PDA

View Full Version : Starrett

Pigslayer
12-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Got tired of using "best guess" micrometers from China. Picked up a nice Starrett 0 to 1" micrometer on fleabay for a very reasonable price. My dad was a machinist for Hardinge Bros. Lathe Corp. for 32 years. He always used Starrett. Hardinge Bros. made some of the finest tool & die makers lathes in the business.

canyon-ghost
12-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Have one myself, Starrett that is.

Mooseman
12-25-2011, 09:12 PM
I use primarily Starrett and old Central micrometers personally but we also had some Mititoyo mics at the machine shop that were very precise as well and easy to read. I have a tool box with all kinds of old Mics and specialty mics that are very handy when you need them.

Rich

Lefty SRH
12-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I love my Starrett mics!

Reload3006
12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm a machinist All my mics are Starrett. IMO the best Brown n Sharpe is a close second... I love hardinge speed lathes too

Reg
12-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Got my first Starrett mike about 50 years ago, still have it. Nothing but American made quality.

;)

Moonman
12-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Retired machinist, I used Starrett my whole career, fine tools, still using my stuff in reloading applications.

With all the CRAFT JOBS that went off shore, many, many fine USED tools are out there.

Green Frog
12-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Back in the halcyon days of flea-Bay, I was taking classes at the local community college in machine tech. I bought two complete sets of Starrett mics from 1" to 4" to cover most of the work I planned to do. I think the most I paid for any single micrometer of any size was maybe $25, but then I started trying to put together a set of thread mics and the story changed. :-? I did get a tubing mic for checking neck thickness... that was a good buy. :) I also find Mitotuyo instruments to be very good for those who aren't hung up on Starrett or B&S.

Froggie

Sonnypie
12-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Definitely my choice. ;-)
I have Grandma's little quality control tools from Douglas Aircraft and WWII.
One Dad bought off a friend.
And my own including a Certified Electronic Digital Caliper.

Quality lasts. :grin:

arjacobson
12-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Got tired of using "best guess" micrometers from China. Picked up a nice Starrett 0 to 1" micrometer on fleabay for a very reasonable price. My dad was a machinist for Hardinge Bros. Lathe Corp. for 32 years. He always used Starrett. Hardinge Bros. made some of the finest tool & die makers lathes in the business.

Fantastic machines! I have run the heck out of an ancient dm59 second op lathe.. I have always wanted one of the little horizontal mills they used to make. Again top notch machines

Char-Gar
12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I have been using Starrett micrometers (I have 4) since 1959. I have a number of their other precision tools as well. If I need it and Starrett makes it, that is why I buy. They are a lifetime investment.

Johnk454
12-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a pretty good collection of Starret, B&S, and Miti measuring devices. All good.

Hardinge... a machinist friend taught me how to run a lathe on a Hardinge tool room lathe. Talk about a let-down when I discovered that pretty much every other lathe of similar size was a miserably far behind second place tool. A Monarch 10ee I have not operated yet. One day I intend to have a Hardinge.

1hole
12-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I have Starrett and B&S 1" mics and a Swiss 6" vernier caliper with a few Jo blocks to keep them checked dead on. I love em.

Thing is, I also have a few 1" to 4"Chinese mics. Plus two 6" and one 12" dial calipers and one 6" digital caliper that are also dead on or within a couple of tenths. That's not totally precise for high grade machine work but they are plenty good enough for any reloader's needs, IMHO, so they are what I use in the loading room. They each cost me less than 10% of new pro-grade measuring tools so a reloader could wear out or break a dozen of 'em and still break even!

arjacobson
12-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a pretty good collection of Starret, B&S, and Miti measuring devices. All good.

Hardinge... a machinist friend taught me how to run a lathe on a Hardinge tool room lathe. Talk about a let-down when I discovered that pretty much every other lathe of similar size was a miserably far behind second place tool. A Monarch 10ee I have not operated yet. One day I intend to have a Hardinge.

A 10ee huh? Last shop I worked at had one that still ran on vaccum tubes. It was like brand new. We got it at the local college auction and the guy who taught the electrical class couldn't get it working.LOL We called an old farmer who used to work on tube amps/radios,he had it running in an hr and a half.:drinks: We got it for 700.00 with a like new 3jaw-4jaw-5c collet chuck. Basically stole it.. I ran that machine for 5 years.:)

Johnk454
12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
A 10ee huh? Last shop I worked at had one that still ran on vaccum tubes. It was like brand new. We got it at the local college auction and the guy who taught the electrical class couldn't get it working.LOL We called an old farmer who used to work on tube amps/radios,he had it running in an hr and a half.:drinks: We got it for 700.00 with a like new 3jaw-4jaw-5c collet chuck. Basically stole it.. I ran that machine for 5 years.:)

Excuse me while I go cry in private... from what I've heard, a 10ee is a nice machine with loads of low-end grunt. It's the only other lathe I would jump on if I had the chance. Until a Hardinge or 10ee shows up, I'll muddle along with my old heavily modified chinese one.

white eagle
12-26-2011, 08:37 PM

bring top prices as well
tool and die tool rooms usually have a Hardinge lathe
Starret is good as well as Mititoyu :Fire:

arjacobson
12-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Excuse me while I go cry in private... from what I've heard, a 10ee is a nice machine with loads of low-end grunt. It's the only other lathe I would jump on if I had the chance. Until a Hardinge or 10ee shows up, I'll muddle along with my old heavily modified chinese one.

