PDA

View Full Version : Non Contact IR Thermometer

JD43
12-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Does anyone use one? How do you like it? What's a good brand?

Catshooter
12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
We talked about this a while back JD. Mine reads off of a dark surface fine, but not off of the surface of molten lead fer squat. Mines a Fluke.

Welcome to the forum too.

Cat

ReloaderFred
12-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Mine won't read molten lead, either. They need a good surface to read from, and lead apparently isn't it. I can read a wall right next to a thermometer and get within a couple tenths of the reading on the digital thermometer, but it won't read what's in my lead pot within a couple hundred degrees.

You're much better off with a dip type thermometer that you stick into the melt.

Hope this helps.

Fred

HATCH
12-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Its good if you want to see how hot your ingots are before you touch them with your bare hands.. - lesson learned.. LOL

cajun shooter
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I received a very nice IR Craftsman after the purchase of a group of automotive tools in which it was included. They are very valuable in auto work.
First thing that I tried outside of that was my grease while frying a Turkey; it does not work as you receive all kinds of false readings.
I tried it again while casting and found the same as has been posted.If you point it at any surface that has reflection you will get false feedback.
Take Care David