PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Hunters Check In Please

TXGunNut
12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Having so much fun and good results with the 45/70, I really am questioning the handgun thing.-Crusty Deary Ol' Coot

I've taken deer and hogs using a 14" 35 Rem T/C Contender (w/ j-bullets :() and carry a Ruger BH in 45 Colt (nowadays stoked with CB loads!) for a backup. After reading a few threads here today I couldn't help but wonder how many folks hunt with CB's and handguns. Didn't want to hijack any of the great threads going on but thought it would be nice to know.
Pics and loads welcome!

dave22250
12-25-2011, 11:58 AM
I have'nt yet myself but I am starting to load for some of my pistols with cast and can't wait to start shooting and working up loads,Im just buying store bought for now I hope they shoot good.

EdS
12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi TX: I've hunted with cast boolits in my M-29, .44 Mag since the 1960s. When I graduated high school, I received some small cash gifts from family. I bought my first mould, a Lyman 429422 hollow base. I cast with iron pot and ladel over my Mom's kitchen stove. I loaded these over Unique or 2400 and still use similar loads today. I took two of my very best whitetail bucks with my M-29, using factory sights. I tried a Contender with a scope, but never liked the bulky size and limited field of view of scoped handguns. I also have a like-new M-19 with a 6" barrel and have developed a few CB loads for it using Unique and 296. I've hunted with this, but have not yet taken a deer with the .357. My son took his first whitetail buck with a M-336, 30-30 using Lyman 31141 CBs. Merry Christmas, Ed

9.3X62AL
12-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Lots of years of hunting with handguns and cast boolits here. This assumes varmint and small game hunting counts in this thread. I've taken a couple whitetails with j-words and handguns, back prior to getting so deeply involved in boolit crafting.

Since small game and varmints make up such a large part of my cast boolit hunting activity, mid-caliber handguns (30s and 32s) make up a lot of my loading effort and aquisitions. Most recently, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 U.S. Carbine to explore the upper end of the 30/32 caliber revolver velocity spectrum, and an accuracy comparison to the 32 H&R Magnum--which ROCKS.

Dale53
12-25-2011, 04:38 PM
All of my deer have been taken with cast bullet handguns (.44 magnum). I have two hunting revolvers set up with scope sights (an 8 3/8" Model 29 with a Burris Big Dot Scope and a Ruger Red Hawk 7½" with a Leupold with duplex cross hairs). Getting use to the scopes just took a bit of trigger time. I have spent a LOT of time behind these platforms.

When you talk edible small game, then I have done that with my S&W Model 631 (4" .32 H&R Mag Kit Gun), my S&W Model 60 (3" dbl underlug barrel with target sights in .38 Special), and my .357 with 4" barrel S&W CS-1, and my various .44 Specials also work well with small game.

There can be few things more sporting than handgun hunting in all it's various guises.

To be effective with a handgun takes a LOT of trigger time. That represents some of the most fun I've ever had in this life.

Dale53

GLynn41
12-25-2011, 07:01 PM
deer, groundhogs, wild dogs, and a boar all with some kind of .41 or .41 wildcat- and my cast I have taken excatly one deer with a 170JHC -I have used a .41 --.41/44, and 41.454- and a TC 14" braked 41.445 out to about 175 yards
This year I have hunted with a 9" TC --burris 2x6 scope- and 41/44 using a lwngc from Mihec group buy -- I forgot to take the safety off twice oh well good for the deer but I like the little gun
the thing about hundgun hunting I let animals walk that I could easily take with my fav rifle a Vanguard .358 Win-- efficent but not as fun and challengeing -- killing power no problem getting the shot --priceless
The trigger time Dale53 spoke of is just fun

Lefty SRH
12-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I've got cast load/hunting loads worked up for all my wheel guns. I've just started casting so as soon as I get all the casting kinks worked out I'll be hunting with MY cast boolit and loads!

Lefty SRH
12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
They will be .44spl, 44 mag, mid range .45 colt, high end pressure .45 colt, and .480 Ruger

harley45
12-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I love hog hunting with my 10mm!

Johnch
12-25-2011, 08:09 PM
44 mag RedHawlk
454 Super RedHawlk
44 Mag , 357 Max and 45/70 Contender barrels

This year only the 44 mag RedHawlk got a deer
But most years I get several deer with a cast Boolit in a handgun
But the weather sucked and I didn't need the meat
As I took 2 doe's with the bow and 1 with the muzzel loader

John

NSP64
12-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I had a chance this year.
I had bought an antlerless only tag for gun season(shotgun,ML,Handgun in Illinois) opening day I only saw bucks:(

We are limited to straight walled, .30 or bigger, available factory loaded @ 500 ftlb at the muzzle. So I got a 45-70 14" contender this year

x101airborne
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I carry some type of revolver nearly every day. My most memorable shots were with a model 67 on a yote at 65 yards with 158 remington swaged SWC's over unique, several pigs with everything from a 22 buckmark to the 454 casull, all with cast. My first pig with the TC super 14 in 308 winchester- cast. My wife likes shooting skunks and dillos with her ruger blackhawk 41 mag. My bulldog is a CLOSE personal friend of mine stoked with either Jim's custom wadcutters or my seaco 260 grainers. Yeah, I hunt with cast from a handgun. More like it is my bread-and-butter.

white eagle
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
would not even consider hunting without a cast Boolit
I carry handguns and a rifle my first choice in the shot is with the handgun
44 mag,480 ruger or 357 mag

thebigmac
12-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes, I have hunted with hanguns. Took a small 4 pointer a few years ago, using a T/C 10 " contender. He dropped about 15' from where he was shot. I used a Hornady 139 soft point in the 7mmTCU, out to 80 yards. For the past few years I have carried my SUPER RED HAWK .44 Mag. with a 2X scope. No deer yet. Health kept me home this year. Will try again next year.
Before I retired I hunted with a 4" S&W, got one who shot a Police Officer; another was a burglar, & the last were two bank holdup men. (None went to trial...):Fire:

Crawdaddy
12-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I have hunted rabbits, armadillo and hawg with handguns. It is a lot of fun. I took my traditions Vortek pistol with me this year when I deer hunted but didn't use it.

