PDA

View Full Version : Four banger

Tatume
12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi Folks,

Recently I picked up a four-cavity mold from a fellow here. The mold is an LBT 350 gr LFN for the 45-70. I was concerned that my dipper might be insufficient for the task, but the RCBS casting ladle is just right. Yesterday I got to try the mold for the first time, and was quite surprised. The four-cavity mold produces bullets substantially faster than twice the rate of a similar two-cavity mold. In the time it usually takes to make one tub of 400 gr bullets with an LBT LFN two-cavity mold, I made three with the four-banger. As icing on the cake, there are more bullets per tub!

Take care, Tom

Olevern
12-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Them LBT molds were way ahead of their time and are still a good choice in the field of custom mold makers.

stubshaft
12-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Them LBT molds were way ahead of their time and are still a good choice in the field of custom mold makers.

+1 - I have known and used Verals molds for 30 years now.

Tatume - I have found that drilling out the spout of the RCBS ladle worked better for me. I also shortened the handle about and 1 1/2" for better control.

Tatume
12-24-2011, 03:43 PM
+1 - I have known and used Verals molds for 30 years now..

+1 myself. I have many two-cavity molds made by Veral. Every one of them is excellent, and so is he. This four-cavity mold is even better!

Tatume - I have found that drilling out the spout of the RCBS ladle worked better for me. I also shortened the handle about 1 1/2" for better control.

Mine is old and has made many thousands of bullets. It does clog easily, and it is deeply corroded and tends to make its own clogs. What I may do is buy a new one, and drill that one as you suggest. Thanks for what sounds like a good idea.

Take care, Tom