PDA

View Full Version : 8x58r

pilot
12-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Anyone load for it? I know brass can be made from 45/70 brass. The bullet diameter is supposed to be .323 or so. I found a Swedish rolling block in this caliber and was wondering if it was worth loading for. I haven't bought the rifle yet.

Haggway
12-23-2011, 12:11 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=22807&highlight=8x58rd

This thread should get you started.

leadman
12-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I have one of the Swedish RBs in this caliber. Mine was converted in 1891. And yes it is worth loading for as mine at least is pretty accurate.
Also be aware this is the 8X58 Rimmed Danish, not the same as the 8x58R Sauer. Also there were 2 different level of loads for this. One for the danish Krag and one for the RB, with the RB being less powerful.
A RB is a good rifle but it does not protect the shooter much if you make and error or get overly ambitious with your loads. the shooter tends to wind up with gun parts in his shooting eye and beyond.
Ignore the Data in Cartridges of the World and a guy named Bob Shell that reloads ammo here in Az. The data is just way to hot for a RB, and probably the Krag.
That said brass is available at times from Graf & Sons, or reformed and stretched 45-70 from Buffalo Arms. Brass can be made from 45-70, but 45-90 will make it so you can trim to proper length. Some use 8X56R and 338 Win Mag. My brass is some I bought from another member here and is from Buffalo Arms. Works good.
C&H has dies for this and my set works great. I purchased my C&H dies from Buffalo Arms.

I have shot the 160gr Lyman Loverin boolit and the Lee 238gr. available from Midsouth. Both shoot well. 12gr of Unique is a very accurate short range load.

If you buy formed brass the Lee 8X57 Mauser Collet die set can be used to load it.

Enjoy your shooting of this fun old rifle.

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Pilot,

you will need 45-90 brass to form it. The easiest way is to just buy 50 or more formed ready to load cases from Buffalo Arms. I have a Danish M1889 Krag chambered in this cartridge.

The Unique load is a good 100yd plinker in mine as well...

Rich

leadman
12-23-2011, 01:30 AM
If you want to either supply the brass or reimburse me for the cost I can reform some 45-70 or 45-90 with 45-70 being much cheaper. This will allow you to buy the much cheaper Lee X57Collet die set.
The rims on either one have to be made smaller IIRC. I do have a tiny lathe I can do this on.
send me a PM if you are interested.

pilot
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=22807&highlight=8x58rd

This thread should get you started.

Thanks, I hadn't found that one yet. Lots of good stuff there. I bookmarked it so I can find it once I actually buy the rifle. I think it may be a while, have to save some cash.

Haggway
12-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I hadn't found that one yet. Lots of good stuff there. I bookmarked it so I can find it once I actually buy the rifle. I think it may be a while, have to save some cash.

That thread helped me to get started. I have Two krags for that cartridge. Have not shot them yet, as one is a project and getting a new barrel. Its a singleshot action. I have to order a reamer first. You might have to aneal the brass from buffalo from what I have read. They have the dies as well.

Reverend Al
02-11-2013, 08:59 PM
A bunch of these Swedish Rollers have been sold up here in Canada and they are performing very well. I liked the idea enough that I bought TWO of them! They are sitting in my gun cabinet with a set of C&H dies and a Lyman 200+ grain mould. Another pair of retirement projects that I have yet to get to ...