1kshooter
12-25-2011, 11:56 PM
you are all very lucky to be able to hunt with your hand guns!....In Canada if I jump through anough hoops I am allowed to take my hand guns from my home to a club shoot papper and then right back home!
Jonathan

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2011, 12:12 AM
HI,
4 Mule deer, w/ 44 mag.
rabbits, squirrels, birds, spiders, snakes and such.
Never enough left of the spiders too eat though, so maybe they don't count.:Fire::Fire:

DragoonDrake
12-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I have taken a handgun for a walk many times. So far my only pistol kills have been a ground hog and a chipmonk with the same RBH.

Doughty
12-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Hunting with a handgun, or having a handgun while hunting? When my eyes were young, I hunted with a handgun. Now i just carry a handgun along while I'm hunting with a rifle. Sometimes, when the light and the gods align between shakes, it still works out.

singleshot
12-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Hunt with a RSBH 44 mag, 7.5" barrel. This year I had a fork-antler deer tag, only saw does, elk (bull and cow), bears, etc.

But then on the last day of the hunt, exhausted and able to hike up&down the mountains no more, I crested a ridge and there it was, a 6 pt beauty. I laser ranged a 290 yard shot, got down on my haunches to rest my elbows on my knees and squeezed off a shot....perfect hit! I walked the 1/8 mile + bristling with anticipation. Yep! I'd done it. Right through the boiler room.

The knot on the stump I'd aimed for was partially disintigrated with a perfect pass-through. I'd gathered my firewood for the day. [smilie=l: As it turned out, there were about 10-12 knots and outcropings on that stump, but didn't know for sure with my open sights.

And that was the only shot I got off this hunting season :-(:-(

TXGunNut
12-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Hunting with a handgun, or having a handgun while hunting? When my eyes were young, I hunted with a handgun. -Doughty

Good point, I'm right there with you. My RBH has an aperture rear sight so I'll be able to hunt with irons for awhile longer. I tote it along for backup but I've never needed it. Haven't used a Contender for a primary hunting "rifle" for years but they're certainly up to the task.
Seems we have a few folks around here who hunt with big-bore, long barrelled revolvers, some even wearing optics. Never tried that, seems to be pretty effective, tho.

Old Iron Sights
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
The only handgun I ever killed anything with was my Colt Walker. Got the opportunity at a close shot on a smaller deer and took it.

Thumbcocker
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I have gone compleatly over to handguns and bow for deer. Have also taken a hog and two coyotes with .44's. Lots of squirrels with .22 rimfires and a few critters with .357. My avatar was a real good day. If you look close you can see a Bisley .44 next to the does.

Wolfer
12-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I have taken many rabbits with a .22 s.a. This year my RNV .45 has accounted for 1 grouse,
1 deer, 1 coyote. It has taken every species of game available in southwest Mo. A few years
back I shot a deer with a 250 gr nosler but all others have been home cast. I also have killed 2 deer with the lee 452-200 rf shot out of a Remington cap and ball. For me a field handgun must be shootable without earplugs when hunting. I can get a cb to the velocity I want with a noise level I can tolerate but not so with jacketed

waksupi
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Trying to remember everything. There was grouse, rabbits, squirrels, gophers, raccoons, deer, antelope, marmots, and coyotes that come to mind immediately.

M4bushy
12-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I hope to next year. I'm still trying to get used to shooting a revolver. I guess I've spent to much time with an auto pistol in my hand. Having the bore axis so high on a revolver just feels odd to me after shooting autos for so long.

jhalcott
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Lots of deer, ground hog and prairee dogs with a number of revolvers and single shots .Smallest round was the 7TCU or 7 BR, largest was the 45-70. This is with CAST bullets. 7IHMSA, 45ACP and even the 17HMR have been used on ground hogs, but NOT with cast!

bearcove
12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
First deer 1980 Ruger BH 357. Pistol or bow most of the time.

white eagle
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
took the 44 out for an evening hunt for deer
nothing sighted

ghh3rd
12-27-2011, 11:25 PM
I climbed trees and walked many miles with my 45-70 Guide Gun this season, hoping to blood it, but no luck, yet. I still have a hunt or two left before the season ends.

Early in the season, I actually hoped to blood my Ruger SBH .44 Mag as well , right after the 45-70 :smile:

Perhaps next season, I'll give the SBH the first crack at a deer or hog.

Randy

trickyasafox
12-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I have taken deer with a a few encore calibers (7mm-08 in a 15in barrel & 44mag in a 10 in barrel) as well as a 357 mag revolver. I much prefer hundgun hunting, and have little desire to do anything else. All hunting done with other implements (archery, muzzleloader, etc) is just to help fill the freezer.

small game hunting with a 22 lr pistol is also about as much fun as a person can have.

