PDA

View Full Version : Will std. Weaver Rings "clear" a 44 MM obj scope?

Lawyerman
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Anyone know if standard height Weaver rings will allow a Simmons "44 Mag" scope to clear the barrel or will I need mid height rings? I am thinking of pulling a scope off a rifle and replacing it with the Simmons -rifle is a loaner with a 4x Weaver on it now. I don't want to go to the hassle of pulling it off if the rings on it won't work. I would have to resight the gun in for no reason etc....if I pulled the current scope just to see. Anyone know?

leftiye
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
More info is needed. It will depend (amoung other things) on how high the base(s) are, and also on your barrel contour (how much taper just ahead of the reciever, or base). Different objective bells of the same lens diameter (supposedly) have different outside diameters. Simmons I seem to recall has a very thick housing, and is bigger overall therefore.

If you buy the rings/bases in a store, they'll probably assemble it for you. Not doubting that you can do it, it's how you get them to let you be sure before you buy something that won't work.

Lawyerman
03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I have the rings and bases already. The bases are standard Weaver two piece bases a number 46 and 47. I have eyeballed the setup and it is going to be very close. I guess the only way to know for sure is to go ahead and change them over and see what happens.

The old Weaver is a decent scope but it's light transmission isn't great and I know the 44MM will gather more light. Even thought the Simmons is a "budget" scope there have been alot of advances in lens coatings etc.. in the last 30-35 years since the K4 was made. Bought the Simmons for $10 out of a pawn shop here in town- rings attached. Heck the rings alone are worth the $10!