PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 rear sight question

Atakawow
12-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I acquired a Win 94 with a non buckhorn rear sight. Can someone tell me what I have here? Is it factory?

Thanks.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_20111223_214126.jpg

primersp
12-24-2011, 02:25 AM
it's lacking the leafe and the 2 tiny screws

stubshaft
12-24-2011, 02:47 AM
It is just the base of the sight the blade portion itself is missing.

jlchucker
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
it's lacking the leafe and the 2 tiny screws

Exactly. From what little is visible of the elevator, it looks to be one of the more recent versions of the Winchester sights--either that or someone has changed the elevator for a recent one. From the looks of the barrel and the wood in that photo this particular gun itself looks like it's been used hard.

EdS
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
*If* this is a factory sight, it's missing more than the movable leaf and the two tiny screws. It's also missing the two drilled and tapped holes that the screws would go into! Ed

jlchucker
12-25-2011, 05:04 PM
*If* this is a factory sight, it's missing more than the movable leaf and the two tiny screws. It's also missing the two drilled and tapped holes that the screws would go into! Ed

Don't know how to post a picture of it at the moment, Ed, but I just dragged out my "possibles" box from the gun cabinet. In there I've got, among a few other things, a complete a Winnie rear sight. Those holes you refer to are drilled and tapped through the moveable leaf--not into the main part of the sight. The edges of the tiny screws hold the leaf in place by the edges of the screw heads bearing against the V-shaped part of the sight. That's so that you can slide the leaf up and down for adjustments finer than just using the notches in the elevator.