PDA

View Full Version : Hi temp axle grease?

338RemUltraMag
12-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I made up a batch of lube made with 1 lb of parafin wax, 1 lb of axle grease, and about 16 grains each of extra fine graphite and mica. I have yet to do any field testing so before I head out is there any cons with this concoction I should worry about? Also about what speed is it good for?

Ben
12-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Unless someone has made the exact concoction that you've made and I doubt that anyone has, it is impossible for anyone to answer all those questions.

You may be the one who gets to answer them ?

Jim
12-25-2011, 06:31 PM
That sounds a lot like THIS (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1089219&postcount=85).

338RemUltraMag
12-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Jim, that does soind similar. in a perfect world I am hoping to use it for my 54R with a mold I am desiginIng. At around 2100 fps I am wondering if it will hold up.

seagiant
12-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I use Glenn Fryxell's mix which is equal parts Beeswax/Moly auto grease. I put a little parrifin in to stiffen up a bit for the Fla. heat! I have used this in pistol and rifle from 30 call,to the 444 Marlin and have never seen any leading!

I think with you using just parafin wax it will be to stiff! Even with the grease mixed in!

GLynn41
12-25-2011, 07:13 PM
the grease will de stiffen the wax at least some-- i think -- you can also add a table spoon of vaseline if you want to soften it more-- most of us have this laying around--- a table spoon or maybe two of Carmax lotion can help// look at what is in it often lanolin-etc -- old shoe polish can also soften if need and addedcolor --just thoughts not professional -- using things around the house
lots of things work but not everything may work well --try and see

fryboy
12-25-2011, 07:22 PM
in my humble opinion the mica and graphite may try to settle out/down , while beeswax is a better base ,especially for higher velocities, paraffin can work ,as noted you may have to tweak it for your application ( harder softer tackier less tackier etc ) , what we dont know is if you used grease grease ( what gets used on front bearings and spindles ) or gear oil type stuff ( what gets used on most rear axles ) most of us will assume the latter of course and we'll all be curious how it does for your application !!

338RemUltraMag
12-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I used what you pack bearings with and can assure you it isnt too stiff I kept tweaking it until it got just right. It is slick as goose snot that is for sure. It is tackey it sticks to darn near any lead, my only problem is I have to get it to about 200° to melt. If anyone would like to sample it I would be happy to send some!

Jim
12-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I made a batch of that stuff I linked in post 3. I melted the bee's wax and then whisked the grease into the molten wax. The grease has a drop point of 350 and that's way too hot for bee's wax. It took a bit of whisking, stirring and beating, but I did manage to get it blended.

I left it in the small aluminum pot I made it in. When I got ready to actually use it, I turned the hot plate to medium and gave it about 20 minutes to heat up. It was kinda' thick, like molasses. I dipped the boolits in it, set 'em on a tray and let 'em cool. then I ran 'em through a sizer die.

The stuff is sticky and hangs in the grooves pretty good. I ran a dozen or so 500 gr. RNs through my Gibbs Summit and it seems to work just fine.

338RemUltraMag
12-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Good to know jim, what you described is my lube to a tee. I am gonna try to see what it does for pistol boolits then step up to rifle velocities. Wish me luck!

zomby woof
12-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I made some lube very similar with some grease from a tube. It worked well but I got lots of smoke at the muzzle.