PDA

View Full Version : pedersoli sight

kokomokid
12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Anyone use a pedersoli long range sight and wipe between shots with it? I just bought a highwall that came with the sight on it. Looks like a well made sight not like the usual cheap made stuff but I see no way to wipe around this thing.

zuke
12-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I know the big pivot screw come's out pretty easily for cleaning.

Chill Wills
12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
If you're going to wipe, as in between shots like match shooting on the clock; ditch the Pedersoli sight. Pedersoli =Good rifles and barrels but Poor match sights for a number of reasons. If you are just shooting... they are fine.

But you can wipe between shots if you can make a flexable rod work.

Delrin rod

http://arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html

kokomokid
12-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Have never shot paper patch or long range. I think most people wipe between shots on paper patch and would like to try it but even a delrin rod would be tough to get around this sight.

nicholst55
12-25-2011, 09:06 AM
How about a bore snake?

Lead pot
12-25-2011, 11:49 AM
The best thing you can do with that sight is give it away, sell it, or throw it into the weeds. The latter I did because it is not worth putting someone through the frustration with that flip flop sight.

Merry Christmas.
Lp.

saz
12-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Cheap solution- find a marker flag they use on kids bike carts or ATV's, the ones that are like 6' long, they are usually like $5 at wally world or Ace hardware. Cut it down and drill the end for your jag. Works fine.....

montana_charlie
12-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Looks like a well made sight ...
Can you find that sight on this webpage?
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-accessori.asp/l_en/idt_9/accessories-creedmoors.html

If you can identify it, there might be some way to satisfy your need ...

CM

kokomokid
12-25-2011, 01:52 PM
CM , it is the creedmoor long range with double windage adjustment. Looks like a nice, well made sight. Looks like santa clause is going to put a Baldwin mid range on it for time being and we will see if it will maybe shoot long range. Tried turning the base around but large screw stops it even more in the way. Can you shoot paper patch with a blow tube? Sight is model 431 see the large screw just below the bottom windage adjustment.

Chill Wills
12-25-2011, 03:26 PM
The Winchester 1885 and the Sharps have the same hole space for the sight base. Often a sight meant for the Sharps gets put on a highwall with the problem like you have... can't wipe. By the way, stick with the Delrin for wiping rods. The fiberglass flag rod will not be kind to your chamber/barrel.

Everyone has their own likes and that is OK in my opinion you can't do better than a Baldwin.

If you have a Baldwin midrange sight you are set to 1000y with the Winchester highwall. The midrange staff would not be tall enough at 1000y for other rifles like the roller or Hepburn but I can tell you from experience it works fine at longrange.
I hope this helps some.

montana_charlie
12-25-2011, 04:22 PM
CM , it is the creedmoor long range with double windage adjustment.
Okay, that description nails it down. That is the USA431 'Silhouette' model, and it's a serviceable sight.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_146/pre_0/accessories-creedmoors-silhouette-long-range-creedmoor-sight.html

I got rid of the one which came on my (used) Sharps because of that big screw head you mentioned.

But, here's something to consider ...
The screw is there to lock the staff in position (windage-wise) once you have it set where you want it on a given day.
If you are not in the habit of tightening it down, you could remove it.
At least you could shoot for a while without it to see if it causes a problem I have not considered.

Another option would be to locate a replacement with a much smaller head ... or grind that one down. Currently, it is big with a large slot so that you can work it with a coin from your pocket.
If you don't need that degree of 'simplicity' you could change it.

I never thought of any of these things when I still had my 431 because I was new to the game, and thought I was handicapped with a 'bad sight' ... thanks to the 'throw it in the weeds' advice which is so common.
I shot some very tight groups with it while I had it, and wish I had kept it long enough to try what I have suggested to you.

CM

kokomokid
12-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I have had a cheap import sight and would not have bought another but this one came with the gun and looks to be of service. You all have give me several ideas to try. Gun was advertised as 45/70 and is a 45-2.6 so we are trying to load down for the steel animals and maybe long range latter.

wgr
12-26-2011, 12:23 AM
i have that same sight glad to hear some good things about it.

EDG
01-02-2012, 12:42 AM
The problem with these sights is they have large block that the aperture screws into. The apertures are also long front to back so that the sight will not fold close to the stock. If you remove the aperture several parts come off. When you replace the aperture the windage and elevation will both probably be changed. All in all a crummy design for a BPCR. If these features were changed people would be a lot happier with Pedersoli sights.

Lead pot
01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
EDG

Just wait a while and they will copy the MVA or other American made sight with just a slight change to not have a patent problem and then even get it screwed up.