I sure miss that old girl! I have a grizzly lathe now that does pretty much what I need and really isn't too bad..BUT the 10ee with the variable speed knob right on the headstock. I would love to have that back. I should stop at the shop and see if the new owner wants to sell"that old lathe" LOL

40Super
12-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I've graduated from the ol manuals to nc's, these days CNC's. When I go back on manuals I fall asleep waiting for the machine. I run an even mix of Starret,Brown & Sharp,& Mititoyo. All good quality.

cajun shooter
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I started machinist trade school while in High School. I went my first three years and then my life changed as I had a wife and had joined the Army because of Viet Nam.
I'm still upset that I didn't ever go back and finish my machinist training.
The one thing that I did take away is that you purchase nothing but Starret tools.

Reload3006
12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Starrett Brown & Sharpe are my 2 go to precision tools I do have some Mititoyo lol they are good but it gags me to use them. Yep I am a buy american boy. or Swiss. Lathes Monarch 10ee and Hardinge speed lathes are the bomb I have been lucky enough to use them both and I absolutely love them both I would much rather thread on a Monarch but the guys that get the system down can do a bang up job on the hardinge. unfortunately they also command a very hefty price too so Boeing can afford them but I cant it will be a grizzly for me unless i happen to run across some dumb luck and snag an old Monarch

JIMinPHX
01-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Starrett mic's are great tools, as long as they are in good condition. If they have been abused, then they can be as bad or worse than the junk from China. The cost of a factory rebuild on a Starrett mic these days is almost as much as buying a new one. Be careful when buying a used mic. Some are good, others are not.

Pigslayer
01-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Starrett mic's are great tools, as long as they are in good condition. If they have been abused, then they can be as bad or worse than the junk from China. The cost of a factory rebuild on a Starrett mic these days is almost as much as buying a new one. Be careful when buying a used mic. Some are good, others are not.

I've seen people use an expensive micrometer like a C-Clamp. I just shake my head. Dad always taught me to use a light touch.

3006guns
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Pigslayer, you really need to look up the Practical Machinist website, join and introduce yourself in the antique discussion section. There are some very knowledgeable people there who would love some of your Dad's insight about Hardinge. Those lathes are highly thought of and each one "saved" from a trip to China is a victory.

I have a mixture of Starrett, Brown and Sharp, and probably the most under rated of the bunch.....Slocomb. Darn good mikes and can be had reasonably since they're not much of a "collectible".

Pigslayer
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Pigslayer, you really need to look up the Practical Machinist website, join and introduce yourself in the antique discussion section. There are some very knowledgeable people there who would love some of your Dad's insight about Hardinge. Those lathes are highly thought of and each one "saved" from a trip to China is a victory.

I have a mixture of Starrett, Brown and Sharp, and probably the most under rated of the bunch.....Slocomb. Darn good mikes and can be had reasonably since they're not much of a "collectible".

Oh dear. My Dad passed a few years ago. He worked at Hardinges for 32 years. Hardinge's actually lent him the money to build his first house back around 1950 for Mom & newborns. He always thought that hardinges was the ONLY place to work.
Dad was a fine machinist as well as carpenter. He did everything with precision. He was well respected at Hardinge brothers.

uscra112
01-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Did he pronounce it "Hardings"? All the old-timers in New England did when I was coming up.

Sad to say, Starrett fell on hard times a few years ago, and started peddling Asian stuff along with the rest. I wouldn't buy new from Starrett anymore. Have a few old ones, but still the best one I have is a 1950s Brown & Sharpe with a larger than usual barrel and thimble.

Hip's Ax
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I have a Starrett dial indicator and goose neck I bought back in the 80's when I was degreeing cam shafts in race bikes, it is one fine piece of USA made measuring equipment. Since then I have bought 2 dial calipers and a 0-1" mic and they have always performed flawlessly. I would buy no other.

Pigslayer
01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Did he pronounce it "Hardings"? All the old-timers in New England did when I was coming up.
Yes, that's exactly how it was said.

Green Frog
01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Sad to say, Starrett fell on hard times a few years ago, and started peddling Asian stuff along with the rest. I wouldn't buy new from Starrett anymore. Have a few old ones, but still the best one I have is a 1950s Brown & Sharpe with a larger than usual barrel and thimble.

IIRC, you can get a new-made American tool from Starrett, or pay less and get their "International" version. They did cheapen the brand by offering 2 quality levels, but I think you can still get the "real deal" if you are willing to pay for it... they just did like a lot of others and gave in to pressure to provide "affordable" (read "cheap") alternatives for those who didn't need and demand top quality. Glad I've got my stuff already, though! :drinks:

Froggie

PS Gerstner did the same thing with their Oak Machinist's Boxes. The price differential there is pretty staggering. :roll: