PDA

View Full Version : New Thumler's Tumbler model B

GMW
12-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Merry Christmas! A new tumbler was waiting for me under the tree along with six pounds of ceramic media and a quart bottle of solution. What is the ratio to water/solution/media should I use to clean brass? I want to start first on my 45ACP brass.

Moonman
12-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I use (Magnetic) Stainless Steel Pins .041/.042 diameter x .252/.255 long, five pounds of media, one (1) gallon Water, some Dawn Dish Washing Soap, a 9mm case full of Lemi-Shine rinse agent and two (2) pounds of Brass.

I only tumble about 1 hour, depends upon hardness of your water for soap amount. Some people tumble 1-4 hours depending upon brass size and condition.

I don't know anything about Ceramic Cleaning but I'm thrilled with the Stainless Steel Pins, the Primer Pockets look new.

Good Luck with the new toy.

montana_charlie
12-25-2011, 06:27 PM
The advice from Clarence and Lumpy Grits should work for you ...

CM

Sonnypie
12-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Like Moonman, I use SS pins in mine.
So I don't know about the ceramic media.
And you say a quart of solution... WHAT solution?

I started off with the recommendations of approx 1 gallon water, 2 tbs dish-washing detergent, and 1/4 ts of LemiShine.

Now I have a dis-guarded liquid hand soap pump with soap in it and use 2 pumps.
And the LemiShine is a light sprinkle, and no longer measured. (But it is about 1/4 ts)
And I bring the water up to about 1" below the top.

I do all my batching, rinsing, and separating on the driveway in front of my shop. The dirty water rinses away and if any pins get away I can easily see them and get them with a magnet.
I spread the load of brass from the separator on a large terry shop towel while I start the next load.
Once it's tumbling I roll the brass back and forth hammock like, and stand it on end in front of a fan on low to blow dry in pistol ammo box inserts.

I count my rifle brass into batches, but just guess-ti-mate batches for my pistol brass.

You're gonna love how your brass comes out. :-D

'74 sharps
12-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Thumlers is elegant in its simplicity. I do about 2 hours with hot water, healthy squirt of cheap dish soap, add a tablespoon of ascorbic acid. Bottled lemon juice works well also. Rinse, towel dry, and stick in warm oven till dry. SS media - no fooling around with dry tumbling dust, cleaning primer pockets etc. Leave the corncob media for the crows and the walnut shells for the squirrels.

cajun shooter
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I have been using the model B since the 70's. Put in your brass and then only cover with enough media to cover the brass well. Put just enough water to cover the media and brass by about a 1/4 inch. DON"T OVER FILL WITH WATER LIKE SOME POSTINGS THAT SAY IT IS THE PROPER WAY. Give it a good squirt of Dawn or Palmolive/OXY and let turn for at least a few hours, depending on brass. I turn my BP cases for three hours and they are like new inside and out.
I'm sure that this post is going to reach you too late but you need to make at least two runs with your ceramic and soap with no brass to break it in. If you don't then you may end up with a grey looking dirty brass and media as I did.
The only way to correct this is to run the media in mineral spirits to clean it and after run it with soap then you may add brass.
I ended up buying some round ball media to mix with my angle so that my primer pockets would be better cleaned and it works. Have Fun David

Moonman
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
The Gallon of water is to allow really dirty cases contaminates more room to be held in suspension within the liquid.