PDA

View Full Version : NEI question

hornetguy
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Has anybody had any experience with NEI's 4 cavity molds? I'm thinking about a 22 cal one, in aluminum. I've never used any NEI molds... in fact, I'm not sure I've ever SEEN one. Judging from some of the threads on here, quality is usually pretty good... but I've never seen any discussion of a four-holer...

Scrounger
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Has anybody had any experience with NEI's 4 cavity molds? I'm thinking about a 22 cal one, in aluminum. I've never used any NEI molds... in fact, I'm not sure I've ever SEEN one. Judging from some of the threads on here, quality is usually pretty good... but I've never seen any discussion of a four-holer...

Not a lot of experience but what I've seen puts them far above Lee, possibly on a par with Lyman. They are more expensive than Lyman which means they're a lot less common and, possibly as a consequence of that, many of their designs look a little odd to us. We look at molds through Lyman's eyes so to speak. They have many more designs than Lyman or RCBS and there's a couple of them I want to get one way or another. The .225-70-GC group Buy we're running is almost a straight copy of an NEI bullet as ib the .359-125-GC we hope to get started.

45 2.1
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I have a few. They are finished and fit nicely with steel alignment pins and sockets with a good sprue plate. The cavities are ok and uniform, just not pretty, much like a Lyman cavity with semi- smooth cherry marks in the cavity. Serviceable work and worth having.

Dale53
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a couple of NEI's moulds (four cavities as well as a couple of two cavities) made when Walt Melander was alive. I have been MORE than satisfied with them.

Very high Quality and cast well (of course, if they are high quality, they cast well[smilie=1:).

Dale53

475/480
02-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a gotten a couple of the 5 and 6 cavity moulds since Walt Melanders death and the moulds are well made and to spec.Though 22 cal will be tougher to get to temp and casting good bullets.

Sean

C A Plater
02-28-2007, 03:36 PM
The only 4 cavity NEI mold is an aluminum .264-125-GC-DD #24 I use in my 6.5 TCU barrel. I had the front ridge left off because of a short throat on the custom barrel and had one of the 4 cut without the gas check for fire forming .223 brass. It makes real purdy boolits and is not the least bit finicky about temperature.

GLL
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I have one 4-cavity aluminum and one 4-cavity iron mould from NEI. Both are for
.44-250/270 pistol bullets, well made, and a pleasure to use! I plan on ordering another special design from them soon.

The company is not good about returning e-mails but is helpful over the phone.

Jerry

threett1
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
The 2 bangers I have are fine molds.

hornetguy
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Great.... thanks for the replies...
It sounds like a 4 cav is in my (hopefully) near future.
I'm working on an idea for a mold temp stabilizing station. Hopefully I can park the mold there, and watch the temp on a digital output, and pour when the optimum temp is reached.
I'm hoping that by doing that, I'll cut my reject rate WAY down.

3sixbits
03-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Or you can make life simple and stick the mold in the heated metal for 30 to45 seconds, remove and start casting. You don't have to spend any money, the mold can not overheat nor will it be to cold. Fact is, it will be at the ideal temp for casting.

Ernest
03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I have two of their mold and have been very happy with them. :-D