DanWalker
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Have taken Deer, Hogs,Antelope, coyotes, prairie dogs,rabbits, squirrels, grouse,snakes,etc...
Most have been with something 45 caliber, either my ruger blackhawk in 45Colt, or my 1911.
Took a few animals with contenders, but found the guns to be awkward and unbalanced for me, and just didn't fit my style of hunting at all.

roverboy
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I've only killed one deer with a handgun. It was a little scrubby spike with my Ruger Security Six 6" using 158 gr. swc cast. Really needed a wider nose on that one. I 've killed a couple rabbits with it too(head shots). I killed a bunch of squirrels with my Ruger MkII.

DIRT Farmer
12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
My best year was 73 ground hogs with my 357 black hawk. I was running cattle with my Father in law in 1972 and had the gun on my hip every day. I have no clue how many rabbits and squirrels. One quail with the old 44 hot shot in a T-C Contender, memerable day, and one deer with 357 Herriot in T-C 158 cast Kieth style, DRT.

David LaPell
12-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I started hunting with handguns not long after I got my pistol permit when I was 19 and got my grandfather's old .22 Woodsman. I think if I recall the first animal I ever shot with a handgun was a beaver. My granddad's place was over run with the darn things and he was getting up in years and he could not keep them in check anymore. I wasn't a trapper and it was the summer time and the pelts were worthless at that time of year. They would come down and jam up a culvert on his pond and it would flow over the small damn there. I would sit up high on a bank and plank them as them swam through on the surface. I had a Ruger 10-22 but it was pretty tough going to get there so the handgun made it easier to get in there. I shot a couple that way but then I nailed two with the Colt. I think I killed four or five between that summer and the next year.
I have killed snapping turtles, more than one snake, an ornery muskrat, and several grouse with handguns along with a few squirrels. As far as deer, three years ago I had a small six pointer come past and I hit him with a .41 Magnum slug and then he stopped about 20 yards in front and face me broadside. I put another one into him and I watched him stagger and he just walked away. Not more than two minutes went by and another hunter came strolling in. I found alot of blood but we never found that deer. I shot a coyote two years ago with a .32-20 revolver, and now I have turned all the business over to my .38-44 Outdoorsman, especially since I got hurt and can't carry a long gun. No deer hunting this year, but maybe before the season ends and the docs approve I will get out for some grouse and coyotes.

LAH
12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Hog, deer, groundhog, hawk, crow, squirrel, etc. but guys some of the best fun with the SBH 44 mag was snakes. I love to walk out on the railroad bridges & shoot snakes lying in the brush piles against piers.

Olevern
12-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Having so much fun and good results with the 45/70, I really am questioning the handgun thing.-Crusty Deary Ol' Coot

Get you a BFR in 45-70 and get the best of both worlds.

Wilson
12-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Nothing with cast bullets yet.
Two deer with .357 jacketed soft and hollow point.
One deer this year with Glock 20, 10mm jackedt HP.
Squirrels, armadillos, coons ...
I am working on a CB load for the G20 and the S&W .357s for next year.

BlueSmoke
12-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I've got two whitetails with a 44 mag SBH. LBT LFN 300gr, 19gr of AA#9. One fell with legs folded under him and the other had a short run of about 40 yards.

I'm a believer in the big bullet, flat point, moderate (compared to rifle) velocity kills great. Less shock to the animal, less meat damage.......and two big holes.

Happy New Year...!!!!!:drinks:

Regards,

BlueSmoke

TXGunNut
12-30-2011, 01:58 PM
My RBH in 45 Colt goes on with my pants this week, was out doing stand and feeder maint with it yesterday and was hoping for a chance to blood it, mebbe today.:coffee: I'll have my Guide Gun along again but it's not loaded until I get out of the truck. Good habit but slows me down when I spot something and bail out after it.

saz
01-05-2012, 11:59 PM
My 4 5/8 SBH goes everywhere with me, and it has accounted for one spruce grouse and one snowshoe hare. I have my BFR that is now my "dedicated" hunting pistol.

44 flattop
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I started hunting with a pistol in 1978 when I made my first revolver kill on a nice fat doe. That is when the bug bit me and I continued hunting with revolvers and T/C's until the early 2000's when I was rebitten by the levergun bug.

In that 25 years of pistol only hunting in up to 9 different States, I took a dozen and a half bull elk, dozens of mulies, whitetails and blacktails, a half dozen bear (just don't care to kill them, really) so many grouse I can't count them, bunnies, coyotes and many other vermin.

My Dad started me out casting for my guns when I was 12 years old and have never quit. So few of my game kills were taken with jacketed bullets that I can truthfully only think of 5 in all those years. There may have been more but I can't think of them. Usually a jacketed bullet was used when a new gun/caliber came into the house and I didn't have time to purchase the appropriate moulds, sizing dies, etc.

white eagle
01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
lot of experience there 44
nice that you can join us here I will look forward to hearing more of your exploits

DrB
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Squirrels and rabbits with a ruger mark II. A six point whitetail with a springfield xd in 45 (went down in sixty yards), and a pile of squirells with the 7tcu in 14" contender.

The latter was using the 7mm hunter at 900fps, and was good for head/neck shots out past 40 yds.

I have a nice 44 mag ruger redhawk (thanks to a member of this forum) that I am looking forward to taking after whitetails in tight cover.... it may be next season though.

