on the wood and metal but it sure feels like a rifle and shoots like one too...i load 85 grains 2f goex real black powder behind a .530 inch ball with a .010 inch patch and spark it with a remington number 11 cap on a nipple that i workd some to get good fire thru with the repositioning of the hammer to ensure it hits flat on the nipple.

get one and have a ball...i know the 50cal is most popular rite now but the 54's were and still are a hoot to shoot with what god intended...ball n patch

boommer
12-27-2011, 01:09 AM
I use the Lyman 50 cal. plains 395 gr slug and 90grs of 2F Swiss will get you 1500 fps. The load is very accurate but if you need to clean the barrel every shot to hold tight groups.

The sights on the rifle you will need to file the front sight some to get on at 200 yards then a tang sight after that. OH!! make sure you shoulder that rifle perfect with that load with that sadistic butt stock on it!!! I use a Beartooth slip on pad on mine but you still have to watch it.

Hope this give a little help.

MaxJon
12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I use the Lyman 50 cal. plains 395 gr slug and 90grs of 2F Swiss will get you 1500 fps. The load is very accurate but if you need to clean the barrel every shot to hold tight groups.

The sights on the rifle you will need to file the front sight some to get on at 200 yards then a tang sight after that. OH!! make sure you shoulder that rifle perfect with that load with that sadistic butt stock on it!!! I use a Beartooth slip on pad on mine but you still have to watch it.

Hope this give a little help.

Thanks boommer! I will be fitting a Lyman front target peep sight also, cant be bothered struggling on with the blade sight for pure target work. I will also have time to clean between shots, so hopefully i will get some pretty nice groups. Another thing i like about the .50cal is the availability of sizer dies for my RCBS LAM2. Makes sizing and lubeing of bullets easy, once i have slugged the barrel of course.
BB03

boommer
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
bullbarrel my Lyman mold throws them at .501 that is just about perfect for my bore for a slip fit/
The bullet will bump up to size, under a heavy charge. I would like to try minie balls in that rifle the Lee reals did not impress me at all compared to the Lyman plains mold bullet.
That plains bullet takes 90 grains of charge to get good accuracy out of it' that's why I like to try the minies a little lighter weight maybe a lighter charge less recoil.

Underclocked
12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,4705.html

Best prices I know about. 4.95 shipping.

But probably not to Australia. ;)

linotype
12-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Just a suggestion, I load mine with 50 gr 2F. Pleasure to shot.
Had a old timer tell me that in the old days, muzzle loaders were loaded based grains to calibre.
Saved on powder, but got the job done.

MaxJon
12-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Thanks again mate! I will email that link to my dealer, when im cashed up to get one!
BB03

bigted
12-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Just a suggestion, I load mine with 50 gr 2F. Pleasure to shot.
Had a old timer tell me that in the old days, muzzle loaders were loaded based grains to calibre.
Saved on powder, but got the job done.

i guess that one hears a new one every once inna while...beats the pouring powder over a ball in the palm of yer hand till it is covered BS...never heard of the grain for caliber inch before but cant argue with it. the lite grainage would and will be a flat pleassure to shoot and will sure save on tha powder supplies. should be an easy cleaning charge as well as the less is often less fouling to deal with.

so based on this figure then a 54 cal should use 54 grains
56 cal should use 56 grains
69 cal uses 69 grains
72 would = 72 grains

sound about rite?

thats interesting and i will use this for a trial when i get too it. the 54 grains has never graced my breech with such a lite load but now i wanna try it and see what she will act like.

Geraldo
12-31-2011, 09:42 AM
i guess that one hears a new one every once inna while...beats the pouring powder over a ball in the palm of yer hand till it is covered BS...never heard of the grain for caliber inch before but cant argue with it. the lite grainage would and will be a flat pleassure to shoot and will sure save on tha powder supplies. should be an easy cleaning charge as well as the less is often less fouling to deal with.

so based on this figure then a 54 cal should use 54 grains
56 cal should use 56 grains
69 cal uses 69 grains
72 would = 72 grains

sound about rite?

I use this as a place to start and I use 5gr increments: 55-60gr in a .54, 60gr in .58, etc. With the right patch I get accurate loads either at starting or within +5-10gr.

I learned this back in the day, when I was young and dumb and shot targets with 90gr in a .54. An older, wiser friend asked why I wanted to pound myself so when all I had to do was punch the paper.

boommer
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Yes shooting round ball 50 grains in 50 cal works great' but throwing big heavy conicals you need the horse power to bump up that slug to the bore. I've also heard that you can load 2 grs for every caliber is the max load for that caliber so 100grs 50 cal and108grs for a 54 cal.. so there's one more point of somebody's logic floating around. Just passing that one on to ad that one to the list to muzzle loader lore!!!

Fly
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Yea those are great rifles & you got some great info.I bought a GPR kit from Thirdgeneration
last year for about $340 & I love this rifle.I do think I,m going to get a GPH barrel also.I mostly
shoot PRB but it would be fun to have a fast twist barrel also.

Fly

duke76
01-03-2012, 07:13 PM

looks like they upped the shipping to 7.95 after the 1st

White Smoke
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
A buddy of mine has one, but in a 1:60 twist for shooting round balls. Most GPH shooters I know of that shoot the 1:32T use the Hornady Great Plains bullets with great success.