PDA

View Full Version : What handles for saeco??

Ramslammer
12-23-2011, 06:01 PM
G'Day
Title says it all. Thinking about a 245gr saeco mold for the 35 rem but hope I don't need new handles.
Juddy

MT Gianni
12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Saeco makes their own handles. You can thin Lee's to fit and re drill them but AFAIK, no one else's fit Saeco but Saeco's.

johnly
12-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Saeco makes their own handles. You can thin Lee's to fit and re drill them but AFAIK, no one else's fit Saeco but Saeco's.

+1 on this suggestion. I like the modified Lee handles better than my SAECOs.

John

cbrick
12-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Yep, SAECO makes their own handles.

I've never used the 245 gr SAECO but judging from the name Ramslammer I'll assume your going to shoot silhouette with the 35 Remington. I've used the 35 Rem in an XP in silhouette myself and I can offer a couple of suggestions.

To give that 245 gr bullet a reasonable trajectory you'll need to get the velocity up to where the recoil is . . . Well, stout is a very mild word. A very accurate bullet in the 35 is the RCBS 35 200 gr FNGC, plenty of momentum so no need to load it up to where it knocks the fillings out of your teeth.

I also used this same bullet in my FA 357 revolver and shot many 40's with it. Fact is that I think so much of this bullet that I bought NOE's copy of this bullet in a 5 cavity aluminum mold. Sadly he doesn't have any more but there could be another group buy sometime in the distant future but RCBS still makes it.

A side benefit is that the RCBS is the primo off the shelf mold and it's far cheaper than the SAECO.

Rick

runfiverun
12-23-2011, 10:49 PM
i use regular lyman handles on my saeco 248. [the 250 gr for the 358 winchester]
i might have slightly modified them but don't recall doing so.
if i did it was super easy as i don't really have that many tools.

Ramslammer
12-24-2011, 03:00 AM
G'Day All
Lokks like a set of modified LEE handles will be the go.
cbrick Yes I do a bit of Steel shooting. I have a rg2 rcbs clone from Swede and have used it a bit plus access to a RCBS and a Mountain mold custom 35 mold, but I want a boolit I can drive through a Camel and I thought the 245 Saeco would be just the ticket. Hopefully I'll get a trip out in the desert next year. Anyway it's always good to have extra molds.
Juddy

gbrown
01-25-2012, 12:44 AM
I'll go with the Lee as others have said. Just put a pair on a belt sander. Came out nice, fit well. Work excellently.

MikeS
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
The Lee handles fit SAECO moulds fine, except that the hole the mounting screw goes thru needs to be opened up a little. It's a very easy mod to do.

bobthenailer
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
A+ on the RCBS 35 cal 200fn gc rifle bullet, it shoots extremely well and may be just about the most accurate 35 caliber cast bullet , in 35 rem , 350 mag , 357 max , 357 mag pistol or rifle. I have shot thousands of them over the years.
As far as handles i use saeco handles on saeco moulds .