PDA

View Full Version : mold modifications

randy merta
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
I purchased a Lyman 457124 a couple of days ago. My question is, if this bullet does not work out for me can I have it reworked to a long flat nose bullet mold? If so what would approx cost be and who would you have do it?
I have been a long time lurker here and finally posted up. I shoot a 45-70 Rem Rolling block and a Win 1886 45-70TD with 26" heavy barrel.
Thanks
Randy

Buckshot
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
.............randy merta, welcome to the board! Thanks for not lurking anymore :-). I hollowpoint moulds, and will remove GC shanks or BB's but I won't do any alterations deep in the cavity. It is possible that NEI might. I know they would at one time put DD nose bands on Lyman moulds but you'd have to contact them to see if they'd do anything else. The devil in this work is setup, and then grinding a tool if you didn't have one on hand. The word 'Setup' is easily said, but not so easily done sometimes :-)

................Buckshot

Scrounger
02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
The Ultimate Custom Mold: A Lee six banger, then have Buckshot grind out the gas check on two cavities and hollowpoint two others...

randy merta
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the replys! I posted this question after I bought a mold on Ebay and got to checking the numbers and found I had bought a mold I did not wish to have. I have many Lyman and Saeco molds for my single shot but would like another mold for my lever action. I have the 122 mold but would like a little longer and heavier bullet mold. If someone has a extra 400-420gr flat nose mold they would like to trade or sell let me know. If not I guess I will buy one and add it to the collection. Randy
Buckshot I have seen where you make and do some fine jobs.