44 flattop
01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks White Eagle!

I don't hunt with pistols quite as much anymore. I've went to big bore Leverguns with cast instead. It is just getting harder and harder to see the sights of my revolvers now that I'm .....ack....gasp.....getting older. I still take the occasional critter with my .44's like the other day when I shot two coyotes, but the light has to be just right for me to see the sights as well as need be these days.

This past season I took an antelope, mule deer, blacktail deer and bull elk all with leverguns, all but the elk with cast because I was using a new (to me) 444 Marlin on the elk. Next year if I use the 444 it will definately be using a cast load.

41mag
01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Well I have been toting some form of sidearm to the woods for the better part of the past 25 or so years. While some times it was exclusively to shoot something with them, most times it was for a secondary purpose.

In the past 10 or so years I have carried my Ruger Redhawk in 41mag with me more times than not. Just ove the past year I have gotten into casting my own boolits to feed my 454, and now my 45 Colt. The 41 is still my sweetheat, but she don't do so well with cast just yet. I need to get her chambers honed up a bit. The other two however are gaining ground on her fast with the Colt coming on strong since getting it back in late Sept. Something about those bigger boolits is so appealing to me.

I have so far managed to shoot one hog trotting at 87yds and finish up on one deer with great authority I might add using the 454. This weekend however I will be toting the 45 Colt out through the sticks in hopes of dropping some more porkers for the freezer. I'll be loaded with the Lee 255gr RF's loaded right to 1200fps, and hoping for some good close shots.

I'll be sure to post up any success pic's.

Tar Heel
01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I hunt almost exclusively with handguns. Use 357 Mag (groundhogs), 41 Mag (white tail), 44 Mag (Boar), 32-20 Contender (groundhogs), 454 Casull (Boar), 411-JDJ (white tail & boar), 375-JDJ (sheep & white tail). Here is a shot of a nice white tail I harvested with the 411-JDJ near Middleburg Virginia. Used the SSK 295gr cast bullet. ALL of my handgun hunting bullets are cast by me with the exception of the 375-JDJ. That too has been rectified thanks to Tom at Accurate Molds.

Like 41mag, the 41 Magnum is my favorite caliber to load for and hunt with. It simply has so much potential. Where it leaves off, the 454 Casull picks up. For long range hunting you can't beat the SSK calibers (375-JDJ, 411-JDJ etc..).

My single action revolvers are my favorite 41 Magnum gun to hunt with but I confess, I also have a T/C barrel for that caliber too. You can really get the performance out of that round with a T/C barrel.

oscarflytyer
01-12-2012, 02:32 AM

I've taken deer and hogs using a 14" 35 Rem T/C Contender (w/ j-bullets :() and carry a Ruger BH in 45 Colt (nowadays stoked with CB loads!) for a backup. After reading a few threads here today I couldn't help but wonder how many folks hunt with CB's and handguns. Didn't want to hijack any of the great threads going on but thought it would be nice to know.
Pics and loads welcome!

not yet, but... constantly carry a RBH and intend to take a deer as a target of opportunity as it presents itself...

19112TAP
01-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I've been able to harvest several deer with 44 mag's a S&W 29 8 5/8"bl and my most recent Ruger Bisley Hunter customized by Horton with a Burris 2.5x, my go to load is W296 behind a Miha 44/444 HP molded boolit out of WW.

I also have taken allot of small game with .32 H&R (Ruger single six bisley), 357 mag (Ruger bisley) and my 44 spl ( Ruger bisley flat top) all with my cast boolits.

TXGunNut
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Impressive record with the T/C's, Tar Heel. Looks like you like the old ones as I do. First I've heard of a .411 JDJ, hadn't heard much about the .375 JDJ in years either. I think of Contenders as rifles with short bbls and stocks. I've had precious few rifles that could out-shoot the .35 Rem or .223 I have. Pretty handy to tote while hunting as well. They take a little longer to get on target but I guess I could improve on that.
Hope to shoot a critter with my RBH in 45 Colt someday. Only time it comes out of the holster is when I go into the thick stuff looking for a (hopefully!) dead hog.

mstarling
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Bought an S&W M57 in 1965. Eventually fitted it out with a 6" tube and a 2x Leupold. Have hunted it off and on since. Usually use either the H&G 256 210 gr boolit or the 210 gr Remington SP bullet. Longest kill is 124 yards lasered.

Have also used a 1911 in 40 S&W w 135 gr Nosler HPs at 1350 fps. Kill at 65 yards was spectacularly effective. Bullet detonated after 3" of penetration so not a good hunting projectile. Has killed piggies with a 175 gr SWC boolit.

