PDA

View Full Version : Is lead from old sink traps good to use for Boolits?

toddx
12-24-2011, 12:56 AM
My plumber friends are collecting old lead sink traps for me. I have not an idea what they are really made of. I am used to WW's and a little tin.
Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Mooseman
12-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I grab all I can find of that..it is pure soft lead .

plainsman456
12-24-2011, 12:59 AM
They should be soft lead,all these things are good to cast like they are or mixed with WW or harder stuff to stretch it further.

EDK
12-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Soft lead AND the wiped joints should be some sort of solder. Guys at work did this for me too. Get a hardness tester and use it on each batch you smelt.

I'd recommend smelting this outside and down wind from the house. You might get lead pipe from somewhere other than the kitchen! LOL

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Mooseman
12-24-2011, 01:34 AM
I asked My 87 year old Uncle who is a retired plumber and he said they used pure lead and did a pour and wipe and used a borax and water flux to "solder" in the old days the drains and lead sewer vent pipes... and later he used 50/50 bars of solder, and flux to join Lead vent pipes using a gasoline torch. So depending on the time frame the solder used may or may not be soft lead...He also mentioned that my Dad was good at doing Automobile body repair with Lead in the pre bondo days.

DLCTEX
12-24-2011, 08:43 AM
No! No good at all. Send it to me and I will dispose of it in a responsible manner.:p

warf73
12-24-2011, 08:55 AM
LOL DLCTEX

They need to be sent to my business address to be properly dealt with. My new business is to help properly dispose of LEAD and lead products. I smelt down the environmentally unsafe lead into safe ingots to be recycled at a later date into mini delivery systems. I do all this in the name of being green everyone has to do there part you know :)