PDA

View Full Version : Planning to design boolit, have questions!

338RemUltraMag
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Ok, thank you for helping with the problems and questions I have already had. I am not a total noob when it comes to boolit casting, but I also have never designed a boolit before and want one that the praised "accurate mold" company does not have to offer.

My first large question is will a boolit sized to .314 be too large for a .312 bore?

Second, I want a boolit that has lots of room for lube so what is the widest I can make a lube grove and still have the lube stick in the boolit.

Third, the boolit in question is going to be for the 7.62x54R and I want a boolit that will resemble a 310 gr .430 diameter with a wide flat nose, how much boolit can be the nose and still stabilize? I plan to make the nose about 3 tho smaller than land diameter.

And lastly, I have heard of accuracy problems with a boolit shank siting below the neck of the case, so what's the deal here?

Thank you again!
Josh

Buckshot
12-24-2011, 03:15 AM
..............Sounds to me like you want a Loverin type slug. Carries plenty of lube, and it's easy to size, and should be able to reach through the throat in a M-N to engrave. Carefull about wanting a too large meplat. You'll run into feeding problems. Besides, I'm partial to them my oneself :-)

.................Buckshot

stubshaft
12-24-2011, 03:44 AM
You can go to Mountain Molds and use Dans boolit calculator to see how each component changes the boolit.