PDA

View Full Version : New guy w/Pan lube trouble

south.texas.dead.I
12-24-2011, 12:22 AM
I just started doing pan lubing this morning and used the barrs recipe i believe, 2lbs parophin, 2lbs vasoline, 4spoons stp and 2 crayons for color. I set up these pans and let the sit on a wet towel for about 2hrs and popped a couple out. The wax is hardly covering the lube groove on some and most are less than satisfactory. Is there something I should add to the recipe to get better results? Any advice from any of y'all is welcomed, I'm shooting .40s&w 175grn casts

Tapatalk ya

Jailer
12-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Try pushing them out while they are still warm. If that's not possible with the steel pans make a cake cutter.

I use silicone baking pans to pan lube with. They peel right off the lube cake and you can push them through when they are still warm.

Ben
12-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Have you tried cutting out your bullets with a " kake cutter " ? ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119056

south.texas.dead.I
12-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Have you tried cutting out your bullets with a " kake cutter " ? ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119056

What do you mean kake cutter? Like a cookie cutter?

Tapatalk ya

south.texas.dead.I
12-24-2011, 12:50 AM
What do you mean kake cutter? Like a cookie cutter?

Tapatalk ya

Sorry just noticed the link, I'll definitly try using a .40 casing as a cutter and me being a younger shooter is definitly trying to save every buc possible...scratch that a .40 casing won't fit. Any advice on a cartridge that does?

Tapatalk ya

randyrat
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
If you get tired or fail at pan lubing you can use the "Ol" dipping method. Here is how it's done:
-Warm your sized boolits in the oven 125 degs F or so. At the same time melt your lube.
Using a small needle nose pliers grasp each booit and dip them into the lube.

- wipe each boolit bottom on a paper towel and place the boolit on some wax paper.

The trick is; the temp has to be just right.... Too warm and the lube will run right off, too cold and the lube will be too thick on your boolits.

MBTcustom
12-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Was that a fired piece of brass? They wont work if you have already sized them. Also, you need to drill a hole through the primer pocket to allow you to poke the boolit out with a dowel or something.

fryboy
12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
the kake kutter is indeed like a cookie cutter ( sort of ) usually a fired case ( unsized ) and modified works , the 40 being so short wont help much but the flash hole should be drilled out big enough so that something can push the boolit back out of it a 2" roofing nail or so can be ground down to fit inside the fired case ( and thru the flash hole ) dont forget to dull/round the pointy end ( hate to nail yourself doing this ) you could even get fancy and add a spring to help save finger tips , other than the fired case any thin round steel/brass tube of slightly bigger than boolit diameter should work , the more tolerance ( looseness ) the more extra lube however
personally with pan lubing i prefer the wack it/crack it method and also adjust my lube formula a lil harder to do it with
as for the unfilled grooves ... you'll have to make sure that the lube covers the groove and with all the above practice does help so dont give up too easily ,all that aside welcome to the forum and seasonal greetings !

cajun shooter
12-24-2011, 09:57 AM
We have a member by the name of Buckshot that makes them from steel for about $20. They are very nice as I've purchased two of themhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_59204ef5da29bdbec.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3104)

Boolseye
12-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I have also noticed that the boolits need to be at least 3/8" apart from each other and from the edges of the pan to get completely lubed.

338RemUltraMag
12-24-2011, 11:16 AM
+1 on the silicone pans, it's how I do my 9mm and it works great

John Boy
12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Any advice from any of y'all is welcomed Insure the bullets are hot to the touch of the finger before cooling the lube to form the cake

mdi
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I like to heat the bullets and lube in a pan together so the lube adhears to the bullet better. A bit of lanolin in the lube will make it "stickier" too. Finding the right temp. to remove the bullets from the cake takes practice too. Some of my lubes work best when the lube/bullets are just barely warm to the touch. For me, some lubes will let you "punch out" bullets and some are just too soft or not sticky. For those lubes I cut the bullets out. I used stainless steel tubing reamed out to a few thousandths over bullet diameter and tapered one end.

25ring
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I've found that if the bullets are too cold to start with you sometimes get incomplete fillout.Heating them up with a heat gun or hair dryer before pouring in the lube will help.FWIW---Mike.

Recluse
12-25-2011, 02:51 AM
I've found that if the bullets are too cold to start with you sometimes get incomplete fillout.Heating them up with a heat gun or hair dryer before pouring in the lube will help.FWIW---Mike.

Bingo.

Cold boolits combined with trying to cool the lube cake too quickly results in exactly what you got.

Heat 'em up, pour in the molten lube, let cool until lube cake is solidified firm all the way through, then use a "cutter" to extract the boolits.

:coffee:

thegreatdane
12-25-2011, 03:56 AM
The last three posts.