I usually concealed carry a 3" round butt M657 Horton custom while hunting as is allowed by the DNR w a carry permit. Have not needed it for anything more than a snake or two.

missionary5155
01-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Good morning
Started out popping squirrels & wabbits then moved up to 4 legged yappers. Finally about 10 years ago the great state of ILL. decided it was safe to bushwack corn crunchers with a handhelp launching platform. So the Dan Wesson 375 Supermag got the call. Always wanted to sley a bean muncher with a 38-55 but the state of ILL. does not view that as legal. So I loaded the Dan up to 1235 fps with a Lyman 375248 cast with 50/50 and drilled a buck at about 15 yards just east of Shake Rag road. Swtched back to 41 mag for most my handgun hunting after that.
AS I hunt woods & river bottoms all my shots are close. Farthest deer I have shot was maybe 35 yards. So hanguns with heavy cast boolits for me are far better than a shotgun. But I hunt alot more with a recurve bow. Gun season in the state of ILL. is very limited and I enjoy launching pointy missles.
Mike in Peru

Tar Heel
01-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Impressive record with the T/C's, Tar Heel. Looks like you like the old ones as I do. First I've heard of a .411 JDJ, hadn't heard much about the .375 JDJ in years either. I think of Contenders as rifles with short bbls and stocks. I've had precious few rifles that could out-shoot the .35 Rem or .223 I have. Pretty handy to tote while hunting as well. They take a little longer to get on target but I guess I could improve on that.
Hope to shoot a critter with my RBH in 45 Colt someday. Only time it comes out of the holster is when I go into the thick stuff looking for a (hopefully!) dead hog.

The 45lc will get it done. I hope you have a good cast heavy bullet for it too. Sorry for the short reply...am in Florida on a trip and typing for first time on a friends iPad.

missionary5155
01-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Good morning TXGunNut
Head over to JESS Reboring site as he is reboring Marlin 336 barrels to .412 groove then rechambering them to .412 JESS which is very similar to the .411 JDJ. Had an old rustybore 30-30 Glenfield rebored to .412 groove but mine will become a .414 SuperMag when I get up north there this summer. If I ever get tired of that cartrige the it will be an easy step up to .411 JESS or the .411 JDJ or whatever .412 cartrige will fit... like the 40-60.
Mike in Peru

TXGunNut
01-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes, Tar Heel, it's a 255 gr Lee patterned after St Elmer's boolit. Careful with that iPad, next thing you know you'll be wanting a smart phone. My 6 or 7 yr old phone is smarter than I am but I still toy with the idea of an upgrade.
Good to hear from you, Mike. Those are intriguing projects and a bore I haven't given much thought to. Will have to follow your adventures with it from afar as I already have .32, .35, .45 and someday even .30 bore projects already on the list for hunting rifles I currently have. When I get the .35 Rem working for my rifle the next step will be a CB load for my T/C. The T/C is a good choice for stand hunting, may have to bring it out of retirement.
Have to admit .411/.412 sounds like a great caliber for a hog gun...like I really need another one! Will have to do a bit of reading on the subject. :bigsmyl2:

Tar Heel
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes, Tar Heel, it's a 255 gr Lee patterned after St Elmer's boolit. Careful with that iPad, next thing you know you'll be wanting a smart phone. My 6 or 7 yr old phone is smarter than I am but I still toy with the idea of an upgrade.
Good to hear from you, Mike. Those are intriguing projects and a bore I haven't given much thought to. Will have to follow your adventures with it from afar as I already have .32, .35, .45 and someday even .30 bore projects already on the list for hunting rifles I currently have. When I get the .35 Rem working for my rifle the next step will be a CB load for my T/C. The T/C is a good choice for stand hunting, may have to bring it out of retirement.
Have to admit .411/.412 sounds like a great caliber for a hog gun...like I really need another one! Will have to do a bit of reading on the subject. :bigsmyl2:

Hahaha. Just call JD Jones at SSK and get it over with. Ask about the 411-JDJ.

TXGunNut
01-15-2012, 12:06 AM
STOP IT!

:kidding:

ADfields
01-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Handgun hunter? Yup, dat me.

I dabbled in it a soon as I got my first handgun, a nickel plated Colt SSA .22 Grandpa gave me but most of my hunting was always rifle. Then in the early 80s the great State of Arizona made a HAM season (handgun/ archery/muzzleloader) in my stompin grounds that started 3 weeks before rifle opened. That first year I put in for rifle as pre normal not thinking about how this would effect me . . . dang did I end up hunting hard to get a raunchy deer since they had 3 weeks of pressure by the time I started huntin.

Next year (1981 I think) I figured hey, I got that 357 Blackhawk that should kill a deer, I’m puttin in for that HAM thing this time! I did real well that year and next thing you know I was hooked on the handgun thing. I haven’t taken any large game with anything but a handgun since about 1994, I fill my freezer with handguns and see no point in lugging a rifle around hunting anymore. I love rifles, got lots of them, shoot them all the time for fun just don’t want to pack them around the field anymore. In fact, I picked up a S&W 460V back in 2008 to play with thinking I’d sell the heavy think later but it’s the only gun I pack now. I’ve put lots of mule deer, cooze deer, black tale deer, elk, moose, black bear, caribou, javelina, East Texas hog, and lots of other stuff in my freezer with a handgun over the years. Who needs a rifle! Well I guess I do, just not to hunt with.:D

Tar Heel
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
STOP IT!

:kidding:

Did ya order it yet?? :Fire:

TXGunNut
01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Did ya order it yet?? Trouble Maker

Must have missed that PM with your credit card # & expiration date....lemme go check again. :wink:

shtur
01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I saw some doe antelope sunning on a side hill. I sneaked up the back side and looked down on them about 40 yds. I had my 44mag, so I placed the '06 on the ground and shot the closest doe. When she rolled over, I was hooked on handgun hunting for big game. I have always hunted grouse with a .22 pistol, am looking forward to trying a .32 with CB's.

trickyasafox
01-23-2012, 11:28 PM
another handgun hunter here. Still haven't figured out the perfect setup, but have taken deer with the 357 mag, 44 mag, and 7mm-08 all out of handguns. I might do some heavy 45acp+P stuff for some in close hunts next year.

