PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pennsylvania Hunter bullet

7-30 Waters
12-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I am not sure if anyone shoots this bullet, but I spoke with the tech support person at Hornady yesterday.

He indicated that Hornady will be discontinuing the 50 caliber Pennsylvania bullet which is really the Buffalo Ball-et redesigned by Hornady.

Sadly, now that the in-line muzzle loaders have taken over the market there is very little demand for such a wonderful bullet.

The bullet was designed to shoot in 1:66 twist round ball barrels even though it weighs 240 grains.

Just thought I would share this information with fellow round ball shooters who may have enjoyed this bullet in the past.

Merry X-mas to all.

mellonhead
12-26-2011, 10:16 PM
That bullet is awesome in the TC 1-48" barrels. I shot many a tight group and deer for that matter with them.

Toby

docone31
12-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Mayhaps, someone should make a mold for them.

45-70bpcr
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
That does stink. I love that bullet in my Lyman GPR 1-60". Hope I can find some more. Thanks for the heads up.

12-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, for anyone interested MW shows them available for $11 per 50. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730932/hornady-pennsylvania-conical-muzzleloading-bullets-50-caliber-512-diameter-240-grain-box-of-50

They are a swaged, textured, tumble lube type bullet- so a mold can't exactly duplicate it. The closest would be a custom mold, pistol style with short tangent ogive nose and a couple of lube grooves sized to 510-512. You could come pretty close to the overall length/weight/design.... so would probably shoot about like the Hornady swaged Penn/Ball-et. Depending on mold type, you can design one on Mountain Molds that'll run about $75-110.

DODGEM250
12-28-2011, 07:59 AM
On a side note. Has PA allowed inlines yet ?

mellonhead
12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Only in the early season. The late season is still just for flintlocks. As it should be!!!!!

Toby

DODGEM250
12-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Only in the early season. The late season is still just for flintlocks. As it should be!!!!!

Toby

I have found that one grain of out-casted sand on the beach LOL I've never heard a single other PA hunter say that.

Roundnoser
12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
On a side note. Has PA allowed inlines yet ?

In addition to the early muzzloader season, Inlines can also be used during the regular rifle season, and in the special regulation deer management areas (Pittsburgh and Philadelphia areas)....2B and 5D I believe.

They can only be used to take a buck during the regular gun season.

krag35
12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Does this ballet have a hollow base? If someone has one, could you measure it's dia. and length? I'm thinking of scaling it up to 58 cal.

TIA

southpaw
12-29-2011, 07:56 AM
I have found that one grain of out-casted sand on the beach LOL I've never heard a single other PA hunter say that.

I will second the as it should be. Nothing against the inlines but they are more of a center fire rifle. I have a inline, percusion and flintlock. The flintlock wins hands down.

Jerry Jr.

45-70bpcr
12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I will second the as it should be. Nothing against the inlines but they are more of a center fire rifle. I have a inline, percusion and flintlock. The flintlock wins hands down.

Jerry Jr.

Yes we are out here. I love single shot rifles which is what in-lines are. They have their place and plenty of opportunities to hunt with them in PA as it is. Leave traditional flintlock season for flintlocks.

DODGEM250
12-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Sort of the same "feel" here with me. I own inlines, but, somehow, this old CVA Frontier seems to end up in the woods with me the most. I was just really curious about the PA regs now days. Used to be flint / perc only last I heard.

mooman76
12-29-2011, 11:53 PM
I am not sure if anyone shoots this bullet, but I spoke with the tech support person at Hornady yesterday.

He indicated that Hornady will be discontinuing the 50 caliber Pennsylvania bullet which is really the Buffalo Ball-et redesigned by Hornady.

Sadly, now that the in-line muzzle loaders have taken over the market there is very little demand for such a wonderful bullet.

The bullet was designed to shoot in 1:66 twist round ball barrels even though it weighs 240 grains.

Just thought I would share this information with fellow round ball shooters who may have enjoyed this bullet in the past.

Merry X-mas to all.

Ever tried the Lee REALs. They have a heavy and lighter(shorter) version in each caliber and the lighter one may work for you. It is very short for a maxi.

DODGEM250
12-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Ever tried the Lee REALs. They have a heavy and lighter(shorter) version in each caliber and the lighter one may work for you. It is very short for a maxi.

I'm still waiting for ML season to be over so I can go try these REAL bullets out here. I'm leaning more and more towards the concept. No plastic sabots, full bore bullet, I'm starting to feel the pros of the bullet design. These 320 Gr. bullets are exactly within the ballpark weight of what I prefer. Thanks again MoonMan76. I'll report back soon as I can with the results.