PDA

View Full Version : Herrett's Stocks

saz
12-25-2011, 04:51 AM
I am looking into getting some new stocks for my 7.5" BFR in 500S&W as the factory ones just dont agree with me all that well. I was thinking about some Pachmayr Decelerators, but I keep seeing different types of Herretts and I have to wonder if a properly sized set of grips will tame recoil as well as rubber? I have never handled a pistol with a set fitted, nor have I seen a single action with them on.

I know that with rifles stock geometry significantly affects felt recoil, is it the same with handguns? Anyone have a set fitted to a real hard kicker?

GARCIA
12-25-2011, 06:00 AM
SAZ:

Spend the money on a set and you will never want any brand again!!!!
I have 5 sets of their "Jordan Trooper's" on my Redhawks. Made a huge differance in felt recoil and controlability.
Gave up on the rubber/plastic ones after getting my first set from them.

Tom

Guesser
12-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I use Herretts on Ruger single actions, Ruger DA's, Colt DA's. I first fell in use of them back in the late 70's, best product of it's type available, IMO.

kelbro
12-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Not recoil related but I have shot much better scores with my K22 Masterpiece since I installed the Herretts several years ago. Great grips.

crabo
12-27-2011, 02:14 AM
I have thought about ordering a set quite a few times, but I have never know which set to order without being able to feel them.

Any advice? Like what is the difference between the Trooper and the custom Shooting Master? I like the covered backstrap for my hands.

GARCIA
12-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Give them a call and explain to them that you are a little lost in the grip selection process. I forget the daughters name (Rhonda?)but she usually handles all the customer service and she will guide you through it.

It is a great family buisness and they fully want to make the customer happy.

Tom

Guesser
12-27-2011, 10:53 AM
For general use I found that checkered "Shooting Star" style worked very well for me.

crabo
12-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Any advice? Like what is the difference between the Trooper and the custom Shooting Master? .

The Jordons have a palm swell on one side and the Shooting Masters are asymmetrical.

Anyone have any thoughts about the wood vs the rubber grips on hard kicking guns?
(I have X Frame grips on my 629 and it seems like all my revolver grips are rubber with finger grooves.)

How about finger groove vs smooth?

I have about come to the conclusion I am just going to have to try a set. I called them today and they weren't much help. They really just said, if the grips are too large, they'll shave them down for you.

44man
12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Great grips if they fit you. They will go out of their way for you to make it right.
RECOIL, maybe not, it is still there.

RKJ
12-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I've not used Herrett's but have tried Hogue rubber (I liked them much better than the Pachmayrs) and both Presentation and Grippers which did not help at all (at least for me). I got a 629 with S&W combats on it and those are some of the most comfortable grips I have used. They really tame the full power loads and they look great to boot.

saz
01-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I finally got a reply from Herret's, and they do not make grips for the BFR. Well that idea is out the window.