PDA

View Full Version : LFN PB bullets with 75-82 percent meplat?

Naphtali
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I have been loading WFN GC bullet shape in big bore revolvers and LFN GC shape in my 45-70s. These similarly shaped cast bullets shoot accurately although I cannot report they stop-kill animals shot any better or quicker than any other cast bullet shape because I have not shot other cast bullet shapes. I have been migrating from cartridge rifles to muzzleloaders and Sharps percussion breech-loaders. And Sharps rifles are to what this query pertains.

Is there any reason that a 30:1 plain base cast bullet with driving bands graduated properly for the Sharps cannot have a tangential or secant ogive nose with 75-82 percent meplat? I anticipate muzzle velocities with black powder to be comparable with that of heavy bulleted 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger - that is, between 1150 and 1450 fps, depending upon how heavily I load.

I am not overly concerned with leading. Properly designed, the bullet will self-center in bore. Black powder provides a less aggressive impulse upon ignition than do usable smokeless powders. And maintenance of consistent accuracy would be needed for fewer than six shots.
Tangentially, I have a bullet design in mind, but it is a composite of several bullets that need be combined into a harmonious whole. Mountain Molds online design software would be adequate, but it does not function with .54-caliber projectile diameters. I will appreciate a link to any online design software for such larger diameter bullets.

MT Chambers
12-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Have you tried the Lyman .54 cal. plains bullet?

Naphtali
12-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Have you tried the Lyman .54 cal. plains bullet?
I have neither tried the bullet nor seen one.