PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mold

gbrown
12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Hello! Been a member about 4 or 5 months, but never on the posts. Just a reader trying to learn from your experience. I'm newbie, so be gentle. I picked up a Lyman mold the other day and it is stamped 450228, with a wooden handled stem that goes in the bottom of the mold. It appears to be a black powder .45 caliber minie ball mold. I say that, as Lyman usually indicates the bullet diameter with the 1st 3 digits of the number, and the stem seems to form a perfect hollow base. This is going to be an old mold dating back to the '50s or '60s. Thanks for any help you can give.

Red River Rick
12-23-2011, 09:35 PM
That mould will throw a 170 grain bullet. Probably for the .45 Colt.

BTW, It's of little use for Paper Patching.

RRR

gbrown
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I understand, it appears to be a minie ball for a rifle. I know I am probably in the wrong thread, but as a newbie, don't know any better. Mama never claimed I was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Thanks

Bent Ramrod
01-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Are you sure about the number? Ideal #450229 is a hollow based design for .44 caliber cap-and-ball pistols. If you have a good one, it should have a very slight rebate extending halfway up the bottom base band so the boolit can be started straight into the chambers in the cylinder. Some of them were made slightly oversize and were almost impossible to ram in straight.

gbrown
01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
It turns out it is a mold for a .44 cap and ball. Thanks for the idea. It is a 155 grain hollow base which is no longer made. Probably because of the reason Bent Ramrod gave. I can see no indent on the driving band. I guess an antique. Thanks for the help!