Harter66
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
I've carried a 357 for about 10yr whether rifle or shot gun hunting . It has accounted for,1 cottontail,2 coyotes,1 badly hit mulie doe(afriend of a friends newphew ruined the tender loins) at about 25 yd and another I should have shot w/the pistol in the 1st place (she was boiler housed at about 40 yd and just locked up every hair on her standing up.) . That was a 15 yd brain disconnection. Same deer situations my RBH 45 Colts will handle from here on out .

Rafe Covington
01-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I have hunted with revolvers and TC's since about 1969, have always enjoyed it. To be honest have used TC's mostly, used revolvers some but not near as much as the TC's. JMHO

Rafe:redneck:

rexherring
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
My last 3 muledeer were taken with my Blackhawk .45 LC with cast 255 RCBS SW, 18.5 grs of AA#9. The last one shot was at about 40 yds straight at me. The boolit entered the chest and was just under the hide by the tail. I'd say that was good penetration on a 155 lb deer.

mellonhead
01-31-2012, 07:05 PM
I do most of my hunting with revolvers. Here are a few pics from the last year.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/2.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/100_0074.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/000_0001-2.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/000_0001.jpg

This is my other favorite hunting weapon!!!!!!

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/105_0485.jpg

Wolfer
01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Well. A picture truly is worth a thousand words! You are a kindred spirit and you are among kindred spirits

44deerslayer
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Another handgunner here. I carry m 29 4 inch with iron sights and m28 6 inch with 4 x Leuplod scope . I got 4 bucks and 6 doe with my 29 and 1 buck and 3 doe with the 28. My load for the 44 is 429421 cast with Lino type and 18.5 grains of 2400. My 357 load is358156 with 14.5 grains of 2400. Check out my profile .

BigboreShooter
02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Have been hunting with a handgun since 1975. I've taken about 20 whitetails, 2 mule deer,2 bull elk,one blackbear and lots of small game. In fact I've never killed a head of big game with a rifle.
In the last few years i've tried to hunt with a revolver as much as possible, but I have taken many animals with T/C Contender/Encore.

BigboreShooter

TXGunNut
02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow. Some hardcore handgun hunters around here. Very impressive. Guess my Contenders need to come out of retirement. New scope covers came in today, all I need is a few pistol boolit loads.

LAH
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
all I need is a few pistol boolit loads.

Sure like you "need" another mould.

Tar Heel
02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Sure like you "need" another mould.

Thanks..that reminds me...I need another mold.

WRideout
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I have taken deer with a a few encore calibers (7mm-08 in a 15in barrel & 44mag in a 10 in barrel) as well as a 357 mag revolver. I much prefer hundgun hunting, and have little desire to do anything else. All hunting done with other implements (archery, muzzleloader, etc) is just to help fill the freezer.

small game hunting with a 22 lr pistol is also about as much fun as a person can have.

Tricky, in the commonwealth where I live the only semi-auto firearm legal for hunting is a shotgun. I gues a Browning humpback is not evil, according to the Game Commission. My .22 Buckmark is only used to kill paper, and ward off intruders to my home. I might actually try my Nagant pistol on Squirrel some day; ground shots only.

Wayne

LAH
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks..that reminds me...I need another mold.

You're welcome. HEE HEE

02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Hogs with a .44 T/C & 10mm semi-auto. Deer with a .44 T/C & .30 Herret T/C. As soon as I can save some money for a scope, I plan on adding .35 Herret T/C to the list. Come to think of it, once I had to dispatch an injured (road accident I came upon) deer with my ever present .22 LR NAA mini revolver. Humanity required it's relief from further suffering. One shot to the back of the head was instantaneous.

TXGunNut
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Sure like you "need" another mould. -LAH

All kidding aside I was planning on using the RD 359-190 in my Contender. It likes the Hornady 180 (really, really likes it!) but I may need to consider other options.
I have a 10" (?) 44 barrel that I have little use for, it was attached to a receiver with a red dot sight and the price seemed a bit low. Used it for load development so I could load for my brother's 44 and it's been idle ever since. I know, flimsy excuse for buying a gun, us single guys can get away with that. ;-) I don't have any 429 moulds, so mebbe I do "need" another mould.

whelenshooter
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
1 Whitetail so far with a handgun and cast bullet. Ruger Super Redhawk, 7.5 barrel, Ruger 480, 400 grain Lee bullet, Accurate #9 powder, shot the doe head on at about 18 paces. Bullet entered just to the right of her sternum traversed the whole length of her body, punched her lungs and liver, missed the intestines, broke her ham bone and came to rest just under the hide. Bullet was cast with wheel weights. It still weighed 380 grains after taking out ribs and that ham bone.

