PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

NSP64
12-25-2011, 08:59 PM
o.k.
I have been reloading for a while (20+ yrs)
I need some advise from people who have reloaded with Trail boss.
I bought some to try, I loaded some shells with 1.0 gr difference in them.
I found one load that shoots good.
Should I try loads varying by.02gr to try and find that sweet spot, or would I be wasting my time.

This is a first time loading power that looks like cheerios.
And I would like to find the best shooting load.

Jeffrey
12-25-2011, 09:56 PM
What is your charge range? What are you trying to achieve? MOA?? Minute of deer...antelope...squirrel... what...?? What are the limitations of the firearm for which you are loading? Easy accuracy tricks are primer pocket reaming , flash hole deburring, sweet spot loading +_ 10% charges. Sounds like you got the charge right. Reaming and deburring are easy with the right tools. Those two are one time task on the brass that REALLY add to the accuracy of a cartridge. I worked up a load for a friend with those three easy tricks (reaming, deburring, sweet spot load). He shoots 1 MOA on deer.. And can't be happier with his loads. If he /she (not to be sexist) is HAPPY with those loads, record the data and make SURE it is not lost. Go for it. Jeffrey

Jim
12-25-2011, 10:01 PM
What's the caliber and the boolit you're currently working with?

NSP64
12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
45-70 14" pistol 2x scope 230gr boolit 1250fps got one load that printed 1" at 50 yrds.

I didnt know if tweeking the powder charge of TRAIL BOSS would be benificial or a waste of time

TB is so bulky I am not sure how to load for it
Just looking for the most accurate load to hunt with

tuckerdog
12-25-2011, 11:01 PM
trailboss is best loaded to the base of a seated boolit or just shy. It does not like to be compressed pressure spikes can occur. I've not had any experence with it in 45-70 but 44 38 & 357 it woks well and can achieve good accuracy. you wont get much in the velocity department but that isn't what tb is about, to answer your question yes it is benifical to tweak your load to the best you can but 1" @ 50yds I'd lock it down and rip the knobs off

saz
12-26-2011, 01:43 AM
I have found that TB is best when it is loaded just below the base of the boolit. If you can get your measure to throw consistent charges it makes for some impressive ES numbers. I have a load for my Puma 92 in 454 Casull and Lee 255 that clocks right in at 1100fps and ES is less than 12FPS. Recoil is like a 22mag, and it will stack 10 rounds on top of each other at 50 yds. Great load for the wife and youngsters to play around with. Would disbatch deer easily and is a good bunny thumper. I like TB a lot, just have to figure out how to measure consistently.

NSP64
12-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I have found that TB is best when it is loaded just below the base of the boolit. I like TB a lot, just have to figure out how to measure consistently.

This is what I have read / heard also. I have been weighing every charge
13.0 gr was my most accurate, @ 1150 fps, thats why I was surprised when groups started to open up as charge went up past 13.0.
21.0 gr of TB is full 45-70 with the boolit I'm using. So its only 61% of case capacity.

Later today I will try some 12.4,12.6,12.8,13.2,13.4,13.6 loads and see

NSB
12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I've loaded it in my 45-70 and have gotten some great accuracy with it. I've tried using 12.0 an 13.0 grains and didn't notice any change in accuracy. The thing I did notice is that what little recoil there was with 13 was gone with 12. It shoots great but even though I don't like a lot of recoil the total absence isn't much fun either. It's like shooting an air gun. Not much noise either. With a spotting scope you can watch the bullet going down range and see it hitting the target. I'm shooting a 13lb rifle. I guess if I was shooting a handgun I'd be giving it some serious consideration.

1Shirt
12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Go with what works for you! If it works don't try to fix it!
1Shirt!:coffee: