PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL450B with Lee Dies

grumman581
12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I have Lee dies that I am using with my Dillon RL450B. I have notice that when adjusting some of the dies that it says to screw the die down to the point where it just touches the shellplate and then to back off ever so slightly. One thing that I've noticed with this on my press is that this results in the die being screwed down so far into the press that the nut just gets a couple of screw threads contact. There's not even enough room to put a lock ring or lock nut above it. Is this just the way that the Lee dies work on every press or do other dies work this way on this Dillon press also?

No_1
12-23-2011, 06:11 AM
When I use lee dies on my dillon I run in to the same problem so I put the lock nut under the tool head.

grumman581
12-23-2011, 06:32 AM
When I use lee dies on my dillon I run in to the same problem so I put the lock nut under the tool head.

Hmmm... That's an interesting solution... Kind of means that you have to remove the lock nut each time you remove the die though, doesn't it?

Does this happen with other brand dies also?

EDITED: Nope, that won't work on my press since there is either no threads or maybe only one or two threads sticking through on the bottom... Maybe the plate where the die screws through on the RL450B is thicker than in the 550?

dillonhelp
12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Turn the lee lock ring upside down, so the o-ring is upward. 1-2 threads above the toolhead is all that is needed to secure the die in place.

grumman581
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Is it possible that the RL450B has a thicker toolhead than the 550?

I measured the toolhead on my 450 with a micrometer and it came out to be 1.080".

Can anyone check what their 550 toolhead measures out to be?

wv109323
12-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I measured two tool heads for the 550 and they measured 1.075 and 1.078.

Mike Kerr
12-24-2011, 02:49 AM
I have run in to the same situation and I have found that the post "dillon help" made is correct. In 45 ACP I only have two rings holding the sizer - but a snugged down lock ring has held for many thousands of rounds. The factory crimp die is also seated pretty durn deep but It holds just fine.

It bothered me a little at first but then I recognized that if it holds on two threads - it holds. The loaded round does not award the reloader with style points, just results.

I have also noted that the Lee instructions for seating their dies appears to be based on an attempt to simplfy and standardize the use of their dies "for the masses". In actual reloading practice there are frequently alternative methods or ways to 'skin the cat'.

Finally, when this type of question comes up in reloading threads some people point out that Lee dies are somewhat shorter than other brands of dies - then someone else will post they were shorter in the past but not current production dies. So I measured the height of thread on RCBS, LEE, Lyman, and some older CH dies to see if they were the same - they were not. Further from the dies I had available the longest and shortest maker were not consistent on all calibers of dies.
I did not catalogue or memorize the results for internet debate, but for my personal use I found the overall length or height of the die seems less important than the distance or height of the threaded portion of the die measured from the base of the die to the top of the thread. All are standard 7/8-14 dies but the height of the threaded portion varied between die makers.

All brands that I have tried work in either my 450 or 550 but require individual adjustments.

regards,

:-):-):-)

cajun shooter
12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I had the same problem and the easiest fix is to swap out the Lee rings for Dillon. You will have more room to adjust the die and it will reach fiurther down.

Mohillbilly
12-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I use mostly Lee dies in my 550b and the dies are sometimes a little short . I use lock nuts of other makes , and all is well . I use Lee powder measures/ dies for my bulk pistol/revolver loads of flake powder or Dillon for rifle or ball/stick . I just had to face it , 7.6 gr of unique in 45 Colt is good enough for my 1909 Colt and my plink'n load in Ruger . I do same the idea for ACP/Arim and my 1917 Colt/S&W ,70s Nat.Goldcup , and Warthog .Plink'n loads only. Special loads get marked and ID'd ,boxed and seperated . Hot and hunt'n loads get a red marker on the primers and are loaded for my weakest "strong guns" Ruger bkhks/redhwks Cassul Winie/Marlin and Dan Wessons. I will have to do the same for 06 and figure the best load will be for the M1 , the 03A3 and 1917 will just have to be happy with that.

lbaize3
12-24-2011, 03:52 PM
+1 on the Dillon rings. The newer one inch rings will hold the Lee dies in the 550 shell head without problem.

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem and the easiest fix is to swap out the Lee rings for Dillon. You will have more room to adjust the die and it will reach fiurther down.

+1 :drinks:

milprileb
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, Dillon rings will hold Lee dies perfectly and are recommended.