PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 14 problem

frnkeore
12-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I posted this on the RSA site a few months ago and couldn't get a answer there so, I'm hoping at a gunsmith on this site may be able to help.

I have a Model 14 in 25 Rem. My second time out with it, I got a jamed cartridge and still can't get the action open. It has a live round in it so, I have to be very careful.

The problem seems to be that it's not quite all the way to battery and the firing pin won't release. I took the butt stock off and tried to fire it with the sear but, it won't.

It seems that I either need to bring the breech block up a little or bring it back down (prefered) but, I haven't been able to do either.

The cartridge is jammed inside the chamber but, the bolt will not go into complete battery position, so that the firing pin will fall. And I can't find away to get the bolt to drop enough to open the breech. The bolt and receiver seem to be wedged together and won't move either direction.

Can anone help me with this?

Frank

seagiant
12-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Frank,
I have a 141 in 35 Rem. which is the same rifle. You need to hold in the bolt release button while you try to jack the action. As you said if the bolt does not go all the way into battery it does not allow the firing pin to release. This is a safety feature of course! If you are using reloads you have to be careful of the OAL,ask me how I know! Good luck!

Bret4207
12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I think seagiant has the idea. If it won't go by hand you could try having someone hold the button while you try moving the bolt back with a non-marring drift and light hammer. Sometimes brass will sort of gall it self and a little extra help is needed. Don't pound, just tap. Some penetrant on the case might help too.

frnkeore
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok, I'll try that. Thank you.

Frank