Don't have the 480 anymore. Now have a 454 Casull Super Redhawk and haven't hunted with it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

David

TXGunNut
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Now have a 454 Casull Super Redhawk and haven't hunted with it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

David

Too bad about the 480, sounds like an excellent performer. I'm betting the 454 will serve you well. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. What barrel length do you have? Optics?

dmitch
02-05-2012, 03:00 AM
I used handguns a good deal more in the past than recently..... but got started with the big handguns because I despised slug guns so much for deer hunting. Couple of deer with the Ruger Super Blackhawk (429244 GC), couple of deer with the T/C 357 Herrett ( jacketed, but have now developed an awesome RCBS 35-200 GC load).......oh, finished off one of my deer with a 100+ yd shot with the T/C 30 Herrett (jacketed also). Made another finishing shot with the 44 Mag at 160 yds after I hit a deer with the slug gun at 50 yds, then proceeded to miss with the next 3 slugs at 145,150 & 155 yds and it was getting away. Love those 429244s!
Have shot a few woodchucks with the Colt 357 Mag which has never seen anything but cast boollits. One woodchuck I remember was taken with my Ruger Single Six with the 22 Mag cylinder.
dmitch

pls1911
02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Handgun hunting is very rewarding. I normally use a TC in .357, .30-30, or .45 colt if I'm not carrying a Marlin 30-30 or 45-70.

Silliness enters the picture with a 45-70 TC with a muzzle brake, around 16" OAL.
Ranch Dog's 340 grain or RCBS 300 grain is launched at 1500 fps..
Gives a silly-accurate little clover leaf one hole performance at 50 yards
Gives a silly dust cloud from the ground when fired
Gives an impulse pressure and noise level which clears nearby range benches with one shot (muzzle brake under a low tin roof will rattle your fillings!!)

Gives a serious knuckle busting, even with special gloves.
Three shots and my 3rd and 4th finger knuckles are crippled for a month, but wow what an effect on pigs.
Think I'll leave the .45-70 to the Marlins, Rugers, and Sharps...
Had enough fun to last awhile.

TXGunNut
02-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Gives a silly-accurate little clover leaf one hole performance at 50 yards
Gives a silly dust cloud from the ground when fired
Gives an impulse pressure and noise level which clears nearby range benches with one shot (muzzle brake under a low tin roof will rattle your fillings!!) -pls1911

My Contender in 35 Rem (w/ muzzle brake) does all of the above but I can't fire more than three shots for group testing. Last time out with hunting loads it fired two fine 100 yd groups, "big" one was .80".
Always wanted to fire a Contender in 45-70. There was a discussion with a couple of friends awhile back about co-op 'ing a barrel. We all have Contenders and load for the 45-70 but none of us see the need to own a 45-70 Contender bbl.

Judan_454
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Its nice to see so many handgun hunters out there.When I first started handgun hunting I carried a rifle and a 44 mag. I thought if I was going to be true handgun hunter I was going to have to get rid of my rifle. Havent hunted with a rifle in about 10 yrs, killed two nice 8 pointers and several does with my 44 mag super redhawk. I dont think I will ever go back its much more satistifing when make a kill with a revolver, with hand cast bullets at 40 to 50 yds than it ever was with a rifle. You as a handgun hunter just have to except the limitations of a revolver and you wont go back.

Shooter
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Always wanted to fire a Contender in 45-70. There was a discussion with a couple of friends awhile back about co-op 'ing a barrel. We all have Contenders and load for the 45-70 but none of us see the need to own a 45-70 Contender bbl.

The .45-70 in a handgun is a show piece. The excessive case volume is even more of a problem (unless you love muzzle flash).

Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.
I load mine with the 457122. Great for white tails.

Win1917
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Handgun hunter here but new to casting so I don't have any CB deer loads yet but hoping to change that for next season. The closest I hunted with this season was 357 Max in a Contender carbine with a Lyman 358429 but never had a shot at any deer with it.

For next season I'm thinking about using that bullet (or something heavier) in a 357 Herrett. Also have a 375 JDJ that I'd like to get the Accurate 38-265D mold and see what kinda damage I can do with it.

TXGunNut
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.-Shooter

I like that idea! Wonder if anyone still has a Contender barrel in .454? I don't have an Encore frame.

RevGeo
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Late to check in here, but I like to hunt with my S&W Mod 19, 6" barrel. I've shot some grouse with it (forest grouse legal without a shotgun here) and I'd like to get a deer with it, but haven't yet. Feels good to have it in my shoulder holster when I'm fly fishing in bear and moose country.

Shooter
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.-Shooter

I like that idea! Wonder if anyone still has a Contender barrel in .454? I don't have an Encore frame.

The Contender will not take the .454 pressures, Encore only.

marshall623
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
For deer 30 Herrett and 7-30 gets the nod.I cast for the 7mm's ,but not for hunting . Where can you get a 7mm Hunter mold . Those look like they would put a hurtn' on a whitetail- cast out of AC WW's . I don't know how 130 soupcans would do.

Win1917
02-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Where can you get a 7mm Hunter mold

In the group buy forum there's a 7mm hunter going on right now

whelenshooter
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Too bad about the 480, sounds like an excellent performer. I'm betting the 454 will serve you well. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. What barrel length do you have? Optics?

7.5" with standard sights thus far. Considering some form of optics since my eyes ain't what they use to be.

David

TXGunNut
02-10-2012, 12:24 AM
See if you can find an aperture adapter for your rear sight. One Ragged Hole used to make them but I hear they're not being maufactured these days. Pretty simple design, if you can't find one I'm sure someone will start making them again soon.

Buddy
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I've been hunting with the same Dan Wesson 744VH8 for so long I've lost count. This revolver has been a constant companion in the woods for close to 20 yrs. I scoped it quite a few yrs ago. Best game shot so far was a groundhog @ a ranged 114yds. Everybody gets lucky now and again!

Nora
02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I've successfully used my .357 mag on deer with an RCBS .38-158 SWC. Mixed bag small game and grouse wile walking the trails I use a .32 S&W long with an RCBS .32-98 SWC. And my Ruger Mk II target for rabbit and squirrel when I need the challenge more than the meat.

