PDA

View Full Version : star sizer wont lube

bryonbush
12-23-2011, 08:26 PM
got my sizing die in today and wanted to finally start lubing and sizing tonight. the problem im having, it wont put the lube in the bullet. ive adjusted the punch every which way, heated up the lube, and have 90 psi for pressure. whats the deal?

and yes i do have lube in there.

Wots
12-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Was the pump primed? ie without the die in, pump it up til the lube is flowing?

BossHoss
12-23-2011, 09:08 PM
yep, make sure you have lube coming out the die holes or with the die out, the hole that feeds the die.....multiple pumps .... is the lube warm enough to flow?

If you got lube coming out in little snakes....then you need to align the lube grooves in your boolits to the lube holes in the die. This done with the top punch adjustment.

if you are using an air cyl...the piston may not be pressurizing the lube because it is stuck..

be careful 90 psi can cause surprises....unless you are just estimating the spring force you have screwed down with the lube screw. Be careful.

Bulltipper
12-23-2011, 09:22 PM
My Star didn't want to lube when I first got it brand new, I have the air feed, and the guy at Star said crank it up to 90 or 100psi and pull the die. Then operate the lever at the bottom of the stroke to pump out the air and prime the pump. You will hear a crackling - popping sound as the air bubbles come out. When you get the lube through the main hole, you can put the die back in and go to town. Hope that helps!

bryonbush
12-24-2011, 12:39 AM
got it figured out. when i tightened down the cap, the new air fitting screwed into the plunger threads not allowing it to sink down. after a few trial and messy errors i got the thing running perfecto running the pressure at 30 psi and lube heated with a room heater pointed on the machine. sized 1050 45 bullets in exactly 55 minutes with 1 refill of the lube!

blikseme300
12-24-2011, 07:57 AM
got it figured out. when i tightened down the cap, the new air fitting screwed into the plunger threads not allowing it to sink down. after a few trial and messy errors i got the thing running perfecto running the pressure at 30 psi and lube heated with a room heater pointed on the machine. sized 1050 45 bullets in exactly 55 minutes with 1 refill of the lube!

Happy lubing. Glad you got it going. Nothing like a Star.

cajun shooter
12-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear your problem is over. You may want to play around some with your PSI setting as 30 pounds is very low and you may end up with voids in your lube groves.
I have no idea which lube you use but it has to be plenty soft to work with 30 PSI.
Congrats on your STAR And Merry Christmas.

Cadillo
12-25-2011, 01:38 AM
There is a wealth of crucial information in this thread that should have been, but was not even mentioned in the Magma instructions that accompanied the machine. Even cheap Chinese junk comes with more informative instructions on how to use their *** products.

I've only just gotten my first Star, and while it certainly seems to be an ingeniously designed and effective machine, the poor folks who wrote the instruction manual couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat.

Between what I've been reading on the forum, some email help from one of the other members, and a lot of head scratching, I think I'm on my way toward having this thing conquered, but Magma should contract some Chinamen to rewrite their instruction manual.

BossHoss
12-25-2011, 08:13 AM
There is a wealth of crucial information in this thread that should have been, but was not even mentioned in the Magma instructions that accompanied the machine. Even cheap Chinese junk comes with more informative instructions on how to use their *** products.

I've only just gotten my first Star, and while it certainly seems to be an ingeniously designed and effective machine, the poor folks who wrote the instruction manual couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat.

Between what I've been reading on the forum, some email help from one of the other members, and a lot of head scratching, I think I'm on my way toward having this thing conquered, but Magma should contract some Chinamen to rewrite their instruction manual.

Actually,

I think that Magma should just provide a link to here......no manual could possibly cover all the happenstances in that have been asked about here.....

Case in point: the screwy happenstance of Byron and his plunger (pun intended).

This forum IS the manual....oh, and by the way....Thank You Cast Boolits!!!

Cadillo
12-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Actually,

This forum IS the manual....oh, and by the way....Thank You Cast Boolits!!!

Yep! Can't stress that enough regarding any facet of casting. Were it not for this forum, I would have lost interest before I even got my feet on the ground. Due to my Castboolits education, I can now do just about anything I want or need to do regarding cast boolits.

Hopefully by the time I've mastered the Magma, my .45 PB check maker will be here, and I can then turn the page on yet another chapter. I love the journey!:-D