Nora

johnlaw484
03-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Go ahead and laugh at me if you like. My handgun of choice is my Kimber 1911 5" TLE for shots 50 yards or less.

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Not laughing. I've finished off a wounded hog and a wounded badger with a well-placed shot from a trusty .45. Black Talon J-bullets didn't do very well on the hog (long, embarassing story) but a po'd badger succombed to the same round between the eyes @ 20 ft. Mine are not capable of what I consider hunting accuracy but sometimes they come along and are pressed into service.

kenyerian
03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I've used Handguns for hunting since I bought my Rugar single Six in 1968. I did a lot of trapping back then and carried it as a trapline gun. I also night hunted and it's shot several raccoons. Since then I've used 357, 44 mag, 222, 223 ,7TCU, 45 colt/410 and 22 hornet. I have started my Grandsons shooting also. I carried a Contender with the 45/410 barrel rabbit hunting a lot this year. Deer hunt with the 44 mag. Luv to hunt with handguns. I do use a lot of cast Boollits in these.

Whitworth
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I hunt with handguns almost exclusively nowadays. I have used .44 mags, .45 Colts, .454 Casulls, .460 S&W, .480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, .500 Linebaugh, on deer, hogs (LOTS of hogs), moose, and black bear.

flipajig
03-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Depends on the range I use eather my Contender or Encore for up close it will be my SBH loaded with a 240 grn cast booltie.

eddie gunks
03-26-2012, 04:18 AM
i got my 1st deer this year (2011 season) with my new colt 1911. the pistol was 4 days old at the time.

i have shot some squirrels and rockchucks with a .22 years back......

44 flattop
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
i got my 1st deer this year (2011 season) with my new colt 1911. the pistol was 4 days old at the time.

That is very cool. I've taken hundreds of deer with my .44's, but have never yet taken out any of my .45's to hunt deer. My only .45 kill was shooting the head off a ruffed grouse a few years back.

ahandgunhunter
06-09-2012, 06:42 PM
i was hooked on handgun hunting when i was 18. Took a couple of years to take any game with one. but it all started with a t/c contender in 35 remington it has taken deer and hogs. in the last 10 years i have taken deer with 35reminton, 7mm br, 30-06,6.5mm jdj,44mag,357mag.460mag and 50cal blackpowder encore pistol. 44mag.357mag ,460mag all with my own cast bullets. i have few others that need to be brike in this year 500 s&w, 480ruger and 454 plus some other single shots mainly plan on using six guns this year.

zippidydoodah
06-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Shot bobcat with detective special
Shot fox with tc 7-30
Rabbits with high std supermatic
Eyes aren't what they used to be but want to use a new(to me) 35 herrett bbl on deer and pigs Casted some 210 grain that should move about 1800 fps.

LAH
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Shot bobcat with detective special

I'd like the story behind that?

429421Cowboy
06-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Shot a deer two years ago when i was 17, then another last year, both with my 4 5/8 SBH. I hope to take an antelope with it this fall if i draw a tag, and as always will hope to someday get a chance for elk, but by then hopefully will be able to own more than one hangun of my own so i can have a dedicated longer bbl .44 or .45 boolit shooter for hunting that also doesn't have to pull bear/carry/plinking/practice duty as well. I hunt with my daily carry/practice load, 240 SWC over 9.5 of Unique, it works good on the deer sized critters and i don't need to burn twice the weight of 2400 for a couple fps more anyways. I have taken everything from pidgons and snakes to 'coons and porcupines with it in the off-season, it lives with me and has me totally hooked on handgun hunting! I love getting close to game on the ground still hunting and i find a handgun the perfect tool for it.

Whitworth
06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I hunt with handguns almost exclusively nowadays. I just get a whole lot more out of it than I ever did with a scoped rifle.

Grandpas50AE
06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
The last Whitetail I took was a few years ago with my Kimber Eclipse .45 full-size 5". Worked just fine, but wanted to reach out a little further so I got an Eclipse 5" in 10mm Auto but haven't been able to shoot one with it yet. My oldest son keeps bagging out in the first few days of season, and I don't have enough freezer space for more than 3 deer. Many deer taken over the years with the .44 mag SBH. Only time I hunt with a rifle is when hunting the large pastures where the shots are out to 350 yards. The .44's are 429244 GC with loaded up with 20 gr. H110 - after GC'ing and lubing they are right at 275 gr. My brothers, my best friend and I have taken more deer than we can recall with that load.

whiteoak
06-21-2012, 02:55 AM
I shoot a TC contender 10" .44mag with lee 310gr gas check flat nose. Works well on the deer never recovered a bullet. and they shoot great sized .430 I sighted in at 75 yards, because thats what my home range allowed and was well under an inch. good enough for me in the woods! I was looking for something that would penetrate and leave a good exit for blood loss and found it with an cheep mould.

Dale53
06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
whiteoak;

>>>found it with an cheep mould.<<<

Found it with an INEXPENSIVE mould...:mrgreen:

Dale53

TXGunNut
06-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Went to the range to shoot our 45 Colt BP stuff but had an old Ruger MKI along. We're having quite a remarkable grasshopper population explosion and a couple started eating our targets! Needless to say, we had some new targets. :D Old MKI still has it, some days I do too! Would post pics but it was hard to find the pieces in the tall grass.